Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picking a Competion CZ pistol - which one?

Stafford

I’ve shot a little bit of everything this year (IDPA, GSSF, USPSA, and local steel), but mainly USPSA. I’m going to get a CZ but haven’t decided which one. I’ve shot a regular 75B and a Shadow 2. I was very accurate with the Shadow 2, however, I only shot it in single action. Just didn’t think about manually decocking it to shoot my first shot in single action. 

Today, I dry fired 4 different CZ’s at my local gun range/store. All had very good single action triggers.

1. Shadow 2 Custom ($1,799) Best DA pull - lightest and smoothest

2. 75 Shadow Custom ($1,309) 2nd best DA pull

3. Shadow 2 Urban Grey ($1,199) 3rd best DA pull

4. Shadow 2 Blue ($1,199) not has good as the Grey model.

My pick - the 75 Shadow Custom. I have small hands and I have to reach farther on the Shadow 2’s for the DA trigger pull. It was quite a stretch and after pulling in DA over and over, I could really feel it in my forearm. The trigger pull on the 75 Shadow Custom was lighter than the stock Shadow 2’s. But the main thing for me was having better reach for the trigger in double action. The other plus is that I can use it in both IDPA and USPSA. So, I plan to go back on Friday and see if they have it on sale. I may just bring it home.

Any thing I need to know about the 75 Shadow Custom?

SP01 with a few CGW or CZC parts would be my choice given the criteria you’ve listed. 

That was the go to competition set up prior to the S2 release. 

The S2 with the same parts would be my choice since I do not shoot idpa. Sounds like you’d  want the reach reduction kit though. 

You might consider handling a cz that has a short dust cover vs. long before making your decision. All the platforms can be made to your trigger reach and pull desire. Weight balance of the gun is a more difficult change. 

I now use the CZC 75 Shadow after running a CZC S2 for about 10k rounds. I like the way it balances. I was able to buy a pair of them lightly used for an average price of about $880 each, so I think the one on your list might be over priced.
This one needs to have the SAO trigger swapped out, but it's only $800 - https://www.gunbroker.com/item/846285248

The short dust cover shadows are under valued in my opinion. Easy to make weight for IDPA's divisions too.

I compared the S2 with the 75 Shadow and had better DA trigger reach with the 75 Shadow which wasn’t an SP01. The grip may have been thicker on the 75 Shadow though. Not sure what the difference between a 75 and the SP01 is other than the rail. 

If the gun store does a nice discount for Black Friday, the 75 Shadow will be coming home. If not, I’ll wait before making a decision.

I shoot an S2 in USPSA Production and local steel stuff.  Small/med hands here too.  Reach reduction kit is the answer for the first DA shot.  The CGW hammer, springs, and some polishing make the action every bit as good as a Shadow 2 Orange I handled.  You can't really judge a production gun by one sample at the store. Igolfat8 is correct, the S2 has a deeper cut under the beaver tail.  Grips are easy.  What I find works well for smaller hands is a thin strong hand grip and a thicker support hand grip.  With some cheap G10s,  epoxy, and silicon carbide you can make exactly what fits you best.

32 minutes ago, Stafford said:

Those are factory pistols, correct?

How good are the triggers on those without the Custom treatment?

Da is in 9# range. A set of springs will do a lot for you. And short reset disconnector if you really want it.

None of the pistols I noted in the original message were on sale today at the local gun store. They discounted their plastic CZ’s, an A01 LD, and a TSO 9mm.  However, they did provide members with five free targets on the range and S&B 9mm 115 grain was on sale at $7.99 per box. I was able to purchase a 1,000 round box cheaper than I can normally find online. So, it was worth the trip.

21 hours ago, eerw said:

Da is in 9# range. A set of springs will do a lot for you. And short reset disconnector if you really want it.

I am building a second rig for CO, and this is what I went with. 
Delv it was $929 with the extra wide safety. Gun was $829. I was pretty happy with that price.....until I ordered more crap. LOL 

Nitro Fin, SRO, CZC adapter plate, LOK grips, springs, etc.. 

So now I have an S1 and an SP-01 for CO. 
I have had an S2 also. 

I honestly cant tell too much difference  between the three. For the most part and surely not at all while shooting. 
If I had to give an advantage to one of them, I would give it to the Shadow 2. It only needs a couple of springs to run top notch. 
SP-01 needs a few hundred $ in parts and some polishing
Shadow 1 only needs a few springs and some polishing, along with an extended FP (assuming running the low end of power factor). 

If you base them all on the following, they are all equal once you are done with them 

Good trigger - all three can feel very close to each other, easy 2# SA, and 4# DA. Smooth etc.
Grips, everyones hands are different, so all three need that. 

All three end up being close in total cost once done. 

So, for those that cant or dont want to work on your own stuff, the Shadow 2 wins. 
Everyone else, your call :)