Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big Dillon Tumbler

Looking at 'moving up in the world' a bit... I've got a little VibraShine vibratory tumbler I got years ago thru Sinclair Int'l that still keeps on working... but frankly nowadays I'm shooting enough that it's a little lacking in capacity.

Anybody here have a feel for the capacity of the big Dillon CV-2001 in terms of .223 Rem or .308 Win cases? I've got about 5k of .223 Rem cases and doing them a couple hundred at a time in the Vibrashine unit is slow going, to be sure!

TIA,

Monte

John,

I know how big they say it is in terms of .38 special (don't shoot that at all) and .30-06 (don't shoot that enough to matter for this)... I was hoping more like 800-1000 .223 cases, based off of my experience w/ the .223 vs. .30-06/.308 in my current machine.

Anybody shooting large quantities of .223 using a CV-2001 care to chip in here?

TIA,

Monte

Just did a bunch today, with ten pounds of walnut media, I just fill it up to the top. Using Flitz tumbler/media additive, it only takes about two hours to get them looking good. That said, I don't have a clue of the case count, but the cases filled a large coffee can and half a second one.

I regularly clean 2200-2400 9mm cases in the big tumbler. A apir of 9mm cases are virtually the same diameter as a .223, and reach from the base to just past the point where the 223 case necks down. I'd guess from that, that 1000 would be no problem, and 1100-1200 might be doable. I can usually do 4-5 batches of brass in an 8 hour time frame ---- using the big media separator, and already having the next batch of brass separated, in a bucket ready to go.....

About 1000 pieces of 223 brass is ideal for the CV 2001 cleaner. BTW, the closer the cleaner is to maximum capacity, the faster and better the cleaning is. Don't operate any case cleaners on carpet, as the fibers inhibit air flow, causing the motor to heat up excessively. Our motors do incorporate a built in thermal shutoff, but it does shorten the motor life if it occurs with any frequency. :ph34r:

I've got the CV-2001 and the big media separator.... Have had them running almost constantly for 3 years.... Love 'em... Wish I had 2 more vib cleaners to boot. :)

dillon is (of course) right... The fuller it is, the better/faster it cleans... (can't have it over-filled with cases of course).

Don't operate any case cleaners on carpet, as the fibers inhibit air flow, causing the motor to heat up excessively. Our motors do incorporate a built in thermal shutoff, but it does shorten the motor life if it occurs with any frequency. :ph34r:

I put mine up on ~2" spacers to get it off the table or bench, I find this makes it run cooler. (I don't use it on carpet though).

(Nothing magic about the ~2", that just hapens to be the size spacers I have.)

Edited by GuildSF4