Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is half cock needed? Mine doesn’t engage

Lucreau

If you feel there will never be anything that will bump the hammer off the sear, or slip when moving the hammer to cock, or uncock, it, then the half cock is likely not needed.  On the other hand, if something does bump the hammer off the sear, or you slip manipulating the hammer, then the half cock may save an unwanted (and potentially dangerous) hole in something.

In load development, I have had low powered loads that left the hammer on half cock.  Without the half cock, would the gun have gone full auto?  I don't know, but there is that potential if circumstances line up the right way.

I have not had problems with the hammer or half cock, but I have no intention of eliminating the half cock.  It's a safety we never want to need - like insurance.

25 minutes ago, Guy Neill said:

If you feel there will never be anything that will bump the hammer off the sear, or slip when moving the hammer to cock, or uncock, it, then the half cock is likely not needed.  On the other hand, if something does bump the hammer off the sear, or you slip manipulating the hammer, then the half cock may save an unwanted (and potentially dangerous) hole in something.

In load development, I have had low powered loads that left the hammer on half cock.  Without the half cock, would the gun have gone full auto?  I don't know, but there is that potential if circumstances line up the right way.

I have not had problems with the hammer or half cock, but I have no intention of eliminating the half cock.  It's a safety we never want to need - like insurance.

I appreciate the insight

10 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

If all you did was change the trigger and the half cock quit working, you did something wrong. 

Before with the sv trigger it had a good grip on half cock. Now with the other sv bow, it BARELY will touch the half cock and 9 out of 10 times not engage. Anything in particular I should look at?

52 minutes ago, TONY BARONE said:

The half cock has to work to have a safe gun. Getting it to work correctly requires some knowledge of the 1911.

Agreed! Any gun should to be used should operate in a correct and safe manner. period.

[Yes, disabling the grip safety is specific to competition pistols. That is okay because the gunsmith and the user, are fully aware of the modification and the gun operates fully and safely otherwise.]

You need the half cock to work.  That is checked at the chrono station.  I believe your new trigger bow is a bit too long, or you set the pre-travel arms out too far.  Did you get the tri-glide or the regular?  The last time that happened to me with a new trigger, I left it in the gun, placed a punch on the rear of the bow and gave it a moderate tap.  That pushed the rear of the bow towards the front of the gun and the half cock worked again.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

You need the half cock to work.  That is checked at the chrono station.  I believe your new trigger bow is a bit too long, or you set the pre-travel arms out too far.  Did you get the tri-glide or the regular?  The last time that happened to me with a new trigger, I left it in the gun, placed a punch on the rear of the bow and gave it a moderate tap.  That pushed the rear of the bow towards the front of the gun and the half cock worked again.

Thanks for the response. That was my thought, was the length but wasn’t sure. And I got the regular bow. 
After tomorrow’s match I’m going to give that a try with a punch. Thanks again!

4 hours ago, zzt said:

So I shortened the new bow, half cock works and engages. BUT when it’s at half cock and I squeeze the trigger the hammer falls. Is that checked at chrono, or just that the hammer catches on halfcock?

12 hours ago, Lucreau said:

BUT when it’s at half cock and I squeeze the trigger the hammer falls

Possibility 1.  You have a hammer with "safety stop" like a Colt Series 80.  That is normal behavior. 

Possibility 2.  You bent the trigger just enough to allow a "false half cock" with the sear on the lip of the notch, not captive in the undercut.  Dangerous in the extreme, probably worse than no half cock. 

On 11/16/2019 at 11:08 AM, Lucreau said:

On my limited gun I had half cock on a previous trigger, but not with a new SV trigger. Is the half cock feature needed? 

I've never installed an SV trigger........but it being a premium piece, I think it would have an overtravel adjustment screw that can prevent half-cock if adjusted in too far.  Have you tried backing the screw out with the new bow?