Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson DWX: The Mother Thread

Mdooz

26 minutes ago, benlineberry said:

I'm new to CZ's, so be patient, please. :D

I just picked up a DWX at MSRP off of gunbroker and am ordering parts to be here when it arrives; I intend to send it out to Vulcan to have it cut for an SRO (already in hand.)

My question concerns magazines; it only comes with two and I'd like to have at least 5. I've ordered five Henning +5 bases/springs/followers, but am confused over which mags to order from CZ. I know it takes "P10" magazines, but am seeing a few different P10 mags. Am I specifically looking for 19 round "P10F" mags to get those identical to what I will receive with the gun?

Yes, P10F 19 rounders

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/17/2023 at 5:20 PM, Seakphotog said:

I feel your pain. I need/want a wider left side safety. DWX safeties aren't interchangeable with 2011 safeties though.  We'll need to wait for after market or Dan Wesson solutions, I'm afraid.

That’s a bummer. I’m guessing the odds of anyone making an aftermarket option to be slim to nil.

3 hours ago, ColoradoNick said:

That’s a bummer. I’m guessing the odds of anyone making an aftermarket option to be slim to nil.

Reach out to CZ Custom and see if they have it in the works. They make an aftermarket extended safety for the Czechmate 

good day all. question to all who got one. I am waiting for the compact railed version. but reading all these posts I am getting concerned. Besides maybe a optic cut and maybe a larger safety does the gun really need all the other stuff? it seems we are paying GOOD money for these and than people are rebuilding it. triggers, guide rods ETC Does a $2100 gun need that much work?

2 hours ago, 1911vm said:

good day all. question to all who got one. I am waiting for the compact railed version. but reading all these posts I am getting concerned. Besides maybe a optic cut and maybe a larger safety does the gun really need all the other stuff? it seems we are paying GOOD money for these and than people are rebuilding it. triggers, guide rods ETC Does a $2100 gun need that much work?

Well - I milled the slide and replaced the grips, I don't have enough rounds through it to make other decisions yet.  It sure is a sweet shooter stock from the factory.  I've never noticed a difference replacing guide rods so I won't be doing that anytime soon.  The trigger shape and size are great, although I prefer a flat trigger so that might be something I change out.

To actually answer your question - no - you don't need to change a thing - it's a great gun out of the box.  I think those who are modifying it are either competitive shooters that want to squeeze out every last ounce of performance from whatever gun they're using or they like to fiddle.  I'm somewhere in the middle. 

Get it, its awesome! 

3 hours ago, 1911vm said:

The only reason i could see changing the guide rod is to have access to standard 1911 recoil springs. There’s nothing wrong withe the stock gun but it depends on your use. If you want it for competition it could be better. The 4lb stock trigger could be lighter, and it “needs” a magwell to take advantage of Limited Optics. Grips- my hands sweat a ton so it’s either lots of liquid chalk or something more aggressive. I also don’t believe $2100 plus a few hundred in changes is “a lot” when you have Atlas charging $6,000.

1 hour ago, ColoradoNick said:

The only reason i could see changing the guide rod is to have access to standard 1911 recoil springs. There’s nothing wrong withe the stock gun but it depends on your use. If you want it for competition it could be better. The 4lb stock trigger could be lighter, and it “needs” a magwell to take advantage of Limited Optics. Grips- my hands sweat a ton so it’s either lots of liquid chalk or something more aggressive. I also don’t believe $2100 plus a few hundred in changes is “a lot” when you have Atlas charging $6,000.

I guess if you are building a competition gun than I see what you are saying. But 2100 is a lot of money Just saying LOL.  just because there is something more expensive does not mean that its not a lot.  Just over the years I learned that spending an extra 1K on ammo makes you a much better shooter than 1k on a thingamigig for a perfectly good $2100 gun. 

But to each is own LOL. As long as we are having fun.

7 minutes ago, 1911vm said:

I guess if you are building a competition gun than I see what you are saying. But 2100 is a lot of money Just saying LOL.  just because there is something more expensive does not mean that its not a lot.  Just over the years I learned that spending an extra 1K on ammo makes you a much better shooter than 1k on a thingamigig for a perfectly good $2100 gun. 

But to each is own LOL. As long as we are having fun.

It’s all relative! I shoot a couple thousand rounds a month on average also. After competitive mountain bike racing guns are cheap! The DWX is the most expensive gun I have ever owned though.🤣🤦‍♂️

8 minutes ago, ColoradoNick said:

It’s all relative! I shoot a couple thousand rounds a month on average also. After competitive mountain bike racing guns are cheap! The DWX is the most expensive gun I have ever owned though.🤣🤦‍♂️

No Joke the new bikes are crazy. a friend rides  his is like 12k or something and he says he needs to update. 

I wish I had time to shoot a couple K a moth or even afford to do that even reloading .  but honestly happy you can. rock on

21 hours ago, regor said:

Reach out to CZ Custom and see if they have it in the works. They make an aftermarket extended safety for the Czechmate 

Just heard back and they are not currently working on any aftermarket safety options for the DWX

Another new-to-the-platform question.

I want to put Lok palm swell brass grips and magwell for a Shadow 2 on my DWX. What screws is everyone using to do this? My understanding is the threading of the torx screws included won't work with the DWX and 1911 screws are the wrong shape.

Edited by benlineberry

1 hour ago, benlineberry said:

I want to put Lok palm swell brass grips and magwell for a Shadow 2 on my DWX. What screws is everyone using to do this? My understanding is the threading of the torx screws included won't work with the DWX and 1911 screws are the wrong shape.

On 5/10/2023 at 9:09 AM, Toggleme said:

Check out my post on reddit for some details: https://old.reddit.com/r/CZFirearms/comments/13cxbw1/details_on_replacing_dwx_grips/

Long story short, 1911 grip screws 0.150-50 TPI. https://lokgrips.com/accessories/1911-hex-screws-black/ 

You will need the long 1911 hex screws and you need to take off a little bit of material. I suggest a bench grinder and not the shady stuff I did with an angle grinder. 

12 hours ago, benlineberry said:

TSO magwell, not Shadow 2

On 7/21/2023 at 10:52 AM, benlineberry said:

I ordered these from Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09TXZCVRB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1  They worked perfectly as they came.  I shortened them slightly with a grinder but don't think I needed to.  

8 hours ago, benlineberry said:

For SRO machining, I'm considering Primary Machine or Vulcan Machine werks. Has anyone used either?

Mine is currently at Impact Machine. Scott did an outstanding job on another project of mine. Highly recommend. 

16 hours ago, benlineberry said:

I searched but don't see instructions on swapping the mag release from left to right (not in the manual, either.)

Has anyone does this, yet? Is it as simple as unscrew, switch sides, screw back in?

It's like a 1911, but just reversible. Same procedure.

Just lightly turn the lock key while sliding it in until it finds the groove. Once you find the groove, let go of the catch and continue to turn the key lightly until the catch snaps into position

Edited by Ajohnson15

My only issue with Primary Machine when milling for a red dot they insist on refinishing the entire slide.  Concerned with the slide finish matching the frame.

Scott at Impact Machine will refinish just the cut area or if the buyer wishes he will also do the entire slide. For stainless I believe he gives the option of no finish at all if the buyer so choses.