Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I hate that

George

Holy f*#king christ... you have got to be shitting me.

Half the shit that works in other countries would never work here, partly because we're too big and partly because we aren't quite dumb enough (yet) to not call "bullshit" every once in a while. That being said, as a population, we are getting dumber.

Similar tax here in Italy.

If you own a TV, you have to pay an annual fee (€ 99.60) to the state-owned network, whether you watch it (you have it tuned) or not... <_<

Oh, and don't even think you can circumvent the whole thing: when you buy a TV from ANY shop, the shop owner has to fill in a module with your personal data, so that you can be tracked... :blink:

Same in Scandinavia - its about $100 / year and they come after you. The drive around with scanning vehicles and if they pick up a signal from an address not in their books, you get a fine. I think double the annual amount.

The first thing you think about when you see them scanning is Gestapo trying to find spies in W.W.II.. :angry:

I just use my TV as a monitor for DVD's. Wonder what they would have to say to me :)

They'd say that you legally COULD do such a thing, but you are obviously lying, so pay your tax.

Basically, the burden to prove it is just a monitor is on you, and if it has the ability to tune ANYTHING it isn't just a monitor, regardless of how you use it. The government's assumption is that you are a lying crook.

How does something like this get passed?

Reading this web page makes me think this is a joke. The excuses page in particular. They actually "spy" on you for enforcement!

Someone mentioned this pays for BBC?

This is just insane and I am completely floored. I can barely believe it, even after your other posts...

Ira

I'm ashamed to ask this... But my mind isn't open enough to find any logic on this...

You have to pay to... watch TV...?  :unsure:  :blink:

IIRC, when I lived in Germany as a kid, my parents paid for watching TV. This however, at the time, provided the bulk of the money for tv programming. TV shows would run without commercial interruption, followed by maybe 8-10 minutes of commercials every couple of hours......

Same in Scandinavia - its about $100 / year and they come after you. The drive around with scanning vehicles and if they pick up a signal from an address not in their books, you get a fine. I think double the annual amount.

Same in Germany! It´s about €100/year. But this fee is only for the non-comercial-tv-stations.

Other "taxes" to support the state that we pay just like this one

#1 Hunting liscense (the money goes for wildlife management)

#2 Boat liscensing/registration (to maintain the waterways?)

#3 Vehicle liscensing (probably the most legit, to maintain roads ect. but we might be surprised where the money goes)

#4 Building permits (you mean I need to pay a tax to replace my shingles on my roof?/ build a sunroom? ect.? isn't this "MY" property?)

#5 concealed carry permits (you will pay for your 2nd ammendment rights while we catalog you for our future use!)

#6 Try to make some ethanol (grain alcohol, which is legal by the way) to burn in your vehicle without the proper BATF permits, sure we support alternative fuels!

#7 Try to fly a private plane ,VERY controlled (it's for our own good)

#8 coming Soon!! internet use tax? It's been brought up several times so it's only a matter of time.

Feel free to add to the list, P.S. I would trade any of these off for the TV tax! :angry: