Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911 Light Primer Strikes

whan

Hi all,

Have a Colt NM 1911 in 9mm - getting light primer strikes perhaps one every 40 rounds or so. Seems to be somewhat random in incidence. Plan to try some other ammo to make sure it's not specific to a certain brand / primer.

Doing the pencil test, the pencil does leave the barrel but only clears by about 6 inches. Any suggestions for what to do? Perhaps changing firing pin or lower power FP spring? Believe there currently is a Wolff extra power FP spring in there currently

Thanks,

Will 

You could try a 17lb mainspring,  that is what I use in a couple of 1911s and it helps the trigger pull (slightly) but I get deep indentations in fired primers.  It's also possible that your firing pin could be a little short.  I'd still think it may be something in the channel as it doesn"t seem to happen with a high degree of regularity.

If your FP is Ti, put a new, heavier mainspring in or change to an SS one.  Clean the FP channel and do not lube.  Some slides require longer firing pins.  Dawson is the longest.  Cheely and some others are next.  I generally use an EGW SS FP.  I have one gun that absolutely will not work with a standard length pin.  If Series 80, remove all the parts and clean out the channels and holes.  It is surprising how much gunk can collect.  Polish all the parts before you put them back in.

• 2 weeks later...