Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adding a buffer spacer

So I just got into shooting a pcc in matches not long just for fun. I bought a complete NFA lower and upper. Been very happy with it so far and no issues. As I was researching and going through topics here and elsewhere I knew some things to look out for. I asked the people at NFA about the weight of the buffer and spring, and was told the right one will come with it. 

Now I haven’t had any issues but I did notice the bolt comes a good ways back past the bolt catch. Looks like I need a spacer to decrease the travel. My question is does adding a spacer change the feel of the gun? By that I mean recoil or more of a bounce to it?  I like how it feels currently but in reading it makes me concerned about potentially breaking the bolt catch at some point. Just wondering what your experiences have been. 

Thanks. 

Yes, tons and tons of info out there. 

In ye olden days we started with quarters. You can add/subtract to your liking. Then once you get the length you can cut a delrin rod, etc. Thankfully we live in modern times and you can go out and buy a short stroke kit from taccom, JP,  etc. If you don't like it, re-sell it for a small loss. 

If you keep your bolt catch AND full-length travel you WILL eventually break your catch. 

11 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The shorter the stroke, the flatter the gun shoots. It will hit your shoulder harder, but the dot won’t move as much.

It’s rare to find a really well setup PCC where the gun can be locked back. Most of them are destroked too much for the bolt to come back far enough.

Interesting, thanks. I’m not to worried about lrbho, was just going to fix it right since it had it. But looks like I have a little more testing to do. 

On 9/23/2019 at 9:24 AM, Acer2428 said:

Yes, tons and tons of info out there. 

In ye olden days we started with quarters. You can add/subtract to your liking. Then once you get the length you can cut a delrin rod, etc. Thankfully we live in modern times and you can go out and buy a short stroke kit from taccom, JP,  etc. If you don't like it, re-sell it for a small loss. 

If you keep your bolt catch AND full-length travel you WILL eventually break your catch. 

How much spacer to not break the catch?

1 hour ago, HoMiE said:

Most of the guys I know short stroking can’t lock back in the bolt catch so not a problem. My lower doesn’t even have a bolt catch. YMMV

My mag will not activate the hold open. I have a Taccom buffer. I was told to use a carbine spring and stack some quarters. I just wondered if there was a consensus among those that already do this what the best length is.

29 minutes ago, z40acp said:

My mag will not activate the hold open. I have a Taccom buffer. I was told to use a carbine spring and stack some quarters. I just wondered if there was a consensus among those that already do this what the best length is.

Start around 6-8 quarters and test it for your grip and whatever load your shooting. 

15 hours ago, z40acp said:

If you have the Taccom buffer you can get their short stroke spacer for it. It comes standard now with their 3 stage buffer kit. I dropped in the entire kit with my QC10 lower build and haven't looked back. Has worked great for over 2k so far.

Hello: Try using the quarters first to see if you actually like the shorter stroke. I have tried different setups and actually like the longer stroke setup. I do change the JP weights and buffer spring for my 131-134PF loads using 124's. I like to be able to lock the bolt back as well. My setup is not full stroke but enough to be able to use the bolt catch. My other setup is using a AR-15 carbine buffer with a weight change. Thanks, Eric