Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting School For Production Shooter

ramtough47

I am new to this sport but have been shooting for a while. I live in Tennessee and would be interested in getting some good training from competent Instructor in the USPSA type shooting.I shoot a glock 34. I need some suggestion and guidance from the more experinced shooters at this forum as to where and to whom to spend my money.It would be very helpful if i could find this type of instruction in or around my area of the country. I wished i could go anywhere, but with one child in college and one in High School I am some what limited on the amount of time and money i can spend. Look forward to everyone comments.

I would recommend Frank Garcia; great instructor, knows what's important....and what isn't...is fairly close to you, and is economical.

Sign up for odd days, i.e. Sunday and Monday....you'll be more likely to get one-on-one time with him.

FY42385

dry fire, get Anderson's book, get Kirsch's book, dry fire.

Did I say anything about dry fire?

Was where you are two seasons ago. Did what I said, jumped into "B".

Due to unforeseen circumstances this season, stopped doing what I said, stayed at "B", shooting high "C" level. Guess what I'm going to do over the winter.... <_<

Check out the IDPA TN state match coming up. Go to idpa.com and look at upcoming matches. You can email Kurt Glick and ask if Dave is going to do a seminar beforehand. Not sure if he wil but it has happened before.

http://www.midtnshooters.com/majormatches.htm <- is the match info

Here is the link to Kurt's contact info.

http://www.idpa.com/major_match_info.asp?M...%20Championship

I know it is IDPA and not USPSA but I think initial mentor training will concentrate more on technique (grip sights etc etc) than anything specific to USPSA.

In the same location, Matt Burkett had a class which was outstanding. I went in as an IDPA shooter thinking I was a mismatch because of the Matt being a USPSA nut. I could not have been more wrong. I have been shooting a Loooong time and thought I had the technique down. Matt showed me more in that one class than I ever thought I could learn or needed. I now use him for training my daughter and myself. Great Guy!

Steven

Garcia, in Frostproof FL.

I agree, sign up for a 3 day starting on a Sunday.

I went this past January. 4 people in the class. Lots of 1 on 1.

Be prepared to fire at least 2700 rounds. Blisters and duct tape on fingers after it was all done. Well worth it.

• 5 months later...

Highly recommend Garcia as well here in Florida. I just finished a 3 day class with him this weekend and it phenomenal. He practices and teaches the basics of fundamentals. To drill them in to make the movements second nature. I know it sounds boring and elementary but it's kinda like Golf, If your swing sucks you're going to ingrain those bad habits and they'll be very hard to unlearn, more importantly, if you get to a higher level (Class) you'll platau because your foundation is weak.

We did two days of drills and practice and then we shot the stages from the Florida Open from the weekend before on the third day. It's neat to watch all that you practice come together. There were a few guys that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn when we started and the third day they were hittitng everything. You actually saw the difference in your shooting and ability.

Frank is very down to earth and very patient, he is by far one of the greatest teachers I have ever had.

Chad,

What dates did you go?

This past weekend, Feb 24th, 25th, 26th. He's going to Iraq on the 15th of March and be back in June. I'm going to try to see him again when he get's back to do a refresher and take the advanced class.

Hey congrats on last weekend! I saw your score. Those stages are nothing like our local matches. To make it even Frank made us all shoot it as a Limited 10, since another guy and myself were shooting Limited guns and the other two were shooting a Glock and a Springer XD. Baseball was fun but the NASCAR stage was a pain to figure out.

if you are really interested in being a good ipsc shooter than you need to have the desire to want to do good. Paying people to teach you will not gaurantee you success. I would buy as many videos of top shooters and read as many books and go to as many matches as you can. Talk with some of the good shooters in your area and do lots of dry fire drills. I have seen people spend thousands of dollars on 2-3 day trainings that they didn't get squat out of, or forgot what they learned. At least with videos and books you can always go back to them.... Also buy yourself a video camera and video some of your matches and really critique yourself on how you could have shot the stages better or more efficiantly (sp) and then take that to your practice and work from there, but you have to have the desire to want to succeed or you will not..... Pk

Chad,

What dates did you go?

This past weekend, Feb 24th, 25th, 26th. He's going to Iraq on the 15th of March and be back in June. I'm going to try to see him again when he get's back to do a refresher and take the advanced class.

Hey congrats on last weekend! I saw your score. Those stages are nothing like our local matches. To make it even Frank made us all shoot it as a Limited 10, since another guy and myself were shooting Limited guns and the other two were shooting a Glock and a Springer XD. Baseball was fun but the NASCAR stage was a pain to figure out.

Yeah, diagnosing stages w only 10 rds is different. Im hoping to get in maybe 1 day before he heads out.

Highly recommend Garcia as well here in Florida. I just finished a 3 day class with him this weekend and it phenomenal. He practices and teaches the basics of fundamentals. To drill them in to make the movements second nature. I know it sounds boring and elementary but it's kinda like Golf, If your swing sucks you're going to ingrain those bad habits and they'll be very hard to unlearn, more importantly, if you get to a higher level (Class) you'll platau because your foundation is weak.

We did two days of drills and practice and then we shot the stages from the Florida Open from the weekend before on the third day. It's neat to watch all that you practice come together. There were a few guys that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn when we started and the third day they were hittitng everything. You actually saw the difference in your shooting and ability.

Frank is very down to earth and very patient, he is by far one of the greatest teachers I have ever had.

You Scurvy DOG!!! I tried to get in that class. I'm jealous.