Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightest 10/22 Barrel

l98ster

Hi everyone,

in in an effort to build the lightest 10/22 possible for steel challenge. I am looking for the lightest barrel possible. I would imagine it’s possible for a barrel to weigh less than 16oz.  Some say the magnum research ultralight weighs in at 13oz. Can anyone confirm?  The website does not list weight. Any opinions welcome. Thanks!!

George

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, l98ster said:

Wow!  Have you put any rounds through it yet?  

This weekend. But, I shot with the owner at World's and his gun ran perfect.

Edited by UFO

Here's the rifle with the 11 oz. barrel, Blackhawk Axiom Stock, Allchin Mount, and Burris Fastfire III. All in weight of 3 lb 5.8 oz. I think you'd be hard pressed to get it any lighter than that. 

IMG_20190830_204245.jpg

1 hour ago, UFO said:

Here's the rifle with the 11 oz. barrel, Blackhawk Axiom Stock, Allchin Mount, and Burris Fastfire III. All in weight of 3 lb 5.8 oz. I think you'd be hard pressed to get it any lighter than that. 

IMG_20190830_204245.jpg

Very nice.  Interesting on the weight, I would have guessed even lighter than that.  This is mine at 3lb 12.8oz with a full size CMORE.2023971381_newrfro.jpg.60f87a2de9c6db83aece1a7268df00a2.jpg

Was that off hand?  What are your overall thoughts on that barrel. I’m thinking of picking one up and putting it in my Magpul hunterX22 stock.  It’s going to be a steel challenge gun, but living in NY, I can’t  have a pistol grip, which severely limits the stock options I have.

Edited by l98ster

So, here's a review of the barrel. I was able to shoot a full steel challenge match today. It was very accurate, I would bet, the groups would tighten up from my sight in rounds.  The one thing I did experienced, being a very warm day today (Almost 100), about the 3rd string, I was getting failure to eject, or it was partially ejecting and I had to clear the chamber. I believe due to the tight tolerances, that the barrel was getting hot and expanding, causing the rounds to hang up in the chamber. The reason I feel so strongly on that is, as the day went on, it pretty much went away. My next to last stage was Showdown, and I was able to achieve a personal best of 6.88 sec. I think once you get past the initial break in, it's going to be a great barrel.

I just got off the  phone with the guys from Wilandusa.  They told me when I order my barrel, to include the type of ammo that I use so they can check the chamber with it. 

My my only concern was that he said the muzzle end of the barrel (shroud) is wide open, and looks like a 12 gauge barrel. 

If at all possible, could you take a picture of the muzzle. 

PM sent. 

Thanks!!!

-George

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2019 at 7:45 PM, l98ster said:

Some say the magnum research ultralight weighs in at 13oz. Can anyone confirm?  

Yes.  It is not on their website.  Their carbon weave threaded muzzle barrel is $347.  It is 16.5" long and weighs 13 oz.

1 hour ago, jrdoran said:

I do notice UFO was not using slideride but rather RTS2;  There is a weight difference; 

It's actually a Burris Fastfire 3. Not a whole bunch lighter than a slide ride, I just put in on there because it sits lower, plus wanted to see how it worked.

Edited by UFO