Lightest 10/22 Barrel

l98ster

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to say this thread has inspired me to consider RFRO.  I had briefly considered it before, but dismissed it.  Now I'm looking at a Magnum Research Switchbolt Tactical Black Rifle.  4.0 lbs., even thought the reviews say 3 lb. 8 oz. with a Kidd single stage trigger. I'm also looking at a Lead Star arms Prime PCC.  So if I get both I can shoot RFRP and RFPO one week and PCC and Open the next.  Sounds like a plan.

On 10/25/2019 at 2:03 PM, Blurryvisions said:

The shrouds are becoming a very popular option.  get a really short barrel, have someone who knows how to run a lathe make you a shroud to be legal and boom you have an extremely lightweight barrel.  

I don't see the benefit.  You can already buy 13oz. 16.1" barrels.  Why go to great lengths to save one or two ounces.

That being said, I can see this in PCC.  With a 6" to 10" barrel you can use the same load you use in your CO, Production or Limited minor gun and minimize recoil.

23 minutes ago, zzt said:

I don't see the benefit.  You can already buy 13oz. 16.1" barrels.  Why go to great lengths to save one or two ounces.

That being said, I can see this in PCC.  With a 6" to 10" barrel you can use the same load you use in your CO, Production or Limited minor gun and minimize recoil.

I agree with you on both.  I think it may be a decent option for 22 if you are a project kinda guy...and it could be cheaper i suppose.  for PCC there is definitely a benefit.  you think you can be to light?  i haven't ever shot a gun at steel challenge that was super light I always used my green nordic AR-22... its pretty light but i primarily wanted it to be for practicing three gun when i got it...

I don't necessarily think it is so much about how heavy the barrel is.  I think it is more about where the weight is. I have their barrel on my PCC, and what it did was move the weight of the rifle between my pistol grip and my handguard. Yes, it took weight off of the rifle, but by moving it between my arms I am able to swing and stop with what feels like more precision. My times tell me something has improved. 

I don't necessarily think it is so much about how heavy the barrel is.  I think it is more about where the weight is. I have their barrel on my PCC, and what it did was move the weight of the rifle between my pistol grip and my handguard. Yes, it took weight off of the rifle, but by moving it between my arms I am able to swing and stop with what feels like more precision. My times tell me something has improved. 

Yes sir that’s what it’s all about!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, you can shoot lighter loads with a longer barrel. Especially if slower powder is used. I run 109 PF ammo in my Open Steel Challenge guns. This load felt mutch hotter in my 16" PCCO with a comp. That barrel would run loads down to 104 -105 PF (measured in a 5" CO gun) which wouldn't run reliably in my open gun. Switched to a Taccom 5" shrouded barrel in the PCC and the Open loads run just fine with minimal recoil and dot movement.

I now have Wilandusa barrels on both my .22 rifle and pcc.  Both are amazing and super accurate.  The weight difference is very present, even just dropping between 2 and 3 ounces going from the TacSol to the Wiland because of the weight coming off the end of the barrel.  Very fast.

6 hours ago, Hammer002 said:

I now have Wilandusa barrels on both my .22 rifle and pcc.  Both are amazing and super accurate.  The weight difference is very present, even just dropping between 2 and 3 ounces going from the TacSol to the Wiland because of the weight coming off the end of the barrel.  Very fast.

After talking with them this morning, I decided to go the same way.  I ordered the 22 barrel for a build I'm assembling.  I had planned to do the same for the PCC.  However, the one I want is only sold with a barrel and comp.  If I can get it with the Lead Star 16" pencil barrel and comp, I'll do it and swap out the barrels.  Unfortunately, the only ones coming in have the BSF 16.1" barrel and comp.  That's $449 for the barrel and $79 for the comp.  I'll have to think about that.

14 minutes ago, tomv said:

`Why not use a shrouded 22 barrel? That's probably the lightest configuration with no compensator issues.

That's what I'm going to do as soon as I sell the BSF barrel.

I bought a 4.5 " CMMG 22 barrel and sent it to Taccom for assembly into their upper. Already had the CMMG conversion bolt for my 5.56 AR so all I had to buy was a collar to convert the bolt to a dedicated .22. About $ 150.00 for barrel and collar.

On 10/28/2019 at 9:31 AM, Hammer002 said:

what kind of accuracy are you getting at 50 yards?  

Want to make a LW gun for my younger kids, was going with a ULW Kidd barrel but if this shoots well then I will maybe buy one 

I assume you can’t get it threaded so you can suppress it if wanted to? 

Only 6” barrel with a shroud ...hmmmmm... 

Edited by stre-tch

12 hours ago, stre-tch said:

Want to make a LW gun for my younger kids, was going with a ULW Kidd barrel

I was going to do the same until I talked to Todd at Wiland, and read some reviews here.  Todd won't quote anything other than 1.5" at 50 yards, for obvious reasons.  He will tell you he gets much better grouping with his steel load.  That is for 9mm.

Here is what I went with for an ultra-light build.  Blackhawn Axion stock,  18 oz.  Tactical Innovations left hand receiver with bolt, charging handle and Tactical Solutions V-block and screws, 17 oz.  Weigand LLW 16.1" barrel (5.5" barrel with brazed on shroud).  11 oz.  Romeo5 red dot, 5.1 oz.  Kidd Single Stage trigger and pins, ?.  Hasn't arrived yet.  So 51.1 oz. so far plus whatever the trigger weighs.  It will be under 4 lbs.

Edited by zzt

I have an Ultralight Volquartsen barrelled action, no comp, with an axiom stock and C-more slide ride. The factory will drill and tap the receiver for the sight so the slide ride bolts right on. 3# 9 oz. Great trigger, gun runs 100%. Easiest way to get to a super light .22