l98ster

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, tomv said:

I'm confused. I thought that the Wiland barrels were shrouded. How can a compensator work in that setup?

It is a shrouded barrel, but the gas is still having to escape from the end of the shroud.  I have never noticed any real bounce of the dot with my other standard barrels that have comps on them, and do not notice any with this one either.  To me, one advantage with this barrel and the ports is the added noise.  There will be no problem with a timer picking the shots up if you get an RO that doesn't get the timer close enough.  Mine surprised me at how loud it was when I shot it.  

It doesn't seem that a .22 LR will generate enough gas to produce a significant reaction at the barrel ports. Not that one is needed for .22 anyway.

I agree that the ports make it easier for the timer to pick up shots.

22 LR certainly does generate enough gas to work a comp on a pistol.  Through an efficient 2-port comp on by 1911 conversion, the dot barely move when firing Eley Force.  With Eley Target, the movement is considerably more.

That being said, the 'ports' jrdoran shows will do absolutely nothing the help muzzle rise.  You don't need the ports to help with the timer.  I was astonished by how loud the Wiland barrel was with standard velocity ammo.  It is way louder than when fired from a 16" barrel.

I agree that a comp is effective on a pistol. To settle an argument on this subject, I wrapped the comp on my 22 conversion with about 5 layers of aluminum foil and then shot it. The aluminum was disintegrated by the force of the gas exiting the comp. Can also see the difference shooting this gun wit / without comp.

Took my wife's new build with Wiland barrel to the range to sight it in.  Functioned flawlessly.  Group at 25 yards was less than 1.5" and that's with a C-More that must have a 10 MOA dot so the barrel is clearly much better than that.  We're headed to the chilly range this am.  I'm sure she will enjoy the lighter rifle.

Shot mine this weekend in a match and I really like it. It ran 100%, and it transitions fast. It is enough of a difference in transitioning that I am going to have to work on stopping it a little quicker. I am very happy with it. 

What Ammo are you guys typically using in the barrel ? 

I ran CCI 'safe' coated high velocity  ( basically a coated mini mag ) this past weekend.  Only had 1 round issue after maybe 100 rounds.  The issue was not a jam, just a FTF;    I think the issue might have been the fact that I run a very light recoil spring ( kidd ).   I usually run coated sub sonic but given a plate knockdown rack, I wanted to step up velocity.   

38 minutes ago, jrdoran said:

I ran CCI 'safe' coated high velocity  ( basically a coated mini mag ) this past weekend.  Only had 1 round issue after maybe 100 rounds.  The issue was not a jam, just a FTF;    I think the issue might have been the fact that I run a very light recoil spring ( kidd ).   I usually run coated sub sonic but given a plate knockdown rack, I wanted to step up velocity.   

I am running Eley Force. 

12 hours ago, jrdoran said:

I have tried CCI Standard (0032), CCI AR Tactical, Geco Semi Auto and Eley Target.  The most accurate is the Eley target.  However, it cannot be depended on for SCSA.  There are occasional FtFs and failures to extract.  This is typical for a Wiland Benz chamber, I'm told.  All of the rest functioned 100%.  The AR Tactical was the least accurate.  The Geco was very nice, but you get liquid wax on your hands from handling/loading it.

I use AR Tactical in my RFPO gun, because it will not reliably cycle standard velocity ammo.  The last case of AR Tactical I bought is not as good as the previous cases.  I get a FtF about once every 300 rounds.  So I won't be using it again.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 12:30 PM, xpierrat said:

Mine is a work in progress right now.... playing with different things to go lighter than my 2019 gun which is around 3lb 11 oz ..... this one is currently 3lb 5 oz...

If that ModShot chassis is "Swiss cheesed", maybe it'll save some weight ? no ? Kind of like this.

emotionheader.jpeg?1569746225.940px.210p

Have now shot 2 matches with my Wiland barrel setup.   One with CCI 'clean' coated subsonic and one with CCI 'clean' pink coated high velocity.  All work great.   As others have noted, it is remarkably loud with the shrouded barrel, much louder than I expected.  Some kind of echo effect happens which is fine.   

Only downside is the 5 min explanation that is required to others when they ask what kind of barrel, how is it really only 5 inches , how much does it weigh,   is it legal, etc ?      🙂

8 hours ago, IowaNewbie said:

If that ModShot chassis is "Swiss cheesed", maybe it'll save some weight ? no ? Kind of like this.

emotionheader.jpeg?1569746225.940px.210p

I don't have the balls to do that to my modshot.  I do like that butt stock.   That is a short barrel, looks less than the typical 16 inches;

What is the 'thing' mounted on the rail  ( silver ) ?  

18 hours ago, jrdoran said:

I don't have the balls to do that to my modshot.  I do like that butt stock.   That is a short barrel, looks less than the typical 16 inches;

What is the 'thing' mounted on the rail  ( silver ) ?  

I first want to say that I may have inadvertently violated forum rules by posting a website of a vendor. I am in NO WAY connected to that website/vendor. I've sent a note to the mods asking for forgiveness already. My intention was to purely suggest a way to lighten the chassis.

Having said that, the silver thing is a non acoustic timer according to that website. They're a company out of Germany.

Have now shot 2 matches with my Wiland barrel setup.   One with CCI 'clean' coated subsonic and one with CCI 'clean' pink coated high velocity.  All work great.   As others have noted, it is remarkably loud with the shrouded barrel, much louder than I expected.  Some kind of echo effect happens which is fine.   

Truth about how loud the barrels are,, I have gone to standard velocity cci now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Frozen said:

Truth about how loud the barrels are,, I have gone to standard velocity cci now

I've found they sometime fail to fire or eject in my Benz chambered barrel.  Wiland told me he has no problems with them unless he doesn't clean the barrel after 250-300 rounds.  I had my failures a lot sooner than that.  So ammo I won't use because it isn't 100% reliable in my barrel includes Eley Target, Norma TAC-22 and CCI anything.  So far I've found Geco and Fiocchi standard velocity to run flawlessly.

11 minutes ago, zzt said:

I've found they sometime fail to fire or eject in my Benz chambered barrel.  Wiland told me he has no problems with them unless he doesn't clean the barrel after 250-300 rounds.  I had my failures a lot sooner than that.  So ammo I won't use because it isn't 100% reliable in my barrel includes Eley Target, Norma TAC-22 and CCI anything.  So far I've found Geco and Fiocchi standard velocity to run flawlessly.

Have you considered sending them your barrel to have them rechamber it with the sportsman chamber?  I bet that would help your issue. 

14 hours ago, nso123 said:

Have you considered sending them your barrel to have them rechamber it with the sportsman chamber?  I bet that would help your issue. 

No.  We talked about it and I told them I had to be able to hit a dime sized steel target at 50 yards.  They said Benz.  The barrel is super accurate, so I don't want to mess with it.  I don't mind experimenting with ammo.  If I can't find one that shoots 100% long term, I'll open up the chamber and only use the barrel for SCSA.  I can always buy a good 16" barrel for bench rest shooting.

• 5 months later...

Have any of you guys had problems with keyholing using the Wiland LLW barrel?  I got mine the other day and it functioned perfectly with CCI AR Tactical 40gr CPRN 1200 FPS, but consistently keyholed when I switched to CCI Blazer LRN 1235 FPS.  Kind of sucks since I have 6k rds of Blazer that I reserved for my RFRO practice ammo.

59 minutes ago, apoc4lypse said:

Have any of you guys had problems with keyholing using the Wiland LLW barrel?  I got mine the other day and it functioned perfectly with CCI AR Tactical 40gr CPRN 1200 FPS, but consistently keyholed when I switched to CCI Blazer LRN 1235 FPS.  Kind of sucks since I have 6k rds of Blazer that I reserved for my RFRO practice ammo.

I have shot a little bit of Blazer in mine with no issues. Were you by chance using hollow points?