Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightest 10/22 Barrel

l98ster

Have any of you guys had problems with keyholing using the Wiland LLW barrel?  I got mine the other day and it functioned perfectly with CCI AR Tactical 40gr CPRN 1200 FPS, but consistently keyholed when I switched to CCI Blazer LRN 1235 FPS.  Kind of sucks since I have 6k rds of Blazer that I reserved for my RFRO practice ammo.

No issues with blazer ,, I have found mine love standard velocity ammo ,, best for accuracy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, apoc4lypse said:

Have any of you guys had problems with keyholing using the Wiland LLW barrel?  I got mine the other day and it functioned perfectly with CCI AR Tactical 40gr CPRN 1200 FPS, but consistently keyholed when I switched to CCI Blazer LRN 1235 FPS.  Kind of sucks since I have 6k rds of Blazer that I reserved for my RFRO practice ammo.

I haven't shot Blazer through mine, but I have shot CCI Standard and AR Tactical, Normo Tac 22, Fiocchi and Geco.  All functioned perfectly.

They were the now discontinued Blazer Lead Round Nose 38gr.  Maybe the light weight and the high velocity is too fast to stabilize?  Though I don't have any keyholing issues with my Mark III, which has a shorter barrel.

On 8/29/2019 at 4:45 PM, l98ster said:

Hi everyone,

in in an effort to build the lightest 10/22 possible for steel challenge. I am looking for the lightest barrel possible. I would imagine it’s possible for a barrel to weigh less than 16oz.  Some say the magnum research ultralight weighs in at 13oz. Can anyone confirm?  The website does not list weight. Any opinions welcome. Thanks!!

George

Hi George

I have found that the best lightest barrels are from WhistlePig. I bought two and I LOVE them!  Good company with a high quality product. Good prices. They ship pretty fast too. I absolutely hate Tactical Solutions barrels because they cracked, prices are now outrageously high and one was so easily deformed that I couldn't get it out of the receiver when used normally. I won't buy another TacSol barrel. I personally think people buy those TacSol barrels just because they are like sheep. They mindlessly follow and copy what other people do. Good thing most people don't copy and find it popular to jump off the edge of the Grand Canyon without a parachute!

https://www.wpgbc.com/default.asp

Edited by Styro

I cleaned the barrel and found there was some kind of buildup 2/3rds down from the breech that I couldn't clean out.  I don't think it was lead buildup as I only shot 500rds through and that shouldn't have been enough to cause any visible residue.  Anyway I'll be sending the barrel back for a replacement.  Here's a photo.

bore.jpg

On 5/28/2020 at 4:01 PM, apoc4lypse said:

They were the now discontinued Blazer Lead Round Nose 38gr.  Maybe the light weight and the high velocity is too fast to stabilize?  Though I don't have any keyholing issues with my Mark III, which has a shorter barrel.

I have shot tons of the 40 gr Blazer that comes in the 50 round boxes. The 38 gr bulk pack Blazer is garbage, it's probably some reject Federal that they are branding Blazer. The last box of that garbage I took to the range had at least 10 primed cases in the box with no powder or lead. No quality control. I love the regular 40 grain Blazer but I'll never buy any of the bulk 38 grain again. My Wiland LLW barrel groups very nicely with the 40 grain Blazer. Todd at Wiland has excellent service, he will get you fixed up.

On 5/28/2020 at 4:02 PM, Styro said:

Hi George

I have found that the best lightest barrels are from WhistlePig. I bought two and I LOVE them!  Good company with a high quality product. Good prices. They ship pretty fast too. I absolutely hate Tactical Solutions barrels because they cracked, prices are now outrageously high and one was so easily deformed that I couldn't get it out of the receiver when used normally. I won't buy another TacSol barrel.

The specs on the WistlePig say about an ounce per inch so one of their barrels Is going to be at least 16 ounces. The Wiland barrel is 11 oz which is much lighter.

http://wilandusa.com/416-stainless-10-22-llw-barrel-w-comp-cut-22lr-sporter-chamber-6875-precision-slip-fit-tenon-diameter/

19 hours ago, Gregg K said:

The specs on the WistlePig say about an ounce per inch so one of their barrels Is going to be at least 16 ounces. The Wiland barrel is 11 oz which is much lighter.

http://wilandusa.com/416-stainless-10-22-llw-barrel-w-comp-cut-22lr-sporter-chamber-6875-precision-slip-fit-tenon-diameter/

I think that depends on whether it's fluted, solid bull or tapered. The two TacSol ones I bought were 1.1lbs each and the last WistlePig one I bought was less than 1 pound. But I'm actually buying a third WhistlePig one and I'll be turning it down on my lathe to a smaller diameter and shortening it to 16.085 inches so it'll weigh in around 13 to 14 ounces I think. 

Edited by Styro

If you're evaluating lightweight 10/22 barrels, you may want to take a look at the new Briley "Raptor" barrel: https://www.briley.com/p-63729-briley-raptor-165-ultra-lightweight-1022-rifle-barrel.aspx

Designed specifically for Steel Challenge shooting, it weighs just over 10 oz., has a hardened stainless steel breech face tendon & muzzle threads, and a proprietary chamber reamed both for accuracy AND reliability.

From the very beginning, I was involved in the concept, design, prototyping & testing- in both Briley & OEM Ruger receivers.

I, and everyone who owns this barrel, has experienced that it shoots tight and, if your rifle & magazines are clean & properly setup, feeds pretty much any ammo of reasonable quality.

Jim

Update:  Todd at Wiland sent me a new barrel and it works great!  I was ringing steel at 100 yards even with the Blazer, so there's no problems at all with accuracy.  One thing I didn't realize is that he recommends cleaning the barrel after 250 rounds; I didn't do that with my first one.  Not sure if 500 rounds is enough to cause issues but I'll be more stringent with cleaning from now on.

If you have a Benz chamber you definitely need to clean it after every shoot.  250 roundws is a good number.  I do know that at an 8 stage SCSA shoot, I'll have to run a bore snake through after 5 or 6 stages to make sure I don't have any failures.  I also use the old bullseye shooters trick of putting a line of oil on the top round in each mag.  That keeps the chamber lubed and I have no problems.  Mine is accurate enough that I can knock over rimfire silhouette targets at 50 yards, including the chickens.

• 1 month later...

For those of you with Wiland LLW barrels. How do you remove the lead buildup inside the shroud just in front of the crown/muzzle face? 

Wire brushes don't seem strong enough so I ended up plugging the bore and filling the shroud with peracetic acid (what I use to clean my muzzle brake).  It worked okay but there's still some stubborn lead buildup right in front of the crown.  Any ideas?

I have a 3' piece of solid aluminum rod that is a little smaller than the ID of the sleeve. I got the rod off of Ebay for another project making moon clip carriers. With the action out of the stock I put the back of the receiver on a pad on the floor with the barrel strait up. I work the rod up and down the sleeve trying to hold it to the sides and scrape off any accumulation. You have to tip the muzzle down every once in a while to dump out the scrapping. I've gotten pretty good at it and being able to feel where to scrape. A 12 ga brush on a rod with a drill and some Hoppe's cleaner if you want it looking like new after scrapping but it just isn't necessary, once you scrape out the big chunks go shoot it again.

Edited by Gregg K

4 hours ago, apoc4lypse said:

For those of you with Wiland LLW barrels. How do you remove the lead buildup inside the shroud just in front of the crown/muzzle face? 

Wire brushes don't seem strong enough so I ended up plugging the bore and filling the shroud with peracetic acid (what I use to clean my muzzle brake).  It worked okay but there's still some stubborn lead buildup right in front of the crown.  Any ideas?

I shoot mine ALOT with CCI SV lately instead of coated.   Wiland said not to worry about lead buildup.  I definitely see carbon.   How did you verify or confirm you have lead buildup ?

11 hours ago, jrdoran said:

I don't have a Taccom shrouded barrel yet but what is the diameter difference ?  Taccom sells a cleaning tool that could be modified perhaps ? 

https://taccom3g.com/product/ulw-barrel-cleaning-tool/

Taccom shrouds are larger in diameter.  Tim originally recommended using a section of 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC pipe to clean his shrouds.  The OD of the pipe is .840".  Wiland specifically made their shrouds so 12 gauge shotgun cleaning tools could be used.  ID of a 12 ga shotgun barrel is .729". 

FWIW, I've fired several thousand wax lubed bare lead 22 LRs in my Wiland barrel and I have zero buildup.  I've fired a fair number of various poly coated through my 9mm Wiland barrel and have no deposits either.

11 hours ago, zzt said:

Taccom shrouds are larger in diameter.  Tim originally recommended using a section of 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC pipe to clean his shrouds.  The OD of the pipe is .840".  Wiland specifically made their shrouds so 12 gauge shotgun cleaning tools could be used.  ID of a 12 ga shotgun barrel is .729". 

FWIW, I've fired several thousand wax lubed bare lead 22 LRs in my Wiland barrel and I have zero buildup.  I've fired a fair number of various poly coated through my 9mm Wiland barrel and have no deposits either.

Great info on both accounts Steve !

On 7/31/2020 at 10:32 AM, zzt said:

same here, both barrels. Very good product

For those of you who have never cleaned/scraped the inside of your barrel, try weighing if you remove it from your receiver.  Per Wiland, a brand new barrel will weigh 10.5 oz; anything over that is lead/carbon buildup in your shroud.

I ended up buying an 11/16 forstner bit (kind of a nuclear option, I know) and I'll let you know my results.  I am presently 3d printing a coupler to hook it up to a hex rod that I'll use as my reamer shaft, and turn it by hand.

I'd luv to see a good borescope video if someone has that equipment.  I'm still skeptical it is anything except carbon, but who knows;

To clarify we are talking about buildup in the shroud.

Edited by jrdoran

It's definitely not just carbon.  Carbon doesnt get shiny when you cut into the crud.

Edit: After cleaning, my barrel weighed in at 11.0 oz (I have the black barrel, not the stainless).  I removed around .3 oz of lead buildup and that was after dissolving much of it with peracetic acid.

gVH3lYo.jpg

jDkaJQ7.jpg

Edited by apoc4lypse