Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magwells- how much do they help?

BigJerm

I switched from Glock to M&P last year and while I like the new gun (shoot it better), one area that has lagged behind is reloads and especially reloads on the move. Always seemed easier/quicker with the Glock. Now I’m fumbling reloads more often, even though I do practice them quite often in dry fire. I’m wondering: how much does a magwell help? Right now I’m having a lot of fun shooting my Compact in CCP, the only CCP legal magwell I can find for M&P requires baseplates and would add up to about $150 upgrade for the pistol. So I’m just wondering if it’s worth it to spring for or if I should just suck it up and practice more, haha.

Thoughts?

Burkett reload drills. Some in “Tai Chi” mode(slow and observing) or in reverse sometimes helps as well. Of course weighted with dummy rounds to simulate range day. 

I would like like to see some measurements between the Glock and S&W well openings stock. 

Thinking it might be an angular issue as well, sometimes it takes a bit for me to go back and forth from my G34 to my 1911 (with a well) to feel as smooth  

Edited by Amerflyer48

1 hour ago, Amerflyer48 said:

Burkett reload drills. Some in “Tai Chi” mode(slow and observing) or in reverse sometimes helps as well. Of course weighted with dummy rounds to simulate range day. 

I would like like to see some measurements between the Glock and S&W well openings stock. 

Thinking it might be an angular issue as well, sometimes it takes a bit for me to go back and forth from my G34 to my 1911 (with a well) to feel as smooth  

Haha, I like the Tai Chi mode idea. I do burkett reloads currently (around 30 a day). But one thing I noticed was that as soon as I'm moving I start to fumble them. So now I'm doing burkett reloads on the move to try and fix that. I don't own the Glock anymore so can't take measurements, but I could measure the M&P later when I get home.

Angular issue is a good point. I found with the Glock, as soon as I put the plastic grip plug in the back (Gen 4 G34), I was able to get those mags in quicker by aiming for the back of the magwell. On the M&P that technique doesn't seem to work as well and it gets hung up more often. Maybe I'll play with entry angles a bit over the next week and see if I can come up with a more reliable technique.

I'm probably overthinking this ... but thought maybe a "carry magwell" might remedy the problem somewhat.

On 8/7/2019 at 10:06 PM, tbarker13 said:

Only you can decide if the extra expense is worth it. But at least in my experience, magwells are a big help. It's just a bigger target to aim for when you are doing that reload.

Thanks for that feedback, this is the kind of thing I was wondering. Especially since my "recent" focus has been CCP with a 4" compact, I have to reload 2x per stage whereas the SSP/ESP shooters are reloading once per stage. Bad reloads hurt me more than they do them since I reload twice as often! They seem to be my lowest hanging fruit. I'm probably going to buy the upgrade with some extra cash I have from a couple things I'm going to sell.

Also, I've been working burkett reloads on the move the last few days, with no par time, just trying to get them perfect and speed them up in general. And they seem to be improving. I've noticed that my standing reload is relatively good, but as soon as I take some steps and reload, I fumble half of them. Practice, practice, I guess.

7 hours ago, BigJerm said:

Thanks for that feedback, this is the kind of thing I was wondering. Especially since my "recent" focus has been CCP with a 4" compact, I have to reload 2x per stage whereas the SSP/ESP shooters are reloading once per stage. Bad reloads hurt me more than they do them since I reload twice as often! They seem to be my lowest hanging fruit. I'm probably going to buy the upgrade with some extra cash I have from a couple things I'm going to sell.

Also, I've been working burkett reloads on the move the last few days, with no par time, just trying to get them perfect and speed them up in general. And they seem to be improving. I've noticed that my standing reload is relatively good, but as soon as I take some steps and reload, I fumble half of them. Practice, practice, I guess.

As you clearly know, the best thing you can do is practice those reloads. On some stages, it's going to be an easy way to shave a couple seconds off your time. But having the magwell is just going to make it even that much easier to accomplish your goal.

20 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I too have been shooting CCP lately and really like it. My gun will not fit the box with a magwell, and I don't feel out gunned if someone else has one.  But, if I could make one fit I probably would.

Nice! What gun are you using? Seems like a lot of the various guns have someone making a “carry” magwell for them, that also fits the box.

I like that CCP allows me to shoot my actual carry gun and remain “competitive”, and surprisingly doesn’t seem to hold me back as much as I thought it would. The only real difference is having to reload twice on 18rd stages. Seems like CCP has brought a division into IDPA that actually aligns with their stated purpose—to have people compete with their actual defensive pistols.

Edited by BigJerm

14 hours ago, tbarker13 said:

As you clearly know, the best thing you can do is practice those reloads. On some stages, it's going to be an easy way to shave a couple seconds off your time. But having the magwell is just going to make it even that much easier to accomplish your goal.

Thanks, I think you’re right. I’ll report back when I get the magwell and let you know how my experiment is going 👍

On 8/10/2019 at 11:49 AM, BigJerm said:

Nice! What gun are you using? Seems like a lot of the various guns have someone making a “carry” magwell for them, that also fits the box.

I like that CCP allows me to shoot my actual carry gun and remain “competitive”, and surprisingly doesn’t seem to hold me back as much as I thought it would. The only real difference is having to reload twice on 18rd stages. Seems like CCP has brought a division into IDPA that actually aligns with their stated purpose—to have people compete with their actual defensive pistols.

I really like the division, the 8 round mags make the stage planning a little more difficult, utilize tac-loads more than other divisions. I find the small mags to be a little harder for me to grab and nail a reload, and I think the longer shots are a little more challenging with the short sight radius. I did manag to pull off a 3rd OA at a lvl-2 over the weekend, behind a PCC and CO shooter. Surprised myself with that one. I had the raw time, but dropped a few more points then I would of liked.

My gun is a commander length 2011 frame and slide with the grip gun down to officer length and mags cut to fit the box. Not really much bigger then a G-19, fun gun to shoot. It's in 40, so I can shoot major out of it in USPSA Limited, just by swapping out for a full size grip and mag-well.

I always use magwells where I can. On my old IDPA gun and my USPSA limited guns the magwells also help on the draw. As there is no wrong place to grab the gun. My hand fits perfectly in between the magwell and the beavertail

I went from an STI Eagle in .45 (Limited 10) to a CZ SP-01 for Carry Optics. I can assure you there is a noticeable difference between loading mags with the magwell STI as compared to the CZ. Now the Gen5 is supposed to have a larger flared magwell, but I do not like Glocks (I know, heresy).

I will be shooting the next match with the Eagle for fun, and we will see if it is that much different.  I have had 2 years to adjust to the CZ.