Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Perishable skills

rock751

Me and my buddies used to shoot every chance we got, at least 4 times a month. I would mix a little dryfire in there as well. Unfortunately for the last two months I've been to busy with overtime and normal family stuff. I knew I was getting a little rusty but I discovered just how bad the other day when we requalified on pistol at work. I was HORRIBLE! Top score is 250 and the lowest I've ever got was 240, which was pretty easy to do. This time however I got a 222 out of 250 and feel like I got lucky at that. Nothing felt right. Worst of all was my grip. I wasn't so upset at the actual score as I was with how foreign my pistol felt in my hand. It made me think back on all of the times that I thought about dryfiring and didn't. A little bit of dry fire every once and a while could have made a huge difference. I felt like posting this because I'm disappointed in myself and maybe somebody will see this and dry fire a little.  

I am about to get back into it after about 3 years  …..   :(

I am going to SUCK big time.

But, I like your idea of starting with some dry firing, and going to go slowly at first.

Same with golf, BTW.   Took my grandson golfing few months ago, and couldn't hit a decent

ball at all - it's been few years since I've golfed - but, probably won't take too long to get

back into the "swing of things" (Pun intended)   :) 

Yesterday, I went to the range after a month without even dry firing. Shooting a revolver, too. I just shot at some poppers, and kept missing to begin with. 100 rounds showed some improvement. Then I was too hot to continue and packed up.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found when I shoot a lot (3-4 matches a week) and then take a 2-4 week break, that after my first stage I generally come back a lil stronger. Like I relearn all the fundamentals 

Edited by RawTime
Notify of replies

Having a gun in hand - even if you are not shooting live ammo - is always a positive. Being off for  2 months seems like it should not affect you too much physically, but do not underestimate the mental aspect of shooting. Ifind that as long as I am handling a firearm and I feel mentally with it, then I shoot better. Since it seems that you are a laws enforcement officer, I would encourage you to keep up with all of the aspects of carrying a firearm for a living and shooting USPSA matches is just a portion of that.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have actually been thinking about this a lot lately.  I’ve gotten “busy” and run out of time at the end of the day to fit in dry fire.  I’ve been noticing minor things at matches like my dot moves a lot more and I just don’t feel as comfortable with my footwork, etc.  
to combat this...I’ve been trying to squeeze in a couple minutes a few nights a week to get my hands on my guns even if it is only a few sight pictures and trigger presses.