Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GSG 1911 22

AzShooter

While walking around at  our local LGS I came upon an interesting little gun, a GSG 1911 22.   It has the look and feel of a standard 1911 but in .22 and seems to be an excellent gun for practicing.  Weight feels the same and magazines also feel like the standard ones.  I think it would be an inexpensive way to practice for real shooting.  Especially draws and mag changes.  The recoil is still that of a .22 so firing isn't going to be realistic.

I didn't think I would buy it but after checking it out, and seeing the price, I just had to take it home.   

I did read a number of reviews on the web and it looks like it will be fun to play with.  It's 80% compatible with regular 1911 parts, except for the .22 features so new sights and a new Main Spring Housing look like a must.  The housing is to get rid of the Magazine Disconnector making it California legal.

13 hours ago, TeedOff said:

I’ve got three of them. I’ve put a ton of 22 thru them. You will want to check out CW accessories for replacement parts and upgrades.

My brother has two and I have a CWA top end on a 1911 frame. Lots o fun. One of my brother's has the alloy GSG frame, CWA top end, a comp, and a bunch of other stuff. His is better balanced than mine which has the steel frame and no comp. I might end up getting the GSG and swapping my top end unto it. My brother's other is a stock GSG which is a nice gun by itself. You can't go wrong with these GSG's and they are a bargain, too.

My club has 6 of early production GSG that we use for handgun classes and they are a blast to shoot

but do not dry fire them much, dry fire is part of the class and we break firing pins all the time, and of all the various brands and models of guns we’ve used, the GSGs are the only ones that break them

Just left the range and had a great time.  It really feels great in my hand.  I shot 300 rounds of CCI Patriot, the Red, White and Blue bullets.  100 % reliability.  I think this is going to be one of my favorites to take to the range.

The magazine disconnect parts can be removed without replacing the housing, FYI. I have one. It definitely needs to be clean to run well and it likes hotter ammo, but it works pretty good for the price. 

I've though about getting one for shooting RFPI. I already have a 22/45 RFPO gun so not switching that anytime soon. But all my comp guns are 1911/2011.

Does it use the same sear spring/FCG and mainspring housing? lol I wonder what lb main spring is in them. I'm guessing most of the differences are just in the top end?

I've though about getting one for shooting RFPI. I already have a 22/45 RFPO gun so not switching that anytime soon. But all my comp guns are 1911/2011.

Does it use the same sear spring/FCG and mainspring housing? lol I wonder what lb main spring is in them. I'm guessing most of the differences are just in the top end?

The top end has the proprietary parts. I’ve got one top end set up on a Sig stainless elite (minus series 80 parts) lower and it works fine. The GSG is a series 80 so if you want to use a series 70 lower you have to take out the firing pin block parts in the slide.

I’ve also got one set up to mimic my 9 major open guns. It has a comp, slide racker and 90* mounted Cmore...it is lighter than my centerfire open guns but works well enough for training and RFPO steel challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got to shoot mine today for the first time.  300 rounds of CCI Patriot loads, the Red, White and Blue ones.  100% reliability.  It was so much fun to shoot I wish I had brought more ammo with me.  I  think I'm going to start shooting RFPI with it.  I was just like shooting my old .445 only no recoil.   I need to learn to get my hand on the grip safety better, I had a few instances where it wasn't depressed far enough and the trigger would not go off.  Good test to see that the safety works.

I did get rid of the magazine disconnect.  Easy as pie.   

I've been shooting dots since forever.  It was really nice shooting iron sights and actually hitting what I was aiming at.  My focus was on the front sight and I had no problems loosing it.

14 hours ago, AzShooter said:

I got to shoot mine today for the first time.  300 rounds of CCI Patriot loads, the Red, White and Blue ones.  100% reliability.  It was so much fun to shoot I wish I had brought more ammo with me.  I  think I'm going to start shooting RFPI with it.  I was just like shooting my old .445 only no recoil.   I need to learn to get my hand on the grip safety better, I had a few instances where it wasn't depressed far enough and the trigger would not go off.  Good test to see that the safety works.

I did get rid of the magazine disconnect.  Easy as pie.   

I've been shooting dots since forever.  It was really nice shooting iron sights and actually hitting what I was aiming at.  My focus was on the front sight and I had no problems loosing it.

There are followers available to convert the mags to 14 rounds. I can't remember where I got them now.

Sorry...

After a few upgrades I took the GSG 1911 22 back out Friday for more testing. I had added the Tandemkross accurizing kit which includes a Stainless Steel 1 Piece Guide Rod ,Guide Rod Plug, Guide Rod Spring, Tapered Alignment Cap, Polished Match-Grade Barrel Bushing and Shock Buffer. This really tightened things up and gave me better groups.

I used Blazers for this break in period because I had them and they have the same velocity as Mini Mags. They also shoot better in my guns than most .22 ammo. I guess thing became a little too tight because for the first 200 rounds I experienced a number of jams. Most were just that the hammer was not resetting, but it started working much better after those 200.

Groups were excellent but I was shooting very high. I'm not a fan of non adjustable sights. I ordered a new Bomar look- a- like front and rear sight that should be in soon. I also ordered 5 new magazines, some +4 followers and base pads. I like tricking out my guns.

When I tried to take it apart to clean it I had a devil of a time getting the slide to come off. After some mild coaxing with my plastic hammer it finally slid off to show a number of metal slivers on the rails. Glad I had lots of lubricants on the rails while shooting. I used a patch and got off more metal than I would have liked but I could see where it was binding and I think that after a few hundred more rounds it will be broken in.

This is going to be one of my favorite guns. I did so well with it that I'm not going to bother putting optics on it and I've been shooting optics for the last 30 years. It is so much fun to shoot with the irons and I really felt that my concentration was on the front sight better than it's ever been.

For under $ 300.00 it's a great alternative to the more expensive 1911 clones out there.

Pictures to follow.

I'd stay away from the plus base pads and followers.  Too many failures to feed, especially with the +4 follower.  Some GSG-1911 22 mags will hold 11 rounds.  The eleventh round does not feed correctly for me, so I am sure to count only 10 rounds when I load.  Otherwise, they are bullet proof.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as things would happen I broke my toy.  You can't dry fire this gun like I do  with my Rugers.   I broke the firing pin.  It took a few days to get the replacement from CWAccessories but I managed to install it with little effort.  I also took out the Tandemkross Accurizing kit.  It was so tight I couldn't even get off the barrel bushing without a wrench and lots of effort.  Again CWA came through with the enhancement kit.   

I shot some more Blazer, some Aguila 40 grains at 1450 fps ( I forget the name of them ) and even managed to shoot 100 CCI-SV with no trouble.  

Next is a new sight from CWA.  I like adjustables and not having to side them from side to side and replacing the front sight for elevation.

On 7/31/2019 at 11:58 AM, zzt said:

I'd stay away from the plus base pads and followers.  Too many failures to feed, especially with the +4 follower.  Some GSG-1911 22 mags will hold 11 rounds.  The eleventh round does not feed correctly for me, so I am sure to count only 10 rounds when I load.  Otherwise, they are bullet proof.

I won the Texas State Steel Challenge with Shockbottle prototype +2 pads on my GSG mags, that have been running great for years, so YMMV.... :)