Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ft Benning 3-gun Match Info

Ok, the bad news first, there are NO SLOTS available! There will be no more slots, if you are not on the wait list, I can not get you on the list. I hope to increase the capacity next year but in an effort to make this match run as smooth as possible, I MUST keep it small. SO thank you all for your support, but I can do no more.

As for the stages, after speaking to a number of MD and organizers of 3-Gun matches I have decided to NOT list the stage descriptions online. You will receive a match booklet with the stage designs on Friday at early registration at the Holiday Inn. Or you may come to the range ANYTIME Friday 2 Dec 2005, and view the stages. I believe this will make for the most rewarding experience possible.

The round count will be 116 pistol, 152 rifle, 70 birdshot, and 26 slug. Please realize there will be some difficult shots and you may miss...a lot, so bring extra. If you need to ship ammo, send me an email for an address, I will have it at the match hotel Friday night.

I will send out the paperwork for entry to Ft. Benning with weapons to all confirmed competitors this week, as well as posting it to this topic, for those who did not leave an e-mail on the application.

The rules will be based on USPSA, power factor will be what ever your pistol crono's, unless you shoot a pistol caliber rifle, taht will be minor. All center-fire rifle caliber rifles and shotguns will be scored minor or major based ONLY on your pistol PF. Scoring will be high 2 on paper for pistol and rifle, slugs will be high hit on paper. UNLESS specified in the stage brief :blink: I feel this gives the best balance of speed and accuracy, I hope it doesn't turn anyone off. Long-range steel targets, bonus targets, and disappearing targets will be scored based on the stage brief, nothing complicated just a way to insure all targets are worth engaging.

We will be death on safety... I will say no more.

The RO's are top notch; you will have shot with most of them before. I guarantee you will have a good time or you can recover 100% of your own brass! :D

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious, who's scoring this match and what are they scoring it with?

"We will be death on safety"? Um.... okay, you could also just say "match will be run to USPSA standards of safety", which is the highest standard around.

We will score it with an automated system, and a paper back-up. Should the automated version work correctly (it has in testing :huh: ) Then the scores will be completed within minutes of finishing, if not we have planned for a manual over ride. Theoretically we could use EzWin scores as there is no PF difference on the multi-gun stages.

You have not seen the US Army manual of range safety, makes "War and Peace" look like light reading!

Seems like Mr. Noyes has a supperiority attack. I might remind him that USPSA's scoring of the last 3-gun Nationals was at best a debacle, as were the rules. This years Natonals have yet to happen so perhapse it's just a bit too premature to sound so smug. Every time I see a post like this, I can't help but feel that this is the reason that IM3G matches fill up so fast. I trust Sgt. Hampton and crew have a well thought out scoring program, that unlike som entities, is new and inovative, and directly address the scoring problems unique to 3-gun/multi-gun matches. BTW I will be going to Ft. Benning, NOT the Nationals.....see how that works! KURT MILLER

I wish I were going to the Ft. Benning match as it looks to be the 3 gun match of the year :-) But other travel plans won't let me dammit! :-(

My feelings are that if Sgt. Hampton says this match is squared away, then this match IS Squared A Way ;-)

BTW Kurt, with Mr. Gary handling the stats at the US3G using the San Angelo method this year, it might just work out a little better ;-) I am packing up right now to head up to Bend for the Area 1 3 Gun this weekend and Bruce is going to use the San Angelo System to score the match with power factor. I will report back next week on how it went.

Damn, I wish I were going to the Ft. Benning match. I hope you guys make this an annual thing.

--

Regards,

Seems like Mr. Noyes has a supperiority attack.

Not at all. (My, but you read a lot into 6 piddly words.) You imagine offense where none is given.

I might remind him that USPSA's scoring of the last 3-gun Nationals was at best a debacle, as were the rules.

Yes, they were. (The scoring, not the rules.) And one person from Sedro Woolley and I are both planning to call in dead that week this year.

This years Natonals have yet to happen so perhapse it's just a bit too premature to sound so smug.

To set the record straight, I didn't say anything about this year's nationals, last year's nationals, or IM3G. I merely wished a match director good luck with a match and system that he apparently has built himself from nothing, which is a bold move indeed.

Every time I see a post like this, I can't help but feel that this is the reason that IM3G  matches fill up so fast.

3-gun tournaments (with no multi-gun stages) are not a problem; you can score one of those right now quite nicely. (2003 3-Gun Nationals, for instance.) Multigun with disparate powerfactors between rifle and pistol is a whole different issue, as we all know. It'll be better I'm sure once we get full software support for this San Angelo stuff. In the meantime, we just have to jump through a lot of extra hoops to fit it to the existing system.

I trust Sgt. Hampton and crew have a well thought out scoring program, that unlike some entities, is new and inovative, and directly address the scoring problems unique to 3-gun/multi-gun matches.

I'm sure they'll do fine. Post match note: They indeed did do very well. They also used the standard uspsa scoring program.

BTW I will be going to Ft. Benning, NOT the Nationals.....see how that works!

That works fine. (The Nationals is very close to being sold out, by the way! :P ) Good luck at the match.

Edited by wgnoyes

BTW Kurt, with Mr. Gary handling the stats at the US3G using the San Angelo method this year, it might just work out a little better ;-) I am packing up right now to head up to Bend for the Area 1 3 Gun this weekend and Bruce is going to use the San Angelo System to score the match with power factor. I will report back next week on how it went.

Yeah, that's going to be interesting and will be a good dress rehearsal for him before the nationals, absolutely.

Edited by wgnoyes

I can't wait to get there.

I truly hope a little initiative will prove to be what puts together a widley accepted scoring systems. Kudos for trying your own. I hope those of us who are opened minded can help.

Kurt, just like always and especially when there's trouble, I be behind you every step of the way.

Kurt,

You bringing the M1a ????

How about some of the world famous Brewski????

See you there!!!!!

HOP

BigHamp.....

Might be nice to tell every one the expected ranges for Rifle and shotgun slugs.

Some use different optics depending on expected ranges. (like me)

Looking forward to it.

Edited by hopalong

Sorry guys, I intended to post some distances. Longest rifle shots are 300 yards; largest target at that distance will be MGM flash. Several Larues at 150 yards they are partials (I parked a vehicle in front of them!) and a lot of tight shots at closer ranges. An optic will help but irons are still VERY competitive. You will NEED to know your hold-off. Farthest slug shot is 40 yards.... on a swinger! That is more than enough to get you tuned-up. Anything else will only make you feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.

And because I really want ALL of you to have a good time and look forward the match I will say a bit about scoring. I do not buy into the USPSA, or any outfit has the end all be all of ___________ (insert what ever; score system, rules, etc...). I believe the best score system lies in a compromise between rules and scoring, we are attempting to do just that. If you have shot ANY action match, have no fear, shoot fast, hit all the steel, score all A's on paper and you will be fine! If you have never shot an action match, you will not know the difference. Remember EVERYONE at the match will shoot under the same conditions!

Bring a good attitude, a huge appetite (we have some of the BEST outdoor cooking in the south serving food on the range all day!) and most of all a desire to win, and TRUST WE WILL SUPPLY A GREAT MATCH! See you in December!

Sgt Hampton

I just received some surplus 62 grain M855 green tip ammo that shoots well in my A3 carbine....I assume it will damage the steel flash targets... is it Ok to use it on the non steel targets? regards Les

No, please EVERYONE, lets leave the steel core/ penetrator ammo at home. Most stages will have a combination of paper and steel. Plus it is too eay to make a loading mistake. Thanks for asking!

Hamp

I haven't seen any info on hotels so I'll start it. I've lived here almost my whole life so I may be of some assistance here. I would stay at one of these. (Holiday Inn, Four Points Sheraton, Super 8 or Fairfirld Inn) These will keep you on the north side of town where there are better restaurants, shoping and next to I-185 witch runs into Ft. Benning. There are a lot of hotels here so finding a room should not be a problem. I would just make sure it's north of Macon road.

Ronnie