Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TSO, failure to extract?

igolfat8

I had three failures to extract empty cases last night from my 9mm TSO. The pistol is clean, lubed and the extractor is clean with no carbon build up on or around it. The case remained in the chamber and the slide returned to battery and or stripped another round and attempted to chamber it.  This is the first time this has happened. Pistol has been very reliable up to this point. I’ve never removed the extractor to date. The spring doesn’t appear weak or broken. The extractor’s hook face isn’t bent, chipped or broken. I’ve not recently swapped out any recoil spring and the load has remain unchanged. Any ideas where to begin trouble shooting?

I've had a pesky failure to eject in my TS for years. Might do it twice in 100 rounds then it'll go 3k rounds before it does it again. I never could find a culprit and it was rare enough I often forgot about it. At some point I started setting the problem cases aside. Just realized the other day that all dozen or so of them are FC headstamped. 

Pulled all the FC cased rounds from inventory and shot them and sure enough I had the problen more than ever before.

So its not the same malfunction you're having but might be something to look out for.

try to remove extractor and clean all dirt from  his shell  in the slide.

clean barrel in place it has contact with the frame  after recoil in lower lug

(ignore the crack)😀

ת×צ×ת ת××× × ×¢××ר âªcz ts  cracksâ¬â

lube lightly and try shoot after this.

do this every 2k and it will shoot like swiss watch made in swiss and not in china😉

Edited by yigal

5 hours ago, yigal said:

try to remove extractor and clean all dirt from  his shell  in the slide.

Although not as easy to remove the extractor (you need to punch out the pin) as on some guns, there tends to be quite a bit of gunk behind the extractor if you haven't cleaned this area before.

Thx for all the tips and suggestions guys.

My pin is staked on the bottom side (inside of slide). Do you drive it out from (outside) top down or bottom up? After reassembly is it necessary to stake the pin again on the inside? 

Edited by igolfat8

I do  not really clean my TSOs too often. I just wipe them out and reapply some oil. However, I do remove the extractor and clean it before every match and every day if it is a several day major match. It is super easy and takes 5 min for the while thing. If you have any issues with your TS - it is most likely  either extractor or your magazines (Watch and readjust the lips and replace the mag springs regularly)   

Edited by cheby

2 hours ago, igolfat8 said:

So, which way do you drive the pin out? From the top or bottom ... and ... do you re-stake the hole on the inside of the slide each time?

Top down. I've never staked mine and its never moved.

17 hours ago, Blockader said:

Mine was never staked. The tension of the spring pushing the extractor against the pin should be enough to keep it from moving it would seem to me. 

Mine 'walks' over time.  I believe when the slide is assembled there's only a certain distance the pin can come out.