Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition Magazines

Stafford

1 hour ago, tha1000 said:

Well it’s like $40 a mag cheaper once you factor in the cost of the tti pads and guts. 

Yeah. Well,.... When one craps out in a match.... That $40 isn't gonna comfort you very much. 

This sport is expensive. Skimping on magazines is stupid! 

Edited by B_RAD

4 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Yeah. Well,.... When one craps out in a match.... That $40 isn't gonna comfort you very much. 

This sport is expensive. Skimping on magazines is stupid! 

Sorry, but let’s be honest, these base pads are not fool proof either. I have seen competitors have their base pad enhanced magazines “crap out” on them in matches. Many have described the problems associated with overcoming the feeding issues created by the transition joint between the base and the magazine itself. It often takes them a series of trial and error experiences to get a magazine base pad combination reliable. 

1 hour ago, Paul49 said:

Sorry, but let’s be honest, these base pads are not fool proof either. I have seen competitors have their base pad enhanced magazines “crap out” on them in matches. Many have described the problems associated with overcoming the feeding issues created by the transition joint between the base and the magazine itself. It often takes them a series of trial and error experiences to get a magazine base pad combination reliable. 

Yeah that would suck!  I've never had an issue but that would piss me off!  

I watched a guy with an extended base pad at the match today drop his mag and the base pad and everything in the mag went flying. So no nothing is foolproof....it comes down to the amount risk you are willing to expose yourself to at a match.

My son and I do this for fun and don't worry who is faster or slower than we are....its about how well we can personally do. I'm willing to try the ETS.

As other have pointed out, the truth is you only really need one 23 + 1 magazine, the one you start with. There are no USPSA approved stages that should require more than 32 hits, so if you're doing it right, the second magazine shouldn't even need the 17 rounds a standard Glock magazine holds. That said, who among us doesn't have a ton of magazines laying around for the guns we shoot? An extension or three isn't that much once you realize you just spent $500.00 or so to have your slide machined and buy an optic.

I've had Arredondo extensions on Glock mags, same mags, same extensions since 2011. I have no idea how many rounds have been run through them, but they've never failed. They look like hell from being dropped so many times, but still work. Also got a bunch of TTI extensions on some M&P mags, same result. 

I've seen a bunch of cats using Magpul or ETS mags and they seem to have no issues either. If I was doing it over, I'd like to say  I'd do two Glock mags with extensions and the rest for CO would be Magpul 21 round mags, but my OCD would probably make me configure four G17 mags with extensions because that's how many fit in a California Competition Works magazine carrier sleeve, it's more than I'd need in any match, and I"m weird that way.