Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition Magazines

Stafford

I had a preassembled Hyve +2 for a Glock 43, but after a few range sessions, it quit feeding the 8th round. The +2 utilized the factory mag and spring and eventually didn't have enough tension. If I only loaded with 7, it would still work. Does anyone have any experience with these +5 Hyve's?

I did see a Magpul 21 round mag that fits the 140mm limit.

And ETS has 22 round mags for the 17 and 19 round mags for the G22.

Are either the Magpul or ETS competition mags good options?

I haven't heard a lot of good about the the ETS, I think they flex too much and it causes issues. Everyone I know who uses Magpul has no issues. Personally I don't see a big advantage of 23 vs 21 round mags so I would opt for the Magpul and save some money. At $17 you can basically throw the magpul away if you wear out the spring. If you're going .40, I think getting 20 rounds is a little more important. I would at least spend the money to have one 20 rounder but you wouldn't need all of them to have extensions. 

I use ets, pmag, and a TTI extension for CO. The 23+1 is really nice for 24 round paper stages or 20-22 round stages with some steel. 

I wouldnt really recommend the ETS. 

Edited by HCH

I have the ETS, Hyve, TTI, Zev on Magpul mags and some knockoff TTI style base pads from one of those cheap China apps like Wish. The ETS is nice because there is never a contact issue with the Zev magwell and the set pin like with the TTI or knockoffs. The +5 Hyve extensions come with a new spring, so you shouldn’t have feed issues from a weak spring like OP mentioned earlier. The Zev extensions are cool looking and functional, but they cost an arm/leg and they are only compatible with the Magpul mags. They also sell some for Glock OEM mags, but I can’t bring myself to shell out that much cash for looks. The cheap Chinese ones are the same as TTI, but you will want to get new springs. The ones that come with the knockoffs are garbage. 

If you’re looking for the best value/$, I would recommend the ETS. They haven’t failed me in the last 5 majors and numerous local matches over the last 3 years. If you want fancy, colored aluminum on a bit higher of a budget, then I would recommend Hyve. If you’ve got $ to burn, pick up some TTI or Zev setups. 

Every time we buy a Chinese knockoff of an American product we vote for the offshore competition and against the local manufacturer. In the long run the aggregate effect of all those individual choices to save $5, $10, $15 etc., leads to the competitive failure or closure of the local business. Please think twice and consider the implications. Swingline long since moved their staple gun factory from Massachusetts to Mexico because we chose the cheaper staplers to hang our targets. This eventually costs our fellow Americans their jobs.

12 minutes ago, Stafford said:

I guess if I was looking to buy a Chinese knockoff magazine for my Smith & Wesson, but we're talking about Glocks. So, if I buy an American made Magpul to go in my Austrian Glock, what's the problem?

Alvey728 was talking Chinese knockoff basepads versus TTI if I understood him correctly. 

10 minutes ago, Paul49 said:

Alvey728 was talking Chinese knockoff basepads versus TTI if I understood him correctly. 

OK, that makes sense.

Seems like Magpuls are good to go, but the ETS??? Some like them and some don't. 

52 minutes ago, Paul49 said:

Every time we buy a Chinese knockoff of an American product we vote for the offshore competition and against the local manufacturer. In the long run the aggregate effect of all those individual choices to save $5, $10, $15 etc., leads to the competitive failure or closure of the local business. Please think twice and consider the implications. Swingline long since moved their staple gun factory from Massachusetts to Mexico because we chose the cheaper staplers to hang our targets. This eventually costs our fellow Americans their jobs.

As the son of a proud Union Electrician, i absolutely agree with you. That being said, I was simply presenting the options to Stafford that i have personally tried and their relative pros and cons. If you look, I said they require new (American) springs due to the shotty foreign craftsmanship. Additionally, my ultimate suggestions were ETS, Hyve and TTI... not the knockoffs. ;) 

Ets mags seem to be fairly brittle as well.  I have chipped feed lips in dry fire.  The magpul mags ran great for me on my last CO go round... but as others mention, you are giving up capacity to the TTI or TF base pads.

28 minutes ago, Alvey728 said:

As the son of a proud Union Electrician, i absolutely agree with you. That being said, I was simply presenting the options to Stafford that i have personally tried and their relative pros and cons. If you look, I said they require new (American) springs due to the shotty foreign craftsmanship. Additionally, my ultimate suggestions were ETS, Hyve and TTI... not the knockoffs. ;) 

My comments were made only with the intent for all readers to realize their bargain hunting has secondary consequences that we don’t always consider when saving a nickel.

People complain about the loss of manufacturing jobs in the USA when in fact ALL of us at one time or another made choices that contributed to that loss. 

Maybe we need a return to the era when “Made in the USA” or buy the “Union Label” were considered laudable campaigns?

I guess if I was looking to buy a Chinese knockoff magazine for my Smith & Wesson, but we're talking about Glocks. So, if I buy an American made Magpul to go in my Austrian Glock, what's the problem?

One problem is you are giving up 2 rounds and well over an ounce on the gun.

There is a reason why most top shooters run base pads. I prefer TTI but others work just as well.

10 hours ago, OdinIII said:

One problem is you are giving up 2 rounds and well over an ounce on the gun.

There is a reason why most top shooters run base pads. I prefer TTI but others work just as well.

Just ordered a Magpul 21 rounder last night. While I agree that I'm giving up 2 rounds,  it's better than the 15 rounders that I ran in my G22 in my first match. And will still give me 4 more over the 17 round G17 mags I plan to run in my next match. I'm far from a top shooter so it's no big deal. And if I'm running Limited Minor, I'm already giving up scoring. By the time the guns and gear start to make a difference, I'll get some base pads.

1 hour ago, Stafford said:

Just ordered a Magpul 21 rounder last night. While I agree that I'm giving up 2 rounds,  it's better than the 15 rounders that I ran in my G22 in my first match. And will still give me 4 more over the 17 round G17 mags I plan to run in my next match. I'm far from a top shooter so it's no big deal. And if I'm running Limited Minor, I'm already giving up scoring. By the time the guns and gear start to make a difference, I'll get some base pads.

I've beat the crap out of my magpul glock mags on run and guns.  I think you'll be fine

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ve found the base pads with longer springs on oem glock tubes and followers to be the most reliable combo.  It’s more expensive, and I am only getting 22 rounds, but the TTI, Dawson and Zev have all been very reliable with longer springs.  I have used  Magpul and had some issues with them falling free and found their composite not as smooth loading as OEM.  I saw so many issues with guys using ETS mags in matches that I never tried them.  

If basepads are absolutely not an option I would go with the extended (+2) OEM Glock mags.  https://www.brownells.com/magazines/handgun-magazines/magazines/gen-5-magazine-for-glock-g17-19x-prod116292.aspx

They are $27 on Brownells and you will have a reliable 19 round mag.

The TTI’s are great but pricey. TTI usually has a July 4th, and a couple of other sales during the year. That’s when I buy mine. I have 7 plus 3,4, and 3 plus 5,6, in 9mm. I buy Wolff 33 round Glock springs and cut to size. One trick I learned from Bob Vogel is with the TTI plus 3,4 I cut the springs to 13 coils for production. They stick out the bottom of the mag like 5 inches, you’ll never buy springs again, and they run perfect. I even tried loading to capacity which gives me 20 rounds and still works. Most gun problems are mag or bullet related, don’t scrimp on those components. I do have 7 ETS mags but use them for practice, they are cheap and work great I just won’t chance them at a match.

What makes the ETS mag problematic? I have no trouble buying my son OEM mags and good bases and springs, but I am curious what the deal is with ETS. I have time as he shoots production right now and was curious about limited with his Glock.

On 8/14/2019 at 6:24 PM, Stafford said:

The Magpul 21 round mag I recently purchased ran great in my  17 Glock. Ran at the range and in a match and no issues. The ETS 19 round mags had jams in my  22 Glock at the range. Will not run either of the ETS 19 rounders in a match.

Magpul 21 rounds magazines also ran great in my Gen 3 G17 in several night matches, fitted out with ALG six second mount, Deltapoint Pro and Streamlight TLR-1.