Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Pro -metal frame.

sfotex

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoot plates at a club near my house and there's a lot of fellow Shooters there that use the Witness match as a starter gun. It's a very good shooter and the price is certainly easy to take when you're just getting started. In stock form it has a good trigger, but the gun cleans up rather nicely and its very easy to smooth the action out.

Sent from my SM-J260T1 using Tapatalk

Anyone know about the Witness Match Pro all metal pistol (not the poly model.) I was looking at the witness 10mm and the all metal pro version popped up. 
Allow me to clarify my post. I was referencing the Witness match original version which has the stainless frame and the black upper in all its calipers. Great starter gun I believe it's still in the mid 600 price wise new. I'm sure the newer match or should I say I hope it's just as good

Sent from my SM-J260T1 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, sfotex said:

Anyone know about the Witness Match Pro all metal pistol (not the poly model.) I was looking at the witness 10mm and the all metal pro version popped up. 

Got a link? The only "Match Pro" on EAA's site right now is a polymer frame. Are you referring to the Elite Match? That one is a steel frame. 

I just discovered the Witness Pro this weekend, never heard of it, cannot find it on EAA's website, Gallery of Guns, anywhere.  I thought it might be a discontinued or older model, yet they are sold as "Factory New."  Very interesting.  Is it brand new, or discontinued?

I called EAA and spoke with their sales department.  They said it is a limited run of normal Witness frames with the Stock II slide/barrel/RSA.  It's so small a run that they aren't bothering to list it on the website or catalog.  Although it has an adjustable rear sight, it does not appear to have the same rear sight as the Stock II.

I ordered one tonight, once I receive it I'll give a report.

I ordered and received the Witness Pro.  Although EAA said it's a Stock II upper, it's actually a Stock I upper.  Cone barrel with polygonal rifling, full-length guide rod, Stock I sight.  Build quality is excellent.  The internal trigger parts are covered in a slick polycoat that is not very slick.

The trigger isn't bad, but it isn't good either.  Gonna require some work.  So I've disassembled all the lower parts to polish them and to put in some lighter springs:  TRS, sear, hammer, and trigger plunger.  I'll give a range report this weekend.

the shiny on the rails is from me doing some initial lapping of the slide/frame fit with Flitz.

upper-1026401.jpg

Shot 100 rds through it, ran flawlessly with Hennings improved guide rod and a 20lbs. recoil spring.  Target below is 10 yards standing two-handed.  Center target and lower-right target were 180gr Underwood Ammo.  Upper and lower-left targets were 180gr Sellier & Bellot.  Recoil was on par with a 9mm Glock or a 1911 in 45, even with the hot Underwood (1250fps) ammo.  The recoil spring and the weight of the pistol help tame it dramatically.

431C7AC7-AC21-4922-91AF-DA2501F0A4AE-103

I bought the same gun yesterday and like it so far but my eyes are tired and old and I can't focus on the front sight. I want to get fiber optic sight but don't know what height or width I need. Also read about changing the recoil spring and guide rod to prevent cracking.

And lastly where can I find extra magazines seems like there are out of stock everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cool, doesn't look like it uses the competition frame due to the round trigger guard and roll pin for the hammer.  Low profile sights, picatinny railed short frame, bull barrel...  Looks like a good pistol!  Surprisingly you can purchase this pistol for less than EAA sells a slide assembly for...

Well I just drop mine off to get cerakote. The finish in this gun sucks, I carried the gun for three weeks straight and the finish wore off in the grip area just by rubbing with the shirt and the fact that keeps developing rust spots. Hope the cerakote solves the problems, I do like the gun and want to keep it. I also noticed today that the wood grip is cracking so that is something else to replace. 

Any idea what grips fits this gun?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the information on this firearm. I purchased a 10mm version as a woods gun for hiking and camping and had no idea what I had. Knowing that it's a Stock I slide, do you think it can handle Underwood 220 grain hard cast with a 20# recoil spring and a Henning cone fit guide rod?

Not looking to shoot a steady diet, just sight it in, put a few hundred rounds of range ammo through it and a box or two of the Underwoods to see if it feeds reliably.

New to 10mm, I know commercial ammo is mostly downloaded.

Thank you and sorry for the threadjack!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thanks for this comment and your previous recommendation on the Hennings guide rod and spring. I'll report back when I return from the range.

The slide has some punch mark on the rear right side. It's been discussed before in this and other forums. Looks like a rust spot but in fact is the obliteration of another punch mark. Until now it's a mystery.

[mention=72923]Katanapr3[/mention] , would you please show us how it looks after cerakote? Inquiring minds want to know. default_smile.png

Thanks everyone!

PS. Here's the punch mark.

h41AYhz.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk