Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Mag Release?

rtr

I'm building a limited STI gun, my open STI has the standard mag release, I have to move my grip too much to release the mag, so on my new gun I'd like a different mag release, any recommendations? And do I need just a new button to replace or go over the current one, or does the whole mechanism have to be replaced? Thanks.

RTR,

If your mag release is not drilled and tapped you would have to get one so you can add a button. I've had the best success with the Brazos Cyclone mag release button and magwell combination because when starting position is gun on table, the mag relase doesn't touch the table surface, thus reducing the possibility of an accidental mag drop.

My $0.02

Have you taken a look at the button Jimmie Mitchell makes that moves the button to the right side of the gun. You use your index finger for the release which allows those with small hands to maintain their grip. I don't have his card handy but I am sure someone on BE can point you in the right direction.

Craig

+1 for the Mitchel right side mag release.

My hands are not small, but my thumbs are a little on the short side. There was no way for me to drop the mag on my Para without changing my grip until the right side mag release.

A little dry fire to make sure your brain circuits are wired to drop the mag with your trigger finger and its outstanding.

Here's the link:

Jimmy Mitchel at Bulletworks

I tried the Mitchell release at Area 3 as I shoot a Para. I still had to change my grip to press the button with my trigger finger. It was more awkward too but then I am used to using my thumb so familiarity isn't the same.

I use the extended Ed Brown (not oversize) release and can reach the button with my short thumb with little to no grip change. I find that when I bring my support hand back to the gun, my grip realigns anyway. The EB is fine for table starts too.

Like Mitchell's website says, it isn't for everyone.

I have a Mitchell on one of my guns and it works pretty well. I don't have to change my grip to release a mag but it sucks when I forget that its there. I have it mounted on the wifes gun and she loves it because she has very small hands and it keeps her from having to turn the gun to release the mag.

I have a Mitchell on one of my guns and it works pretty well. I don't have to change my grip to release a mag but it sucks when I forget that its there. I have it mounted on the wifes gun and she loves it because she has very small hands and it keeps her from having to turn the gun to release the mag.

Mitchell all the way!! They are a bit expensive but well worth the money, especially when you drop a mag right after you draw the gun out of the holster. :wacko: