Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area 1 on Revo - the few, the proud

Mcfoto

I shot the Area 1 championship over the weekend. This was my first major on revolver and my first Level 3. Here are my "morning after" thoughts:

The good: I finished! Plenty didn't. My squad started with 9 and ended with 6. Two DQ's and an injury. Another win - no zero HFs! Considering the difficulty of some of the stages, this was a victory for me. Also, I made Chrono! I had been struggling with my cheapo chrono to get there and even hedged my bets using Magnum primers. Clocked at 131 which seems a reasonable cushion. 

The bad: Brain farts on the first stage of the match and the last. Unfortunately, the first was the classifier. Thought the third string was freestyle reload, weak hand. It was weak hand only. Fortunately, it was fixed time and I only got three shots off so only 3 procedurals. Again, at least not a zero. The last stage brain fart was a failure to shoot at after forgetting what I'd shot after a mandatory reload. This one I chalk up to fatigue.

Other thoughts: At this level, USPSA is a high-cap game. On my squad was a very skilled Production shooter and she was complaining about all the reloads. I would have killed to have her two make up rounds. Since we only had 5 revolver competitors in an place with a decent amount of wheel gunners, I'm thinking others already know this. On the other hand, I'm always amazed that I am able to break down stages into 8's. The issue is unplanned make ups or misses on steel. Then it becomes hair on fire.

But I was glad to gut it out. I brought my Limited blaster in case of last minute chickening out, but I stuck to my gun (pun intended.) The next major for me is the Oregon State Championship. I'll have to do some more processing on if I'm stick to my "year of the revolver" or scurry back to Limited.

I shot the Area 1 championship over the weekend. This was my first major on revolver and my first Level 3. Here are my "morning after" thoughts:

The good: I finished! Plenty didn't. My squad started with 9 and ended with 6. Two DQ's and an injury. Another win - no zero HFs! Considering the difficulty of some of the stages, this was a victory for me. Also, I made Chrono! I had been struggling with my cheapo chrono to get there and even hedged my bets using Magnum primers. Clocked at 131 which seems a reasonable cushion. 

The bad: Brain farts on the first stage of the match and the last. Unfortunately, the first was the classifier. Thought the third string was freestyle reload, weak hand. It was weak hand only. Fortunately, it was fixed time and I only got three shots off so only 3 procedurals. Again, at least not a zero. The last stage brain fart was a failure to shoot at after forgetting what I'd shot after a mandatory reload. This one I chalk up to fatigue.

Other thoughts: At this level, USPSA is a high-cap game. On my squad was a very skilled Production shooter and she was complaining about all the reloads. I would have killed to have her two make up rounds. Since we only had 5 revolver competitors in an place with a decent amount of wheel gunners, I'm thinking others already know this. On the other hand, I'm always amazed that I am able to break down stages into 8's. The issue is unplanned make ups or misses on steel. Then it becomes hair on fire.

But I was glad to gut it out. I brought my Limited blaster in case of last minute chickening out, but I stuck to my gun (pun intended.) The next major for me is the Oregon State Championship. I'll have to do some more processing on if I'm stick to my "year of the revolver" or scurry back to Limited.
Congrats. I shot area 3 last year as the only wheelgunner. Some of the stages were rough with no makeup shots, but that's not unusual at any match level.

5 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

OP, I'm still learning. What were the DQs for?

The end of the first day, one of our shooters walked into the safety area to degun and still had a loaded mag in his hand. The second day, another broke the 180 when moving left and pulled his gun to his face to check the mag seating. Both took it well and stayed to help reset.

I commend you for taking your wheelgun to the area match.  That's definitely rough - some of the higher round count stages must've been brutal.

While I'm not brave enough to shoot a level III with a revo, I will be doing my first LII this year in both open AND revo.  Because...why not?

18 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

On my squad was a very skilled Production shooter and she was complaining about all the reloads.

2 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

That's definitely rough - some of the higher round count stages must've been brutal.

I shoot production regularly and dabble with revolver. Don't understand the complaining or the "brutal" part. Either you think reloading is fun or you choose to shoot a high capacity division. Maybe the comments are sort of tongue in cheek?

Did recently shoot a match with 3 40+ round stages. Didn't mind the reloading but in general I think 1 big stage at a match can be interesting but beyond that I prefer 30 ish. 

I commend you for taking your wheelgun to the area match.  That's definitely rough - some of the higher round count stages must've been brutal.

While I'm not brave enough to shoot a level III with a revo, I will be doing my first LII this year in both open AND revo.  Because...why not?
Huh? You just keep reloading. With an 8 shot gun it's the same as production or single stack, there's just fewer makeup shots available.

I shot the Rocky Mountain 300 again today year. It's one of those matches with double sized stages. Here's a link to me shooting stage 5:

18 minutes ago, Distant Thunder said:

It's a shame they didn't have a water bottle table mid way through the stage like the ones provided for marathon/iron man runners.

Or a snack table. We have a similar match here call the "Crazy Croc." Long stages and hose-fests. First year I came, brought 500 rounds and almost ran out. I will *not* be shooting the Revo in that one.

Five at an Area Match is good these days.  Area 3 is always aimed at Open Division, lots of running and high round counts.

Even SS Major guys have 1 extra round, it takes some serious chutzpah and brass appendages (figuratively) to push the envelope knowing you can't afford a missed shot!

I liken Revolver Competitors to "stone cold shooters", as the Duke in "the Shootist" said, "friend I won't hesitate!"

I shot Area 1 but in single stack major. Couple of unloaded starts. Definitely some spots with no extra shots without a reload. Or when you fire #9 you're back to 8 shots. We had a couple of dqs.

First one shooter came aroud the left side engaged two targets and as he moved forward fired one into the left berm. Second one was a shooter who had only shot 5 or 6 USPSA matches previously. Classifier with 3, 6 shot strings, shooting limited he didn't change mags between strings. At ulasc he racked the slide, pulled the trigger, boom. Didn't remove mag.

I'll also be back up there for the state match.

On 6/25/2019 at 6:28 AM, PatJones said:

Huh? You just keep reloading. With an 8 shot gun it's the same as production or single stack, there's just fewer makeup shots available.

I shot the Rocky Mountain 300 again today year. It's one of those matches with double sized stages. Here's a link to me shooting stage 5:

Cool video. I reposted it.I hope you don't mind.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1541973