Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm velocity magnetospeed vs traditional

07yzryder

I'm loading for 9mm minor and was hoping someone has done some testing.

I only have a magnetospeed and am loading to about 5 over minor pf in the summer here in Vegas. My loads are pretty consistent but I don't have access to a traditional Chrono. What the velocity loss at 10 feet where a Chrono at a match would be?

I currently only shoot at local matches so I'm not to worried right now but as I progress I'd like to shoot bigger matches

Thanks 

Robert

4 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Difference shouldn't be too large - but, you should by a chrono.    :) 

They really come in handy.

I have a Chrono, just don't think I'm accurate enough to place it 10 feet downrange and not shoot it while trying to keep the bullet .25 over it hahahah.

I got rid of my traditional Chrono when I got the magneto speed cause most my shooting was rfle and it did all I need. Now stupid uspsa wants it at 10 feet or so

A couple years ago I did a test comparing magneto speed to my traditional chronograph. The velocity difference was somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-15 feet difference. Nothing I worried about. 

While I have not used a Magnetospped, I expect the velocity will be a bit higher due to the measurement being closer top the muzzle.  Chronograph measurement is ten yards or so from the muzzle.

Not a lot, but a difference.

10 hours ago, 07yzryder said:

I'm not accurate enough to place it 10 feet downrange and not shoot it  

Many of us will readily admit that we have done exactly your worst nightmare -

I've hit my Chrony twice.     :surprise:

But, I've learned and moved on.   

Now, I put target at 15 feet - fire couple shots to make sure I know where the

bullet is going, and then place the screens few feet behind that - fire thru the

screens into the target I already know I can hit.     :cheers:

It all depends on the brand of chronograph. Your magnetospeed is going to be much more accurate than any other chronograph other than a lab radar.  I have seen cheap traditional chronographs be over 50 fps different than my Labrador and magnetospeed