Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Welcher............

Richard Jones

Selling a rifle action on another board, guy put a note, ON THE FORUM, "I'll take it, call me tomorrow at xxx-xxx-xxxx, we'll work out the details," which we did. Today, he calls me, says he found another action, won't need mine. I said, that isn't right, a deal's a deal, but, whatever you want, dude. You gotta live with it, not me.

When I tell someone I'll buy something, I buy it, regardless of a better deal I might find later. You are only as good as your word. If your word's no good, then neither are you.

Rich (feeling much better after a wee drap of the Jack and some pink lemonade....) in VA

I wonder where the term "Welsher" comes from? As I am from Norwegian/Welsh descent, my ancestors mayhaps were given over to paroxyms of aggravated barter with Norman sailors. Perhaps I can know your lineage to appropriatly slur your ethnicity.

What it really boils down to is this. All you have in life is your good name. So if you tell someone you are going to do something. Then follow thru with it. If you can't due to circumstances beyond your control, it's not your fault. But if you can do what you promised, but choose not to: You are either a liar or a cheat.

Eventually Kharma will come back around and bite you in the ass 10 times worse.

Hopefully you as the wronged person will get to witness this.

Ok folks, it's "Welcher" also and we are going to go with that one here. I edited the topic title to reflect that.

Here is the basis for my somewhat informed opinion:

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/welcher

And even though the other "W" word is an accceptable variation, we are gonna pretend that only the one that slanders a grape juice brand exists.

Thanks in advance for your understanding here.

--

Regards,

I have backed out of deals before... :(  But never because I found a "better deal."  Sometimes circumstances dictate your actions.

If there are personal reasons why one must back out of a done deal, then let me know. I'm not going to hold someone to a gun deal if their kid needs milk money.

In this particular case, this individual bought a different action from a guy I know out in Utah (no offense to anyone from Utah), so he was just being an ass (my apologies if that offends any asses reading this, Welsh or otherwise).

Rich in VA

Today, he calls me, says he found another action, won't need mine. 

When I tell someone I'll buy something, I buy it, regardless of a better deal I might find later. You are only as good as your word. If your word's no good, then neither are you.

I feel your pain brutha. I've put several things up for sale and someone jumps on it, then later decides they don't want it. What they don't realize in the mean time is that the seller has already told other people who actually want it that the item is sold.

I think the best way to sell stuff over the net is to say "First money order to arrive at my address gets it" and send the rest back.

[....]

I think the best way to sell stuff over the net is to say "First money order to arrive at my address gets it"  and send the rest back.

Hmm....I'd have to want something pretty badly to do business like that. First, getting a money order is a slight hassle, and second, racing to the post office to beat mythical competition, would also be annoying. Finally if my money order didn't get there first, I have to wait for it to be returned, then -- because it might have your name on the certified funds, have to hassle with redepositing it. :(

Perhaps, if the item is expensive, and/or highly marketable, you might want to ask for a deposit via PayPal?

I have something of a different view in general towards this subject, however. Having bought and sold many, many hundreds of things over the 'net, the ability to cheaply advertise in front of hundreds/thousands/millions? of people still amazes me. The rare welcher or dead-beat is a pain, but insignificant by comparison, IMO. *Most* folks, in my experience, do the right thing.

I would never back out on a deal because I found the item cheaper elsewhere. That's lame. I am in the process of some Web deals right now. Here's an example of how things go when circumstances change.

Yesterday I ordered a Night Force scope from Dan Lilja. He was good enough to stop what he was doing to box it up and make sure UPS picked it up that day. I had sold a handgun on the Web (not here) and I planned on using the proceeds from that sale to pay for the scope. This morning, the guy backed out of the hand gun deal so now I have a $1400.00 scope on the way and the money I planned on using to pay for it is no more. So do I go in debt for the scope from Lilja or return it unopened and offer to pay a generous restocking fee for his troubles? Think about it a minute. Dan would be money ahead if I slip a couple of twenty dollar bills in the box and return the item, but a lot of folks would think I was being less than honorable. :unsure:

As for this forum, I have taken some risks for regulars and never gotten burned. This month I sold a pistol to a forum member and he sent me a personal check with instructions to wait for it to clear. I feel like a stooge for not sending an e-mail to let him know I received the check and FFL. I sent the pistol yesterday. No need to wait for the check to clear...I hope. ;)

Edited by Ron Ankeny