Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide mounted dot, 9Major builder? HELP, PLEASE!

cheers623

I know ALL of the reasons why you shouldn’t have one built. Believe me...I’ve had one built and after 8 different dots dying and two different slides fitted...I know it’s practically “Mission Impossible”. And yet I keep seeing pictures of new builds in 9Major (Specifically 2011 platform) that have slide mounted dots. Surely someone has had success?!?! Any gunsmiths out there that would be willing to stand behind their design and optic choice...please PM me! I’m moving to Carry Optics for a while and can wait. 

Not looking for suggestions of different frame mount options. Tried them all, don’t like them and don’t work for me. Not even looking for dot suggestions. Killed 2 Shields, 2 RTS2 v4s, and now 4 Vortex Vipers. Each company has been great in warrantying and replacing. Ideally, a builder that could install something like the Atlas optics plate for testing various optics. I asked Adam last week (nice guy btw) and he refused to build one in 9Major. 

Serious inquiry here...thanks guys. 

Two of the M Open shooters I shoot with use slide mounted dots on their Open guns.  Both recommended the DPP as being the only dot that would hold zero.  Both shoot major with 124s.  Two others have been shooting Open guns with slide mounted dots for two years with no issues.  One uses a FF3.  I don't know what the other uses.

The only Open gun I had with a slide mounted dot used a Burris FF3 8MOA.  No issues.  No issues with three other FF3s slide mounted on major pistols.  Same with an RTS2v4.

FWIW, the last three dots I bought were DPP 2.5s.  I like the ergonomics, battery life and brightness.

52 minutes ago, zzt said:

Two of the M Open shooters I shoot with use slide mounted dots on their Open guns.  Both recommended the DPP as being the only dot that would hold zero.  Both shoot major with 124s.  Two others have been shooting Open guns with slide mounted dots for two years with no issues.  One uses a FF3.  I don't know what the other uses.

The only Open gun I had with a slide mounted dot used a Burris FF3 8MOA.  No issues.  No issues with three other FF3s slide mounted on major pistols.  Same with an RTS2v4.

FWIW, the last three dots I bought were DPP 2.5s.  I like the ergonomics, battery life and brightness.

Same builder? Who?

I've got a .45 Taurus with a slide mounted FF III,  probably 5K or so rounds through it since I had the dot milling done.  First FFIII wouldn't adjust properly after being installed, sent it back and got a new one from Burris and it has worked and held up very well since then.

Taurus .45 ACP.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, geraldskip said:

Just curious, why did Atlas say no?

I would think there would be a reason?? 

To his credit, he said there’s no dots out there that’ll survive riding on a slide of a 9Major gun...period. I’m not giving up...but I appreciated his honest opinion!

On 6/4/2019 at 2:04 PM, Steve RA said:

I've got a .45 Taurus with a slide mounted FF III,  probably 5K or so rounds through it since I had the dot milling done.  First FFIII wouldn't adjust properly after being installed, sent it back and got a new one from Burris and it has worked and held up very well since then.

Taurus .45 ACP.JPG

I have had the same predicament with mine. I have gone thru 3-Vortexs & one of the new Bushnell's. Tried the Burris FF3 and it has held zero with no issues for many rounds, probably around 5K also. Lifetime warranty. 

gerritm