Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Not A .357

AzShooter

I didn't think the revolver side of IPSC would be an equipment race but it sure seems to be getting that way. Well, if you read about the posts here it seems to be.

Why is the .45 so much of an advantage? Has anyone compared split times between a .357 at major and a .45? I'm curious to see the numbers.

I understand that the larger chambers of the .45 add to loading it faster but how much does this contribute compared to an S&W 686 with Comp IIIs?

I've always loved my 625s, the gun just feels right in my hand but is it really the only gun to have for IPSC these days?

Just questioning, or stirring the pot. You decide.

The short answer is "yes" there is nothing out there to beat a 625. As for there being an equipment race in wheelgun I couldn't disagree (politely) more. Everybody has almost the same gear, and it truly is the ability of the shooter that determines the result in Revolver Division. The problem with a 686 is not in loading it with Comp III's, it's unloading it with loose brass. All it takes is one round under the star to convince you that it's a bad idea.

The short answer is "yes" there is nothing out there to beat a 625.  As for there being an equipment race in wheelgun I couldn't disagree (politely) more.  Everybody has almost the same gear, and it truly is the ability of the shooter that determines the result in Revolver Division.  The problem with a 686 is not in loading it with Comp III's, it's unloading it with loose brass.  All it takes is one round under the star to convince you that it's a bad idea.

There might be the other option: S&W 610, used with .40 S&W.

But in general, it is all depending on the loading. Even if a .357 Revolver is converted to clips, it is much faster to load the short .45 or .40.

The longer .357 tend to fall towards the center, forming like a "tent" during the reload what makes it sometimes a real hassle to fiddle them into the cylinder. And even with speedloaders you are far behind the loading times of a .45 or .40. With some practice, the load of a 625 or 610 is just like "fire and forget" i.e. throw it in from a few inches away. With a speedloader you have to put the cartidges exactly aligned in the cylinder and release them from the Speedloader by pressing onto the axis or turning or anything else, which means you are longer "in contact" with the ammo and thus making the reload significantly slower than just to throw a full moonclip in...

My 2 cents...

Georg

The short answer is "yes" there is nothing out there to beat a 625.  As for there being an equipment race in wheelgun I couldn't disagree (politely) more.  Everybody has almost the same gear, and it truly is the ability of the shooter that determines the result in Revolver Division.  The problem with a 686 is not in loading it with Comp III's, it's unloading it with loose brass.  All it takes is one round under the star to convince you that it's a bad idea.

I´m using a 568 with shortened .38 SPL brass loaded major and clips - and I´m not slower than other comparable shooters around. I also know some Swiss shooters using 357ers in IPSC (some of them are faster then me... :blink: ) So in my opinion, if there still exists a 686 or something similar - you don´t need to buy a 625 to be fast! Just change it for clip usage and you´re done!

I tried some years ago a 625 - it´s still in my safe cause I like it and it´s build finest - but in fact - I was slower and not successful with the N-Frame!!

just my 2 cents.....

DVC!

Sascha

I'm on a "mini mission" I am shooting the L frame for the USPSA matches with speedloaders and shooting minor to see how I fare. The classifiers I shot (can't remember the #'s) have been in the B range. I think I'm an A shooter but my classifers don't show it. The only draw back of the speedloaders is the "disaster factor" (one under the star) :wacko: and having to pick up your brass. :angry: rdd

Okay, rules check post ! :ph34r: !

Can I legally convert a 6 shot 686 over to moon clips for USPSA ???

also for IPSC ?? (for those world shoot folks)

I gots 2 7 shot monclipped 686's but I can't count that well in the heat of

the moment  :wacko:

Yes you can shoot a converted moon clip 686 in USPSA and IPSC.

Bubber...

I know you can shoot into A with a 686. You load just as fast if not faster with it than any mooned gun. I do thing that you lose too many points shooting minor but I could be wrong. Let me know what you experience.

Yes you can shoot a converted moon clip 686 in USPSA and IPSC.

Welp, looks like the next Brownells order will have some 6 shot moon

clips added :)

I got a TON of these 200 grn round nose lead bullets that Jerry M. used to use

on pins, making PF with those and 38 spcl brass should be simple.

yep, it is!

My recipe is with original .38 spl brass, 200grs RN H&N HS (copper platet with special coating), 5,8grs N350, Fed 100, OAL ~38,2mm (1,504") makes ~175 PF out of a 4" 586 and has ~2300 Bar chamber pressure (measured) - not good for permanent usage in a 38Spl gun, but in a .357 "no problem".

DVC!

Sascha

Also, to beat an old, old horse, the .45 makes a bigger hole in the target. Sometimes, this larger hole can get you a better score on edge hits. If it's on the line between two different scoring ranges on your target, you get the higher score. A bigger bullet can give you a real edge there, and maybe make the difference between winning, and losing.

Bob