Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Pistol Project Question

Chuck D

2 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

One can easily score well in classifiers with a few charlies (if shooting major).  You only need to shoot A's if you can do it without spending more than an extra 1/10 second to do it. The only real advantage to minor is in round count. It will never allow you to shoot fast enough to overcome the PF disadvantage except in situations where it is expected to get all alphas (can you count, or all zebra targets, or all steel).

One can easily score well in classifiers shooting minor too.  As are generally pretty easy when you are just standing and shooting, if they are not, maybe you need more practice.  And if you actually read my first post that you partially quoted you would see that i recommend major for everything, after having used both.  I did however move up in classification shooting minor and hitting As, but I feel in field courses minor hurts too much to make up for the 2 rounds.

18 minutes ago, RJH said:

One can easily score well in classifiers shooting minor too.  As are generally pretty easy when you are just standing and shooting, if they are not, maybe you need more practice.  

I definitely need more practice, but switching to major bumped up my classification percentage about 5% in a few weeks, allowing me to finally make M. You probably would also have moved up faster shooting major. That's been the experience of every SS M and GM I know.

Edited by motosapiens

On 5/29/2019 at 1:02 PM, RJH said:

i recommend major for everything, after having used both.  I did however move up in classification shooting minor and hitting As, but I feel in field courses minor hurts too much to make up for the 2 rounds.

Some stats to support this recommendation. If you were to pick a random pair of competitors shooting the same stage in Single Stack, one shooting major and another shooting minor, the one shooting major would have higher hit factor in 51.9% of cases. For classifier stages it's 56.1%. Not a large difference, but it's there.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2019 at 3:54 PM, zzt said:

Since you will not consider a 40sw, a 1911 bushing barrel in 45 ACP gives you the most options.  You can shoot bullseye centerfire and 45 legs with the gun.  It is a huge advantage in pin and 2x4 shoots.  In USPSA you can shoot Single Stack minor or major, or Limited 10 with a ten round mag.  CDP in IDPA is another you could shoot.  In Steel Challenge you can shoot Single Stack or Limited.  Outlaw steel matches abound.  When the rules say steel must fall to score, 45 is a huge advantage.  With a 9mm 1911 you would be at a disadvantage in some of these matches, and other classes would not be available to you.

The only downside to 45 in USPSA is at lost brass matches.  45 brass is more expensive than 40 or 9mm.

This. I am in the process of ordering a custom 45 1911, because I can use it for Bullseye CF/45 (including service pistol), steel, USPSA SS major, IDPA, up to bowling pins, all with just swapping out a recoil spring (and oddly enough, removing the magwell for the CMP service pistol shoots). I don't want five or six different guns, I want one really really good gun that'll get me to Master in any discipline that I put the effort into. And steel always falling when hit and (particularly when using semiwadcutter) making nice big holes in paper/cardboard targets just makes me smile.

The 45 is nice and to me easier to shoot than the 40. The guns usually run better. The only hiccup I've had with a 45 is a broken extractor. The 9's and 40's never seem to get through  several matches with out a hang up. Stage planning to me is a little easier with SS major but I'm a simpleton.  Shoot 4 targets (8 rounds) reload, shoot 4 targets reload and so on. Yes, 45 components cost a little more to reload but  so what if it's what you enjoy. Good luck with the 45 SS.

I have only shot one match that minor really would have paid off and it was because the match director was shooting single stack minor.

I am shooting a 40SW currently because I run 10 round Tripp 10mm mags and can declare minor if I want to. 

If you don't want to go 40SW I would for sure do 45ACP  just to keep the major. You plan on shooting single stack just embrace the suck and practice reloads. I constantly beat B and A class Limited shooters even with the lower mag capacity.

I see a lot of people leave the SS game because of reloads but I love them. Make it hard and still chase down the high cap guys. 

On 6/17/2019 at 9:34 PM, Igloodude said:

I don't want five or six different guns, I want one really really good gun that'll get me to Master in any discipline that I put the effort into.

I started out that way. For years I shot only a 1911 45.  As I got better I found that it really was not optimal for everything.  For one thing, a 3.5 lb. trigger is a drawback for most competitions.  I bought a Limited gun and loved it.  Then I bought two dedicated 22 conversions for the 1911, one for bullseye and one for competitions.  Then I built a custom 1911 45 so I could have one set for bullseye, and the other with a 2.2 lb. trigger for competitions.  Then I bought a custom Open gun, and later a backup.  Then I built a custom 2011 Open for USPSA and a 1911 Open for Steel Challenge.  This turned out to be overkill, so I'll probably thin the herd a little.

So back to the original point.  As long as you don't want to shoot Open, two 1911 45s will get the job done with few compromises.

On 6/17/2019 at 8:34 PM, Igloodude said:

This. I am in the process of ordering a custom 45 1911, because I can use it for Bullseye CF/45 (including service pistol), steel, USPSA SS major, IDPA, up to bowling pins, all with just swapping out a recoil spring (and oddly enough, removing the magwell for the CMP service pistol shoots). I don't want five or six different guns, I want one really really good gun that'll get me to Master in any discipline that I put the effort into. And steel always falling when hit and (particularly when using semiwadcutter) making nice big holes in paper/cardboard targets just makes me smile.

At the beginning that thought process is good with only 1 caveat.  It is harder to reach ones optimum level without the best possible platform.  The gun you describe is optimum for the disciplines you list.  

But at some point it is fun, and dare I say inticing, to try other Divisions.  Then you will need the proper firearm, ammo and rig to do so.  But specialize and focus first, once you have mastered yourself in match situations, you can expand.  The down side is falling into the trap of having to choose from so many Divisions/Competitions it can become paralyzing.  I sometimes just can't decide which platform I most WANT to shoot!  A thoroughly happy conundrum!!!😀

On 6/24/2019 at 11:44 AM, pskys2 said:

At the beginning that thought process is good with only 1 caveat.  It is harder to reach ones optimum level without the best possible platform.  The gun you describe is optimum for the disciplines you list.  

But at some point it is fun, and dare I say inticing, to try other Divisions.  Then you will need the proper firearm, ammo and rig to do so.  But specialize and focus first, once you have mastered yourself in match situations, you can expand.  The down side is falling into the trap of having to choose from so many Divisions/Competitions it can become paralyzing.  I sometimes just can't decide which platform I most WANT to shoot!  A thoroughly happy conundrum!!!😀

Indeed. Well, I should confess, I have a friend who has been able to set me up with his spare Glock 9mm and holster so I've already done a couple Limited USPSA matches, and I've already got a 625 revolver (with a nicely smoothed out trigger) so I can also pretty readily go in the other direction and shoot Revolver in competitions with relatively little additional investment.

On 6/25/2019 at 7:41 PM, Igloodude said:

Indeed. Well, I should confess, I have a friend who has been able to set me up with his spare Glock 9mm and holster so I've already done a couple Limited USPSA matches, and I've already got a 625 revolver (with a nicely smoothed out trigger) so I can also pretty readily go in the other direction and shoot Revolver in competitions with relatively little additional investment.

Now there's a plan.