Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A question about etiquite

I completely agree with jhgtyre, masking profanity with infrequently used punctuation is silly.  I also find I'm little offended by profanity...it's the sentiment being expressed that is offensive or not, in total.  

When I started boot camp, my drill instructor bellowed at the recruits:  "Now, get your doggone scuzzy, nasty bodies in the doggone head and brush your doggone fangs!"  He didn't say "doggone", but you get the idea.  Not offensive.  Mostly comical, but strangely panic-inducing.  

They swore all the time, but when one recruit said "F-you" to another recruit they went ballistic.  And then I realized, that the DIs never had said anything like that to a recruit at all.  

Anyway, if you feel the need to use profanity, like some particular word just fits there, then I say "Bring the shiz-nit!"

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

Well then let's just skip the words!!!

cussing.gif  thebirds.gifargue.gif  flipa.gif  damnit1.gif

By the way, anytime anyone want to use these instead of a curse word, just right click the icon and copy the properties code.  Then use icon properties here[ /img] around the properties (html code).

The world will be a better

F***ing place.....

(Edited by TDean at 5:40 pm on May 21, 2002)

DogmaDog,  the case of the recruits use of a particular phrase may have been a case of reinforcing authority and chain of command.  They (the recruits) had not yet achieved sufficient status to use such language.  "If you want to swear like the head fred, you gotta be the head fred."

It may well be that the DI's had/have a whole list of behaviors that are to be looked for.  Some indicate who will be a future leader, some indicate who will be a future troublemaker, and some simply indicate that they have become accustomed to the level of stress they are under.  Which of course means more stress is required.

I find this site a relief from all the others because of its lack of profanity. Maybe its because I know most of us do cuss - but in here we choose not to. I have the foulest mouth of anyone I know - but in this forum I do not feel compelled to use it.

I believe that it may be the simple fact that I don't know many of you - I respect all of you - and in light of that I would rather not cuss and be excepted then cuss and offend people I respect.

JB  shootingsoldier.gif

(Edited by j1b at 8:00 am on May 24, 2002)

• 4 weeks later...