Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Undersize die issue

Lucreau

Loading 9 major on an xl650. Getting 3-6 rounds per 100 that fail my hundo case and fail a chamber check. Tried maxing out my undersized die and marked some brass with sharpie to see how deep down the sizing was happening and it’s stopping about 1/4” from the case head. Is this normal for the U-die to not size the whole case? Or do I need to look at a different die

http://i65.tinypic.com/1zva1pk.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by Lucreau

2 hours ago, Lucreau said:

Loading 9 major on an xl650. Getting 3-6 rounds per 100 that fail my hundo case and fail a chamber check. Tried maxing out my undersized die and marked some brass with sharpie to see how deep down the sizing was happening and it’s stopping about 1/4” from the case head. Is this normal for the U-die to not size the whole case? Or do I need to look at a different die

http://i65.tinypic.com/1zva1pk.jpg[/IMG]

1/4”!?! Should size way lower than that. Is the die adjusted down to where it just kisses an empty shell plate?

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

1/4”!?! Should size way lower than that. Is the die adjusted down to where it just kisses an empty shell plate?

It’s adjusted all the way down to allow the shell plate to still cycle all the way up a the stroke of the handle. Any lower and the handle doesn’t bottom out

If the shell plate is tight . If the size die is screwed in till it makes contact with shell plate.

There is something wrong with the die.    (  IF)   Try screwing the die it till a very slight cam over is felt.

Edited by AHI

10 hours ago, Sarge said:

^^ What Sarge said.... cycle handle all the way down and then screw die within .004" from shell plate, use a piece of paper to set this height.

Timmy

Just backed off the die, cycles the handle all the way down and screwed the die down to where it’s just kissing the empty plate. Still getting the same results with it only sizing a little over half the case. Should I e mail EGW and see if it’s a defected die?

Stupid question, but did you check the inside of the U-die on the pin. I somehow twice have had a .22 case pierced by the pin blocking the case from seating correctly. Range brass, must have been stuck inside one of the 9mm cases. 

gerritm 

2 hours ago, Furrly said:

Try a different sizing die if you have one.. Thats definitely a problem.. 

I’m gunna throw the regular Dillon sizing die on there tonight and see how deep it sixes the case