Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Want To Glue Rubber Sheet To My Holster

Rikarin

I want to glue rubber sheet to the inside of the paddle part of my holster. I use Comptech paddle and lock one. Its a long story why..

My questions to you resourceful guys are...

where can I buy rubber sheet?

what to cut with? Utlity knife?

what glue should I use?

Thank you! I also want to glue the leftover to the bottom of my mags too :)

Rubber like 1/4 inch thick?

I cut this with a utility knife, and the best glue I have found for rubber is contact cement, ohters may have better experience with this.

You can get it off ebay. Or... you may find some at a local hardware store or a fabric store.

I want to glue rubber sheet to the inside of the paddle part of my holster.  I use Comptech paddle and lock one.  Its a long story why..

My questions to you resourceful guys are...

what to cut with?  Utlity knife? 

what glue should I use?

Thank you!  I also want to glue the leftover to the bottom of my mags too :)

Depends where you are sticking it. Is it to the part of the paddle that goes against your body or inside the paddle ?

If you are talking about inside the paddle then plastic would be better than rubber as it won't stick to the belt as you take it on and off - try a hobby shop for plastic sheets.

If attaching to the inside of the paddle (to make it more comfortable) then foam may be better than rubber. You can get foam from camera shops (for installing into rigid camera cases. Stick some velcro (soft side) to the foam and hook side to the paddle, that way you can remove it and soak it in water in case it gets dirty.

I use the fuzzy side of velcro (probably for the same reason) and it usually comes with the adheasive applied, wide (2" rolls from wallyworld). I have seen others use "roofing" membrane or tire tube material, contact cement (or weatherstrip adheasive) works very well just follow the instuctions for the glue.

Does the paddle irritate your hip area? Try the velco first it allows the area to breath and it has the added advantage of holding a tucked shirt (in the area around the holster) in place.

what to cut with?  Utlity knife? 

what glue should I use?

Thank you!  I also want to glue the leftover to the bottom of my mags too :)

1. Carpet store, they use it as underlay for vinyl floors, or automotive section of hardware store (look for thin floor mats).

2. craft knife

3. Rubber solution glue. When dry it's kind of rubbery (or lovely as they say in Japan :D )

Rikarin, I would try an auto parts store or farm supply house. I have a good sized sheet of red rubber gasket material that is about 1/8" thick and could be doubled to make a 1/4" piece. Rubber contact cement is the stuff to use. Rough-up the holster with sandpaper and wait until the contact cement dries before sticking it together. Yes, a utility knife is the best cutting tool.

If you can't find any suitable rubber, PM me and I'll mail you some to experiment with.

Wow thanks! I was thinking only one kind of store has one kind of stuff I need but didn't expect you guys are so creative and resourceful!

I want to gule to Inside the padded area which go aginst my hipbone. My hipbone's brused :( Also, I can not tuck shirt in, seriously, and it is getting cold.

When I have a layer between me and the holster, holster and belt altogether slide up with gun when draw. because see, shooting belt is around " below natural waist" which is fatter than natural waist.

Paddle against skin prevent this. I can also wear really tight pants (I wouldn't be able to move) or wear belt on natural waist, which makes another problem... because women's waist is higher, by the time I pull the gun off from holster, rear sight would stuck to my underarm :(

I explained this because some people might wonder and will give wrong suggestion without proper info.

Thanks again! Will look into those resources and decided whats best. Velcro fuzzy side... how creative!

And Sam, thanks for the offer!

My recolection is this is no considered illigal... but I could be so wrong. I will check on this again. My palm's brused too trying to slap into full-loaded mags.

On Magazine base pads?

For Production is that considered added weight, and thus illegal?

They have some good 1/4 closed-cell foam (something like that) at Home Depot.

I'd suggest the loops velcro as well. It may very well pad the area and solve your discomfort. If not, it can be used to secure a thin pad, say a piece cut from an old mouse pad?, by gluing the hooks velcro to the pad and sticking them together.

Good luck!

John

Find a contractor that makes shower pans from rubber prior to tiling. They will have all kinds of scrap pieces you can probably get free. Rolled rubber roofing material will probably work too.

Rainbow packing (orange gasket material) is an option also but is stiff and not very pliable on contours.

As for adhesive, most are not pliable so you will have to experiment.

Regards,

Also look into soft foam and duct-tape as a possibility if you've got lots of distance to bridge-- women with holsters at belt level frequently need a lot of spacing to get the holster anywhere close to vertical.

I have seen some sew/attach additional belt loops to their pants to secure the support gear (as per USPSA :

5.2.3 Unless otherwise specified in the written stage briefing, the belt

carrying the holster and all allied equipment must be worn at

waist level. The belt or the inner belt or both must be either permanently

fixed at the waist, or secured with a minimum of three

belt loops.

5.2.3.1 Female competitors may be permitted to wear a belt, holster

and allied equipment at hip level, however, the top of the

belt must not be positioned below the furthest lateral point

of the top of the femur (tuberosity major). If another belt is

worn at waist level, the holster and allied equipment must

be placed on the lower belt (see Appendix D).

This allong with some mods you have mentiond should help/ GL :D

My take on the belt thing is to wear low rise pants/shorts. The belt loops end up on your hips not your natural waist...I've also used 1/2" rubber gas tubing as a spacer on mags and holsters...kinda' like a thick washer using extended screws. As for padding, the loop side velcro is easy to use too. I did that to a holster bit that kept rubbing a hole in my pants leg.