Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alliant Sport Pistol Question

Mac_Menamy

Hello everyone,

Been using Alliant for about a year now and today I just noticed there are brown flakes in my power. Not a lot but enough to notice. Anyone Have any insight on what it is? First time I’ve noticed it. 

9AFEB156-DCB5-4279-BDE6-12EB37FC9885.jpeg

3 minutes ago, xcutter45 said:

Alliant Green Dot has green marker granules...perhaps they are going to use brown as a marker for Sport Pistol...for powders that look identical, a visual marker can be handy...

Interesting! It’s definitely different, but makes a lot of sense. 

8 hours ago, xcutter45 said:

Alliant Green Dot has green marker granules...perhaps they are going to use brown as a marker for Sport Pistol...for powders that look identical, a visual marker can be handy...

That makes a lot of sense Thanks. 

On 4/14/2019 at 4:30 PM, Mac_Menamy said:

Hello everyone,

Been using Alliant for about a year now and today I just noticed there are brown flakes in my power. Not a lot but enough to notice. Anyone Have any insight on what it is? First time I’ve noticed it. 

9AFEB156-DCB5-4279-BDE6-12EB37FC9885.jpeg

Obviously you have a defective batch. Send it to me for proper disposal. 

read this on Alliant website...    . "Sport Pistol's low-muzzle-flash formulation is also optimized for polymer-coated bullets, whereas comparable powders can dissolve polymer coatings at the bullet base during ignition'' 

those brown flakes might be an additive to prevent dissolving the polymer on coated bullets.... ?

It's a mismarked jug of the new Alliant Brown Dot powder. It very similar to Sport Pistol and you can use similar data.

Sorry, couldn't help it. I went out and looked at a recent order of Sport Pistol and they are in mine too (brown flakes that is).