Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 2.0 and Apex Triggers

jmtyndall

Hey, couple of quick questions regarding Apex trigger kits on the 2.0 series of M&P. Looking on the website it looks like the 2.0 series uses parts from the M&P 45 kits instead of the parts from the small frame 1.0 kits.

I don't see the competition action enhancement kits listed for the 2.0 pistols and I'm wondering if I can just order the kit for 45 ACP guns, or if I need to order the spring kit for the 1.0 9/40 and then the plunger/sear for the 45?

None of this may matter if I end up buying the fancy aluminum trigger they offer, but I want to test one out before I spend that kind of money.

Edited by jmtyndall

Get the trigger.  I got the spring kit, then added the trigger later.  Parts aren't compatible, so if you go that route, you'll spend something like 100 on the spring kit, and 160 later on the trigger kit.

The apex trigger is night and day better than the stock one.  You won't regret it.

Talked to APEX, they don't offer the competition kit for the 2.0's because the competition springs are too light and the kit doesn't function reliably. Their proposed method of getting the trigger pull into the 4lb range is to buy any of the trigger kits plastic or polymer action enhancement kits, or the flat faced trigger and leave in the stock bronze colored springs. The flat faced trigger offers a shorter pull and overtravel than the others, but they're all shorter than stock.

Decisions to be made. Not super keen on spending $170 on a trigger, but I'll see if I can find anyone local with one that I can test out first.

I installed only the Apex DCAE kit (sear, sear spring and Ultimate striker block) in my 5" M&P9 2.0.  I kept the stock trigger and springs.  And yes, it was the kit made for the M&P .45. 

It transformed the trigger pull even though the 2.0 trigger was supposed to be an improvement over the 1.0 version. Pull is now 4 pounds even and very clean.

I installed only the Apex DCAE kit (sear, sear spring and Ultimate striker block) in my 5" M&P9 2.0.  I kept the stock trigger and springs.  And yes, it was the kit made for the M&P .45. 

It transformed the trigger pull even though the 2.0 trigger was supposed to be an improvement over the 1.0 version. Pull is now 4 pounds even and very clean.

Thanks for the feedback. I had concerns reading the description that it might not actually reduce my pull weight. So the springs included in the kit increase the pull weight relative to the stock ones?

28 minutes ago, jmtyndall said:

Thanks for the feedback. I had concerns reading the description that it might not actually reduce my pull weight. So the springs included in the kit increase the pull weight relative to the stock ones?

Yes, oddly they do.  The Apex springs don't so much increase the pull weight relative to the OEM trigger but return it to about the same pull weight.  The "DCAE" kit is sold for  "Duty Carry Action Enhancement" with some emphasis on Duty Carry.   I.e., it's intended to improve the trigger pull quality but not reduce it to the point that an LEO is likely fire the gun inadvertently.   

In my gun installing just the sear, sear spring and striker block reduced the pull from 6+ pounds to 4 pounds but, more importantly, improved the pull quality and eliminated a noticeable "hitch" in the pull as the trigger bar pushes the OEM striker block out of the way.   Since I don't use my M&P as a carry gun, the lighter pull is a bonus for me.

Edited by SteelCityShooter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tim, there's a chart on the forward-set trigger page that shows what all the pull weights are for different spring combos. Quite informative.

As for my conclusion, I decided I knew I want to upgrade to a different gun rather than invest a fortune in making this one shoot good. In the mean time I went ahead and bought the DCAEK and while I had the gun apart I polished up the trigger bar, the interface between trigger bar and the "c-clip", the striker block channel and the sear plunger. The trigger is way smoother and also way lighter. Sure it has some pretravel and a bit of overtravel but it doesn't seem any worse than stock in that regard.

I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but the pull weight is significantly reduced and I didn't replace any of the springs.

Ok thanks.  I was only looking at the weights and knew others using the forward set kits had achieved very light pulls.  But I had also seen posts around the net of people not being able to go near that low.   I do know that Randy specifically stated when first testing out the 2.0 that he could get pull weights lower than he ever could get the 1.0 without getting flutter.  Then you had people using the DCAEK triggers etc and trying to use the comp spring kits and not being able to bring trigger pulls down as low as the 1.0 because of the increased bearing surface and friction of the 2.0 and its larger frame rails etc.

All the back and forth because of the different kits and parts is what confused me about what people were saying.  Hence my question above.  Thanks for the tip to search for the chart on APEX pulls weight combos.

I have done similar as you plan for your 2.0 but I still had a 1.0 5" CORE 9.   It's the poster boy for being fully Apex'd.   Flat Face Alum Forward Set Kit, Extractor, their gunsmith fit barrel.  First I tighten up slide to frame but not 1911 match tight as that effects the barrel lug fit.  Polished everything that touched anything.

I do agree though its amazing what a good polish job alone can do to the feel of a trigger.  Just got done doing a few J frame for some people.  Polished everything up before I even made a spring change and it was night and day difference.  Swear S&W must be trying on purpose to make triggers a gritty, heavy, and uneven as possible.  None of them would even register on the trigger pull tester.  They were all over 13lb and my guess is one of them was 15+.  The all time worst trigger I ever pulled on was a j frame 22 mag they are still producing.  It could give you a finger cramp after a few mins of shooting. LOL  Do not even want to guess the trigger pull on that thing.  Putting the large round in a brand new mag too less pressure.

• 4 weeks later...

I put an .45 sear, and competition spring kit in the 5", 2.0. I also rounded and polished the striker block, similar to Apex Ultimate striker block.

Apex told me that the competition spring kit wouldn't work in 2.0, but, mine has about 3K through it without issues.

I don't remember exactly what the trigger pull weight came in at, but, it's between 2-3"

I have an extra, new in package, Apex, competition spring kit that it looks like I'm not going to use, if you want it.

• 4 weeks later...

I put the FSS Trigger kit in 5" 2.0 - left the stock trigger & sear springs in per the chart, and wound up at 3.9 lbs pretty consistently - IIRC the chart said it would end up around 4.3, so there is some variance to be expected.  

Looks like there is always some variance in results (like there is in new pistols).  I put the 100-154 APEX kit in my 5" 9MM.  The only spring I used from the kit was the one for the striker block.  I left the factory trigger return spring and sear spring in.  No polishing/stoning of any parts.  Trigger pull tested out at 3&1/4 lbs. and is unbelievable on reset.  You let the trigger out till you hear/feel the reset and stop.  Movement to the rear between reset and release is undetectable to me.  Did I say it was awesome?  Much better results than my first APEX kit install in the 9MM 1.0 M&P FS several years ago.

I would spend that money for the Apex kit again if I bought another M&P 2.0.