Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tip to clean barrel threads for thread locker

shootmove

A tip for those of you working to clean barrel threads so that you can attach a compensator: soak the barrel in a glass bottle filled with M-Pro 7. I'm attaching a comp to a KKM barrel. I used Rocksett to secure the comp, but the comp broke loose during shooting. I believe it broke loose because I failed to clean the barrel threads sufficiently--they were still black with carbon fouling.

After trying several methods that did not get the threads sparkling clean, I've had the best success with *soaking the tip of the barrel in M-Pro 7 cleaner* (glass spice bottles are a good size.) No other form of saturation or solvent seemed to work (Goo Gone failed, Isopropyl failed, rubber banding a patch soaked in WeaponShield failed--in fairness, these solvents may have worked in a long-term "spice bottle" soak).

Let's see how these cleaner threads lock up.

Any other tips? I toyed with detailing the threads with a needle, but it didn't seem to work that well.

1 hour ago, Don_B said:

Wire brush should clean them just fine. 

I tried with a copper brush with no luck - the brush is admittedly old and flattened. These threads are pretty fine (9/16 x 32), so maybe that's the issue.

I use a new bronze bristle brush to brush the old stuff off.  If there is carbon I use Weapon Shield Solvent, but other solvents would work.  I then clean all parts with alcohol, wait for it to dry, then apply primer.  When that dries I cover threads with red Locktite and spin it on.  You have to be quick because with the primer you only have 15 seconds to get it on and clocked before it sets.  This lasts the whole season until the end.  A couple of monster matches with several 50-64 round stages heats everything up so much the comp starts to come loose.