Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Side Mounted Optics vs TOP mounted

Sparten8654

The side mounted is lower to the bore - more natural place to find the sights than looking 2" up in the air.

AND, it doesn't get in the way of brass trying desperately to leave your ejection port.

The problem is it obscures your sight on the left side of the gun and is trickier to adjust.

If your gun is set up properly and you get used to the top mounted optic, there is really

no disadvantage to it.   But, if you can make the transition to dialing in the sideways sights,

there is not much disadvantage there, either   :) 

Why are you converting ?

It's a personal choice.  I prefer side mounted.   No ejection problems with mixed brass 9mm.  Closer to the bore, easier transition between irons and dot.

I did pick up a 45° mount--going to play with it when I get time.  Might be the best of both worlds.

19 minutes ago, open17 said:

It's a personal choice.  I prefer side mounted.   No ejection problems with mixed brass 9mm.  Closer to the bore, easier transition between irons and dot.

I did pick up a 45° mount--going to play with it when I get time.  Might be the best of both worlds.

45 minutes ago, Sparten8654 said:

I was wondering  what the advantage and disadvantages of are of a sideways mounted c-more vs the top  mounted optic is.. 

I'm converting my Serendipity mount over to a slide ride and was looking at both styles .

Put an RTS2 on it. Sideways slide ride works better but I found it utterly ugly.

7 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Put an RTS2 on it. Sideways slide ride works better but I found it utterly ugly.

I tried it a few years ago and lasted 1 match.  I hated it.  I could not take it off fast enough.  RTS2's since then and never looked back. 

Edited by echotango

The other thing to consider is that if you want to use a thumb rest with a 90* mount, you might need to use a racker on the right side of the gun.  Real estate gets tight if you want both on the left.  Before I change to an RTS2, I had a 90* slideride.  The minimal difference in height above the bore has not been relevant

So the reason is I am a left handed shooter and i'm converting the serenipidity mount to a rail way mount. Since the old mount is double sided i'm looking at a single side.

Being left handed the *thumb rest [generic]* will go on the right side of the pistol, so im trying to keep the profile low as  possible. As for the RTS optic,, i'm getting mixed reviews it seems like the RTS isn't as bright or as big.  

IMG_6233.JPG

IMG_6232.JPG

Couldn't get my thumb up into the thumb rest on a 90 mount.

Use a .020 offset so no ejection problems and don't hav to fiddle with ejection pattern with mixed range brass.

Tried the rest like it the best.

Currently playing with a DPP on an Atlas mount on my back up gun.  Seems real Good but not as good as the Slide ride C more

I can't stand my top mounted Slideride.  Both of my new Open guns will wear DPP 2.5s.  Brighter, lower to the bore, clearer and the batteries last.

BTW, the size of the glass should not concern you.  If you bring the gun to bear and the dot is not on target, you need practice, not a bigger glass.  For steel challenge I believe the smaller glass is better.  Se white; pull the trigger.

While the concept of the sideways C-more is really appealing, I can’t use them. On the draw, my thumb catches the back of the C-more each and every time. I’ve tried massaging my technique but just couldn’t reliably change, so back to a top mount and RTS2 for me!