Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beta Mags

Okay, who used a Beta Mag at the RM3GN? Did it work or did it cost you a stage? Was it more difficult to use in the tight positions (Like the pine tree-stage 1) or did it not get in your way? Was it fully loaded or downloaded? Was it necessary or would a well-timed reload work just as well? Inquiring minds want to know? B)

Erik

Three guys on squad 5 used Beta mags on stage 4. One of them worked fine, the other two died and hurt both shooters pretty bad. I had one with me, but I never used it. I didn't see any stage where the Beta would have offered me any real advantage. The way the stages were set up, you had plenty of time to make a reload.

Don't know why, but I saw one too many Beta got jammed up in my stage. If I remembered correctly, the two that worked well were Jimmy's and Daniel's. I didn't use mine since it was not necessary and I needed the monopodding capability of the 30. I believe the Beta has a place in running and hosing stage since a 2 seconds reload could potentially put someone in or out of a higher placement, but not for the precision long range stage where there is plenty of time to do a reload on the run.

I left them home, on purpose, but there were several in our squad. One ran fine, two puked with catastrophic results. The dreaded double feed/semi-permanent jam. I shot mt rifle like crap so it would not have mattered for me, but a beta would have been hard to shoot well from some of the positions. A 30 or 40 as a mono pod worked much better. My take on the longer range targets?

30rd Labelle with Arredondo pad - $25

Mk262 Mod1 ammo - $0.40/round

enough oxygen at 7000 ft. - PRICELESS!

The biggest mistake people make when using Beta’s are they don’t graphite the crap out of them before the use them. The Beta’s can be cleaned and must be thoroughly doused with graphite. Trapper used a Beta (I believe) on stage four that gave up on him and had to do a mag change. He later smagged it up with graphite and it ran flawlessly.

Kellyb

My beta works great. I have used it this year at the Smm3g, Ironman, Dpms and Rm3gWC.

From the DPMS post I made to my email list and on my blogger:

••••••

Tip 2

How to keep a Beta mag working!

I know everyone complains about keeping Beta mags working. They are the 100 round dual drum mags for the Ar-15’s.

1. Keep them full of the dry graphite!

2. Use 6-8 times and sell it and get another new one!

3. Keep an eye on the lips and the front of the feed area for any damage.

4. That’s it!

That’s how I keep my Beta’s constantly functioning properly.

I forgot to add, keep the little cover that comes with them on it and keep them clean in their bag.

•••••••

Click here to sign up for the email list.

Didn't use it for the RM3G but in other matches it has worked fine. Another shooter used his in our squad on two stages without problems. I believe keeping them lubed and having it "broken in" will make them reliable.

Betas feed slower than regular USGI magazines. When I was using one with our machine guns last year, I had to go to a heavier buffer to slow the action down enough so that the magazine would feed in time with the cycling of the action. I sold it after I had the feed tower crack twice from use that wasn't very hard at all.

As low mass carriers and lighter buffers are commonly used by 3 Gunners, I would be willing to guess that malfunctions were probably a combination of the beta mags not being able to keep up with the cycling of the bolt, and lack of maintenance.

I used a Beta on every rifle stage at RM3G, it ran flawlessly!

Ran flawlessly at the IRONMAN as well.

No mag changes, just run and gun, hop and pop, shoot and loot!

Seriously, all mags have their advantages and disadvantages.

Beta's are not as good as 30 rounders for prone mono-podding in most situations.

Beta's do not work well in house clearing stages when the shooting port is a tight window next to a 90 deg. inside corner.

Going prone in deep sand or pine duff a 40 rounder sunk into the sand 3-5 inches is more stable and allows a higher clearence than a 30 rounder.

Some stages/situations call for a 20 rounder.

Use the mag that compliments the stage!

A serious 3gunner will have 20's, 30's, 40's and a Beta at his/her disposal.