Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Free Float Handguards

jimstc

For 3-gun? Many will say JP because, (1) its a nice piece of metal, (2) you have a lot of choices in terms of where to mount accessory rails and (3) its a made by a company that supports 3-gun. The free float tube on my rifle is a DPMS and I think it does just fine, too and they do plenty to support 3-gun.

I have just recently bought a Bushmaster Varmiter that has the aluminum free float handguard. It is vented and has a really nice checkered gripping surface.

You might want to also check out the DPMS carbon fiber handguard. You can't mount anything on it, but it supposed to not heat up.

I'm not so sure that any one is "better" than another as far as improving accuracy so it's a simple matter of appearance / esthetics and function as far as mounting accessories like bipods or forward vertical grips.

I'd definately get one that is 3 pieces - tube, barrel nut, lock nut. They make for a very trouble free install and adjustment.

For 3-gun?  Many will say JP because, (1) its a nice piece of metal, (2) you have a lot of choices in terms of where to mount accessory rails and (3) its a made by a company that supports 3-gun.  The free float tube on my rifle is a DPMS and I think it does just fine, too and they do plenty to support 3-gun.

Dave,

Yes for 3 gun. I was also looking at the DPMS Carbon Fiber tubes. They look like a good value. My upper is a DPMS.

Are you in Louisiana yet?

Jim

I have just recently bought a Bushmaster Varmiter that has the aluminum free float handguard.  It is vented and has a really nice checkered gripping surface.

You might want to also check out the DPMS carbon fiber handguard.  You can't mount anything on it, but it supposed to not heat up.

Jake,

I agree regarding the DPMS carbon fiber handguard. I'm thinking that is where I may end up as I don't mount anything on my handguard. Nice shooting this Sunday BTW.

Jim

Depends upon your specific needs. For max versatility, I would go with either the DPMS vent aluminum or Al's Custom Indexable vent aluminum.

For lightweight and heat handling properties, Clark Carbon Fiber. It's the lightest on the market and we offer it for the shorty as well as full length. $ 100

750be223.jpg

Depends upon your specific needs.  For max versatility, I would go with either the DPMS vent aluminum or Al's Custom Indexable vent aluminum.

For lightweight and heat handling properties, Clark Carbon Fiber.  It's the lightest on the market and we offer it for the shorty as well as full length.  $ 100

750be223.jpg

Renee,

Most 3 gun matches here in the Midwest are at ranges under 100 yds. So light weight is generally desirable

The handguards on my 16" bbl DPMS upper are 7" +/-. Which Clark Carbon Fiber model would fit this ?

Thanks,

Jim

I have just recently bought a Bushmaster Varmiter that has the aluminum free float handguard.  It is vented and has a really nice checkered gripping surface.

You might want to also check out the DPMS carbon fiber handguard.  You can't mount anything on it, but it supposed to not heat up.

Jake,

I agree regarding the DPMS carbon fiber handguard. I'm thinking that is where I may end up as I don't mount anything on my handguard. Nice shooting this Sunday BTW.

Jim

Jim,

Not yet. I'm on standby.

When my wife ordered my Gator from Clark's - they were between the carbon fiber and the aluminum. Joe talked with Jim Clark, Jr and they decided on the aluminum because of durability.

JP (fat and thin style are both great)

DPMS

Clark Fiber

Bushy vented lumynum

All good, but I love my JP phat guard (not the skinny one) better than any other on any AR I have ever tried PERIOD

--

Regards,

Depends upon your specific needs.  For max versatility, I would go with either the DPMS vent aluminum or Al's Custom Indexable vent aluminum.

For lightweight and heat handling properties, Clark Carbon Fiber.  It's the lightest on the market and we offer it for the shorty as well as full length.  $ 100

750be223.jpg

Rene,

I reaaaaallllllllly like the look of the carbon fiber :wub: but it looks like a one piece handguard. How much of a PITA is it to get it tight and correctly indexed ?

I reaaaaallllllllly like the look of the carbon fiber  :wub:  but it looks like a one piece handguard. How much of a PITA is it to get it tight and correctly indexed ?

You'll need a differnet barrel nut wrench and block for the upper reciever. But it is well worth the extra tools.

FREE FLOAT TUBE WRENCH

UPPER RECEIVER BLOCK

Another +1 for the Clark handguard. Ive used it in the past and I am planning a build here in a few months using this handguard.

post-2283-1125509114_thumb.jpg

post-2283-1125509135_thumb.jpg

I reaaaaallllllllly like the look of the carbon fiber  :wub:  but it looks like a one piece handguard. How much of a PITA is it to get it tight and correctly indexed ?

It is a 1 piece. NO PITA at all. All you need is a receiver block and Craftsman Rubber strap wrench. We'll cut and finish to any length you specify.

It is a 1 piece. NO PITA at all. All you need is a receiver block and Craftsman Rubber strap wrench. We'll cut and finish to any length you specify.

Reene

I tried using that method, I ended up breaking the strap wrench b4 i could get the barrel nut aligned for the gas tube.

Reene

I tried using that method, I ended up breaking the strap wrench b4 i could get the barrel nut aligned for the gas tube.

Jim said you need the 1" wide model (red one) and are welcome to phone him and he'll walk you through the installation.

00945570000-190.jpg

well, I suggest the full length handguard for both the 16" and 20" if you are shooting 3-gun with it.

I have the yankee hill, and it is nice, but the JP is definitely a better design hands down, and the price diff isn't that great.

If you want light, the clark is REAL light.. and cool looking.

If you want insulating and cheap.. armalite.