Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Soft shooting ammo for P320 - PPC/Steel etc.

aalbert

Local club hosts a PPC style match, with no real power factor on targets that range from 7yds to 50yds .. Due to having no space to reload (live in an apartment) I am looking for an affordable off the shelf ammo to use for these matches in a P320 X5 (with Springer rod, so I can adjust the spring as needed)..  What has a light recoil pulse, relatively accurate, and yet still affordable (i.e. not Precision Delta or Atlanta @ $25+ a box of 50)?

Thanks.

All the main commercial 9mm 115 gn ammo has about the same recoil impulse in my experience. WWB, UMC/Rem, etc. Wolf and Tula steel case is softer, but very dirty. Federal Syntec line is a bit softer, but not $8 a box, which was part of your stipulations. 

Reloading is about the only way to get cheap light loads probably. 

Doesn't necessarily have to be $8 a box, hell I would go with $11-13... This is for my almost 14yr old son to use in practice and when competing in matches (shooting against a lot of guys who are using creampuff 38 special loads)  ... In addition to centerfire pistol he also shoots Olympic style smallbore, so you can imagine my monthly outlay on ammo is pretty high... I have all of the equipment to reload, but it is on loan to somebody else, as I really don't have the space to dedicate a full table just to . reloading.

I did order 1000rds of Federal Ultra Target and Range - hopefully it is a little softer... Been using Winchester Forged, Federal Bulk, and Magtech till now. 

22 minutes ago, aalbert said:

I have all of the equipment to reload, but it is on loan to somebody else, as I really don't have the space to dedicate a full table just to . reloading.

For what it's worth, I made a reloading bench out of an old Black and Decker folding Workmate.  Used a flat piece of plywood on the top and I mount my presses on wood bases.  No problem at all if I wanted to remove the presses and fold the bench up.

It would be a bit of a pain in the ass, but definitely "portable"...

On 2/13/2019 at 11:01 PM, aalbert said:

What has a light recoil pulse, relatively accurate, and yet still affordable (i.e. not Precision Delta or Atlanta @ $25+ a box of 50)?

To meet your criteria, go to sgammo.com and get a case of 124gr 9mm instead of 115gr.  They usually have Magtech, Blazer Brass, American Eagle, S&B, Speer, etc. in 124 gr for ~$165 to ~$180 per case plus $16 shipping.  The 124gr has a better recoil impulse than 115gr for me and it has been more accurate.  FYI: if you see "9mm NATO" it is 124 gr but it'll be hotter, like a +P.

On 2/15/2019 at 6:55 PM, CZ173 said:

Umc and perfecta are soft but not accurate at all

I can't speak to UMC but before I started reloading I shot thousands upon thousands of rounds of Perfecta, used it to compete, shot level 2 & level 3 matches with it, etc.  It was surprisingly very clean & very accurate for me, especially for such cheap bulk ammo.  It consistently chronoed at 137 PF for me through a CZ P-09 4 1/2" barrel.  I never had a failure with Perfecta.  Fiocchi made that Perfecta stuff and what you see in the current Fiocchi blue boxes is the same stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

There are a ton of people that load in appartments.  My last place had no basement no garage and the other bedrooms I had rented, so I loaded in my closet.

Google portable reloading setup.  You can buy your brass cleaned and rolled, So theres no need to have cleaning equipment and sell your dirty.  everything else could fit in a shoe box.