Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger problem

Just installed the LaRue mbt trigger in my Colt 9mm with spinta bolt. It appears 1 out of 5 times the trigger does not reset when I hold the trigger and rack the bolt.

anyone have this problem? If so can you fix it or just go to another trigger?

I’ll shoot it tomorrow 

I have had a similar problem before with a AR gold trigger in one of my pccs. What I found to be the issue wasn't the trigger its actually the bolt.  Most of the 9mm bolts on the market are made to the spec of the people selling them instead of a set standard. So you see lots of variance in them. The issue with the ones that won't reset the trigger is due to the area that cocks the hammer not being tall enough. I have four different bolts and they are all different heights. I have two bolts that will reset any trigger that I have tested. A Lead Star Arms and a Brownells. Both are almost Identical to the faxon gen 2 bolt. There are a few guys on the forums that have added a weld to their bolt to make it reset the trigger. I don't remember exactly where I saw it but they posted pics and explained what they did. Hope this helps.

12 hours ago, Mac-pcc said:

I have had a similar problem before with a AR gold trigger in one of my pccs. What I found to be the issue wasn't the trigger its actually the bolt.  Most of the 9mm bolts on the market are made to the spec of the people selling them instead of a set standard. So you see lots of variance in them. The issue with the ones that won't reset the trigger is due to the area that cocks the hammer not being tall enough. I have four different bolts and they are all different heights. I have two bolts that will reset any trigger that I have tested. A Lead Star Arms and a Brownells. Both are almost Identical to the faxon gen 2 bolt. There are a few guys on the forums that have added a weld to their bolt to make it reset the trigger. I don't remember exactly where I saw it but they posted pics and explained what they did. Hope this helps.

The 308 caliber Gold trigger has a higher hammer to cure that problem

A friend of mine that is a machinist is actually who found his bolt to not be tall enough and told me.  When I measured mine I had the same issue. Most companies I think copy the old colt design spec and roll with it. The problem with that is that the colt 9mm originally used a different hammer that was a little taller but very similar height wise to a milspec hammer. Most of the aftermarket triggers are made for a standard AR-15 bcg and not the colt 9mm bolt that has a shorter cocking area. I'm glad to share the info so people don't have to spend a bunch of money on trying to find a trigger that works like I did when the problem is more than likely the bolt. 

Thanks, got a email from LaRue saying the mbt will not work with a 9mm carbine .

I also went to the range to try it, out of 50 rounds, one double and 4 hammer followed the bolt. Will pull it out tomorrow and put the factory Colt trigger in

3 hours ago, Startingover said:

I am always surprised how many people are not using a PCC specific trigger.

it's all about the bolt, hammer, and sear

if the back of the bolt is cut and ramped properly, it should work with most ar-15 triggers.

wouldn't blame it 100% on the trigger

8 hours ago, Startingover said:

I am always surprised how many people are not using a PCC specific trigger.

Not needed with the TACCOM bolts......the only trigger we've found issues with is that Geisselle (or how ever it's spelled) trigger.....even that one we've had customers say it works, we just do not (nor do they) recommend them.

• 5 months later...

Installed a LaRue MBT on my Angstandt AR9 6" barrel SBR and when i tested it 4 out of the 4 shots i fired it did not reset but chambered a round..but in dry fire - racking charging handle and releasing trigger it will reset...did not have this problem on same gun with RRA 2 stage trigger.