Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3-Gun scopes~ my list help me decide~

chgofirefighter

Need some guidance in selecting a scope for competition shooting, 3-gun.  I’m leaning towards these brands, Leupold, Vortex, Steiner, C-More and Athlon, line of products.

Good quality supersedes magnification, you can have all the magnification in the world but if you have crappy glass it won’t make a difference.  I have a budget in mind, $1000+ give or take.  I know this is not a lot of money for a scope but I don’t have the means to purchase 2 or 3k scopes.  So here it goes.

1)   Steiner P4Xi- 1-4X24 $666.69 this scope has German glass and it’s made here in the USA. Discounted price $499

2)   Leupold VX-6HD 1-6X24 $1819.99 MSRP discounted to $1000.99

3)   Vortex Razor Vortex Razor HD 2 E MSRP $1999 discounted to $1100

4)   C-More C3 scope 1-6X24 $1299 discounts to $800+

5)   Athlon Cronus BTR 1-6X26 ATSR2 SFP IR MOA  $989 discounted price

So far I have personally seen the Vortex scopes, the Razor and the Viper PST, Razor truly does have an amazing glass and the Viper glass is about 85% close to the Razor.  Another one that I love but doesn’t come in 1-6 is the Steiner P4Xi, now this scope glass is truly amazing but it’s only a 1-4 but it has holds for 600 yards.  I don’t see myself shooting 600 yards in a 3-gun competition.  So far the last 3 I’ve competed has been 300 to 400 yards and I was using a crappy primary arms scope. 

I haven’t seen the Leupold VX6 but Leupold is another company with amazing quality and superb glass.  Another great option is C-More C3 scope but sadly I haven’t personally seen this scope up close and the others such as Athlon I don’t know much about them but my research and reviews many people are happy with their products.  Supposedly, both Athlon and Vortex scopes are made in the same company, but what do I know… 

So here’s my list….  Thanks for the assistance, guidance and suggestions…

Edited by chgofirefighter

All the scopes you have listed will do the job well, however I tend to prefer Vortex over the others. I tend to choose Vortex because of the warranty, I’ve had to use the warranty on a few occasions and I’ve always had my scope back within 2 weeks. I like knowing that if I have spent 1k+ on an optic if there is an issue with it I know it will be fixed or replaced no questions asked. 

I think if they collected data at most respectable 3 gun matches, the dominant optic for shooters paying for their own optic is a Vortex Razor.  I think it's for a good reason, primarily glass clarity and functional reticles.  There are other great optics too and those are some nice optics you listed.  I would look at your load and the reticles in Strelok and see what works well with your load.  The C More TJ reticle for instance was designed by Todd Jarrett for his Match load which is a fast moving 77 gr bullet and I think that would work well for IMI Razor Core 77 or MK 262 Mod 1 also.  If your shooting a 75 or 77 grain bullet going 2500-2600 fps the VMR2 MOA reticle in the Razor would probably work better than the JM1.  But the main thing is to have decent glass so you can see your target, you will get to know your reticle.  I would not get a 1-4 unless your looking for a lightweight build.

Vortex has seemingly lost a lot of popularity.  I was never impressed by them, I had 3 Razors, I still have a 3-18 on a bolt gun.  I liked the Swaro and still use one you may be able to find one in your budget. They don't have the great warranty of the Vortex.  I also liked the VX-6 I had 2 of them and the C3 had 1.  I think any of these will serve you well.  

I’m in the buy once, cry once camp.

Save your money, troll various gun forums and look for a used high end optic.

Schmidt & Bender 1-6

Swarovski 1-8

March 1-8

Meopta 1-8

Nightforce NXS 1-4

Nightforce NX8

I would look for those...plenty of people moving up & down the optics ladder.

On 1/29/2019 at 9:11 PM, Rescue1 said:

I love my Steiner. It is only a 1-4 but It hasn't held me back yet.

I was told that Steiner glass quality is pretty amazing for its price point, not sure about the 1-4 magnification though but I was told that this scope has holdovers for 600 yard shots.  Lastly, I was told that glass clarity beats out magnification, but what do I know...  I'm new to all of this and I'm just trying to purchase a scope without breaking the bank.  But it looks like that the happy middle ground is the 1k mark :(

On 1/30/2019 at 7:12 PM, Localizer said:

I’m in the buy once, cry once camp.

Save your money, troll various gun forums and look for a used high end optic.

Schmidt & Bender 1-6

Swarovski 1-8

March 1-8

Meopta 1-8

Nightforce NXS 1-4

Nightforce NX8

I would look for those...plenty of people moving up & down the optics ladder.

Trust me I totally get it~  But when you want something like now, you don't have time to be lurking around.  But I'm in the same boat as you are, buy once cry once and be done!  I just don't want to charge my American Express card for a 3k+ scope