Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp Erosion

sweetback

If you are using the comp to make noise for the timer to pick up, don't worry about it as long as the bullet doesn't strike the comp.  If you  are using the comp to control muzzle rise, replace it.

• 1 month later...

there is absolutely no reason to have a Comp on a rim fire gun.  it does nothing (do the basic physics calculations) & can cause many issues - accuracy being one of the most important

8 minutes ago, Nimitz said:

there is absolutely no reason to have a Comp on a rim fire gun.  it does nothing (do the basic physics calculations) & can cause many issues - accuracy being one of the most important

Absolute hogwash.  They are used in competition on both rimfire pistols and rifles to get assured interaction with the timer with no basic physics or calculations to say a reputable, good condition comp, not physically interfering with the bullet as it passes, would have any effect on accuracy nor any other issue that can be named.  Enjoy your book and dry fire banners, but you’re dead wrong here.

21 hours ago, Nimitz said:

Sorry, my friend, but I'm calling BS on this one. A comp makes the gun louder and that helps the RO ensure times are picked up the first time. 

Ditto on the comp or a muzzle brake helping the timer pick up shots..... That being said the comp does alter the POI in my experience.  No big deal as long as you sight in the gun the way you are shooting it ( with a comp )   Don't believe me  Take a ransom rest and shoot with and with out and watch the POI move.  Back when I was shooting Bullseye I got rid of the comp for that discipline ….  YMMV

On 3/3/2019 at 11:16 AM, Hammer002 said:

Absolute hogwash.  They are used in competition on both rimfire pistols and rifles to get assured interaction with the timer with no basic physics or calculations to say a reputable, good condition comp, not physically interfering with the bullet as it passes, would have any effect on accuracy nor any other issue that can be named.  Enjoy your book and dry fire banners, but you’re dead wrong here.

Well we agree to disagree .... never had an issue with a timer even once at a major and it’s not my responsibility anyway, it’s the ROs, set sensitivity correctly and hold the timer where you are supposed to and it picks up shots every time .  The physics don’t lie as far as their value and you said it yourself ... ‘good condition’ and I would guess that many folks comps are not in good condition ... ref the OP .... :)

many people love to use a material solution to address an operational issue, it’s easier but not always the best long term answer ...

Edited by Nimitz

On 3/4/2019 at 8:34 AM, ZackJones said:

Sorry, my friend, but I'm calling BS on this one. A comp makes the gun louder and that helps the RO ensure times are picked up the first time. 

You guys all just love  to use a material solution to address an operational issue instead of fixing the underlying tasks, procedures and techniques ... you all would fit very well in the military acquisition system 😬

13 hours ago, Nimitz said:

You guys all just love  to use a material solution to address an operational issue instead of fixing the underlying tasks, procedures and techniques ... you all would fit very well in the military acquisition system 😬

That's just not really how it is.

Lots of shooters use standard velocity ammunition out of not-short rifle barrels.  On a .22, that makes them very quiet.  And some clubs have bays that are close to each other, such that turning up the sensitivity on one particular timer means it picks up the shots from the Open gun in the next bay.

"Turning up the sensitivity" and "hold the timer where you are supposed to" (i.e. right under the ejection port) isn't always something that is possible, depending on the club layout and format.

As such, a number of people put comps on their guns to forstall problems, and so they don't have to reshoot strings.  Claiming that they are doing it wrong is simply factually untrue---even more importantly, those people are attempting to help ROs and clubs run matches with fewer issues (by making their guns more likely to be picked up by the timer), so deriding them for doing something that doesn't hurt them in the slightest, and helps others, seems odd.

Well said Thomas    Nothing worse as a RO to say "didn't get the last shot" esp if it seemed to have been a fast string... the problem rarely is with pistols and as you said SV ammo and longer non comped rifle barrel's  are a missed shot waiting to happen  

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:34 AM, ZackJones said:

So from this one might assume that you shoot stock guns, so as to not "use a material solution, etc"

Or, maybe you tweak the stock to make it better, stronger, faster?

Makes one very curious indeed...

Edited by Dr. Phil
space limitations