Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyine shoot a lot with a gen 3 upper in gen 4 lower?

B_RAD

I shot a few rounds thru the other day. Just wondering if anyone has shot a lot with the gen 3 upper on the gen 4 lower?  

I got gen 4 set up for CO. I removed the finger grooves and stippled the grip. My gen 3 upper can go on if I want to shoot irons. 

I've shot maybe 100 rounds, functioned and seemed accuracy was similar.  The only issue to me was the poi was different between the frames.  Signaling, to me, that the lock up wasn't the same.  So I just worked on the Gen 3 until it was as good as my gen 4!

20 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

I've shot maybe 100 rounds, functioned and seemed accuracy was similar.  The only issue to me was the poi was different between the frames.  Signaling, to me, that the lock up wasn't the same.  So I just worked on the Gen 3 until it was as good as my gen 4!

I thinkine was more accurate. POI was same. Group was tighter. 

I'll probably just do a grip job on the gen 3. 

4 hours ago, B_RAD said:

I thinkine was more accurate. POI was same. Group was tighter. 

I'll probably just do a grip job on the gen 3. 

Every time I’ve tried to flip flop things, change uppers, barrels, top ends, etc., it’s always been more trouble than I thought it was worth. Get to stippling 🙂

I've put several thousand through a g34.  I have seen no ill effects.  For me the only benefit is the beaver tail.  Accuracy may or may not be affected by swapping uppers.  Apparently the slide lock/take down lever has great affect on accuracy.  If I switched frames and lost accuracy I would switch the slide lock as well.

I've put 3-4k thru my CO setup that is a Gen3 slide on a Gen4 frame with no issues at all.Running a DPP , 13lb recoil spring, Overwatch Precision Poly DAT trigger with Zev extended striker,4lb striker spring and stock connector.Everything is polished.......getting 3.0 lb trigger measured on a digital trigger gauge. :) I have no problems popping steel plates at 25-35 yards.....so i'd say accuracy is GTG.

On 1/27/2019 at 5:55 AM, DeweyH said:

I've put several thousand through a g34.  I have seen no ill effects.  For me the only benefit is the beaver tail.  Accuracy may or may not be affected by swapping uppers.  Apparently the slide lock/take down lever has great affect on accuracy.  If I switched frames and lost accuracy I would switch the slide lock as well.

And you can add a beaver tail to your gen 3 lower for ~$10 to $20. Check for them on eBay. I got the pair with two different surface textures to pick the one preferred. Put these on my gen 3 G17 and G35. The G22 gained a beaver tail from the Crimson Trace red laser installed.

1 hour ago, Paul49 said:

And you can add a beaver tail to your gen 3 lower for ~$10 to $20. Check for them on eBay. I got the pair with two different surface textures to pick the one preferred. Put these on my gen 3 G17 and G35. The G22 gained a beaver tail from the Crimson Trace red laser installed.

But , correct me if I'm wrong......illegal in USPSA Prod and CO.....because Gen 3's did not come with beavertails from the factory.Gen 4's did , therefore legal.

10 hours ago, assaultthesalt said:

But , correct me if I'm wrong......illegal in USPSA Prod and CO.....because Gen 3's did not come with beavertails from the factory.Gen 4's did , therefore legal.

Touché.

I was thinking about grip mechanics not competitive legalities.

Is it legal to compete with a Gen 3 upper on a Gen 4 lower? That’s not how the lower came.....

How many angels dance on the head of a pin? Sometimes that is how these rules feel. 

11 hours ago, Paul49 said:

Touché.

I was thinking about grip mechanics not competitive legalities.

Is it legal to compete with a Gen 3 upper on a Gen 4 lower? That’s not how the lower came.....

How many angels dance on the head of a pin? Sometimes that is how these rules feel. 

I emailed Troy on that subject and he said it was ok as long as both are on the production list. 

Now going from 9mm to 40 s&w I think I heard that was not ok.

But before you take my word, send an email to Troy dnroi@uspsa.org and get it officially.  Then print and keep with range gear.

If the slide and barrel are the same caliber and contour as the original, the slide swap should be legal. This is one rule that should be thrown out. Who cares if you put a gen 3 g34 upper on a gen 4 g22 frame? Or buy a 9mm conversion barrel for a g35?

highly unlikely to ever get caught though. This is the production appendix. 

C274347F-BD66-4926-8449-FDDE003C5162.png

Edited by HCH