Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Holster for Glock 35 USPSA Limited?

JohnnyD

What holster would you guys recommend for limited?  I'm about to pull the trigger on a Glock 35 Gen4 and add a few goodies for USPSA Limited.  I also will be shooting it in Steel Challenge with a KKM 9mm conversion barrel eventually so I'm leaning towards race holster?

DAA Racer maybe?  They aren't too expensive.

Bladetech/Comptac on a BOSS Hanger?

Hello: I have Comp-Tac, Blade Tech and a Safariland with the USPSA mount. The USPSA mount makes all of these holsters faster. You can put it in any position because of the ball end mount. TGO has a video about it for his production rig. Once you practice with one of these holsters they are just as fast as a race holster. I have seen more than one person who can draw with an enclosed holster faster than most can with a race holster. The Boss mount needs shims to adjust the distance from your body and angle on the vertical plane, where the ball does this easily. I had a couple of DAA Racemasters and I am faster with my limited pistol with the Blade Tech. Not by much but the secure feeling in the holster when I draw is what I think it is. Pick one and practice. Thanks, Eric

Red Hill Tactical with a Boss.  I took a class where the instructor measure our draw.  I and one other student were fastest to first shoot.  We both were using similar close holster, his was a Bladetech.  We went up against several open guys and gals and limited guys with race holster.  He wanted to prove a point.  Holster was not as important as training and practice.

1 hour ago, dlightning said:

Red Hill Tactical with a Boss.  I took a class where the instructor measure our draw.  I and one other student were fastest to first shoot.  We both were using similar close holster, his was a Bladetech.  We went up against several open guys and gals and limited guys with race holster.  He wanted to prove a point.  Holster was not as important as training and practice.

Yes, but sometimes the “open air” race holster is necessary, such as when you have a frame weight on the rail and a left thumb rest on the frame weight. Pretty hard to get all that in a closed holster

I'd buy once cry once if I were you. If you might eventually add a frame weight or *thumb rest [generic]*, you might as well get a race holster now. No sense in getting a holster then buying another one down the road. Plus you can get all your practice in with that same holster now. I really like my new DAA Alpha-X holster. Also, if you change guns down the road, you can get a new insert for it and call it good.

On 1/21/2019 at 11:25 PM, Paul49 said:

Yes, but sometimes the “open air” race holster is necessary, such as when you have a frame weight on the rail and a left thumb rest on the frame weight. Pretty hard to get all that in a closed holster

Absolutely right with the thumb rest.  I don’t know if any close holster that can accommodate that feature.  

I ended up finding a closeout price on the DAA Racer holster for $100 so I picked it up.

I figured worse case the price I paid for it if I switch guns and need a different insert the price difference isn't much to just sell it off and buy a whole new holster.  I have no plans on switching platforms in the next few years as I want to carry same platform as my competition gun.

Still need to order a Safariland holster for 3gun as I don't think using a raceholster is wise.