Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tangoflio Limited 9mm Experience

o27

I´ve been offered a Tanfoglio Limited in 9mm from a fellow shooter in the local club. It´s been running in IPSC standard division the past 1-2 years.

It´s been upgraded with complete Henning trigger, Magwell, springs etc.

5 extra extended mags to accommodate 20 rounds.

It seems like a very good deal as I´ll probably be looking into half the price of a factory new model without any of the upgrades.

I´ve searched in here to get all the input needed on the Limited model (not the Limited Ultimate) but cant seem to find that much info - any other models it is to be compared to?

What´s your take, anything i need to pay special attention to?a1d003a75555cdcd3e5f30e9bb2474d0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1.  Big advantage to buying used and local, is that you can probably shoot the gun before you decide  :)

That gives you a LOT of useful info re: the gun

2.  I'm not familiar with IPSC, but in USPSA, shooting 9mm in Limited is a handicap - you need Major PF

and most people shoot a .40 Major rather than a 9mm.

Thanks for the input. We´re in Denmark, Europe and most seems to shoot 9mm, so I wont consider that as an disadvantage. He´s selling to get funding for an Infinity as two others have that in the club.

And I also considers it as an advantage that it´s from a local that have the entire history and yes I can shoot it all I want before making up my mind.

I see that the only comparable guns like SVI Edge, CZ Tactical Sports, CZ TS Orange etc. is rather expensive from new.

Can you guys see if it´s a smaller or large frame?

Looking at the slide cuts the gun is built before or around 2000 so it's old. I would personally pay max 600-700 for it. The magwell doesn't look like Henning. Not at least the new one. I have a 2003 Limited Custom and it has the new slide cuts so I base the age of the gun on that. Another club member has a 1998 and it looks like the gun in the pictures. If it has 20 round mags it's most likely a large frame.

The good thing is the 5 mags and Henning trigger. 

Let's break down the gun cost in Europe/Nordic countries.

Making a 20 round 9mm mags costs around 90-100eur per mag.

So you have say at least 400e worth of mags. If the springs are good. Also check the top of the mag tubes for cracks. The Henning trigger is around 140eur. You also have to consider you might need new grips for the gun to better fit your hands. Also looks like the hammer has been changed so that's another 70-90eur. 

So you have to consider what that stuff is worth to you.

I shoot standard division in minor as does most in our local club in Finland. It's an ammo cost thing for most since it's a hobby. Something fun to do. If you start spending lots of time and get really good you can always get a .40 later on.

Edited by Tirppa
Large frame

Hi Tippa.

Thanks a lot for the break-down, much appreciated. I´m looking at paying around 700 euro´s for it. And as you state it seems some monies have gone into the gun and accessories. It puzzles me if the gun is around 15-18 years, but unless I can see some significant issues, it still seems like an overall ok package for me as a new shooter, compared to buying a new stock gun in Denmark, is around 1.300 euros for a CZ Shadow 1 and 1500 for a Shadow two and also around 1500 euros for a Tactical Sport or +2.000 euros for TS Orange. 

Anhything particular to look for regarding wear and tear? In other words, what could make me want to walk away?

I would be comfortable on buying from the person as he´s a long time member in the club and I´ll be seeing him once a week plus trips to the range, as such I´m not likely to see the motivation for not making a mutually beneficial deal. 

Edited by o27

Externally, it looks fine. 

Internally... can't see.

Shoot it with GOOD ammo. If it's accurate, it's probably good. 

Wear items are springs, extractor and magazines.  heavy use wear items are sear, hammer, firing pin, trigger bow and barrel.    inspect the sear where it contacts the hammer.  if it's rounded, it's heavily used.  

My opinion, for the price it's probably well worth it.

If you like the gun and the price only thing that would make me turn down the deal is cracked frame, slide or barrel. Pretty much everything else is replaceable. As johnbu said check the sear and hammer contact points. 

When I was buying my gun I read somewhere to buy a gun you like. One that makes you want to shoot. Then again others think the gun is just a tool. Everybody around me told to buy CZ or 2011. But Tanfo's just did it for me. It was either used Stock 2 or Limited Custom in 9mm.

E: oh the Henning trigger is the front shifted one. Make sure you can reach the trigger properly.

Edited by Tirppa
Trigger

38 minutes ago, yigal said:

looks like  small frame .best choice .

if u find cz 75 mags and it will fit the gun ,so 100% small frame.

Adding to this, the magazines are visually very different. Small frame guns use magazines identical to CZ Shadows, which you’re probably familiar with.

Large frame guns use a much longer & slightly wider mag which will fit the lengthy 10mm cartridge - the large frames exist so that .45 and 10mm can fit in the gun. They’re fatter than Glock magazines. 9mm large frame magazines have a spacer up the inside of the back to keep the rounds positioned forward.

So a quick handling of the magazines, or even a photo of the gun with it’s mags should tell you indisputably. @johnbu can usually tell from photos if it’s large or small frame based upon the grip screw location, but I do not have that gift. :D 

Also... contrary to the names, large frame and small frame guns have nearly identical exterior dimensions. They feel pretty much the same in the hand. They just require different magazines and grip panels.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

45 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Adding to this, the magazines are visually very different. Small frame guns use magazines identical to CZ Shadows, which you’re probably familiar with.

Large frame guns use a much longer & slightly wider mag which will fit the lengthy 10mm cartridge - the large frames exist so that .45 and 10mm can fit in the gun. They’re fatter than Glock magazines. 9mm large frame magazines have a spacer up the inside of the back to keep the rounds positioned forward.

So a quick handling of the magazines, or even a photo of the gun with it’s mags should tell you indisputably. @johnbu can usually tell from photos if it’s large or small frame based upon the grip screw location, but I do not have that gift. :D 

Also... contrary to the names, large frame and small frame guns have nearly identical exterior dimensions. They feel pretty much the same in the hand. They just require different magazines and grip panels.

small  frame has smaller ejection port. in large frame  u can see half of the first locking lug. and  in  this pic. gun have small ejection port.😉

and i have  1  new  mag.  in 9mm  for large frame.🤨 somebody want it?😄

Just got insights to some of the additional upgrades;

- DPM recoil reduction

- Grams follower in Mec-car magazines

- Fiber sight front

- Sear leaver and hammer just replaced

- Small frame

- Serial number N02837 (but I cant find anything on Google based on that number)

- It was bought second hand in 2015 but was a new at that time, hardly used. 

Edited by o27

59 minutes ago, Tirppa said:

Tanfoglio will tell the manufacturing year based on serial number. I bought my 2003 gun 2nd hand last year and it was dirty but after cleaning it was obvious it was barely used.

Great, just wrong an email with the inquiry on the serial number, interesting to see if it pays off

Tanfoglio have returned with an reply on the request I sent on the serial number and it states it is originating from 1997.

That´s basically 22 years - despite all the upgrades mentioned in the thread, will that pose a risk of buying such an “old” gun or is that of little importance?

Had the chance to try it out this evening. Warming up with 100 rounds off a nice Hämmerli 215 .22lr and then tried out the Tanfo. It seemed to fit my hands og gripped ok, believe it would be even better with the smaller grips. Couldn't see any obvious issues, but also a noob in that regard. Could sense a bit of play in the slide, don't know if that's to be expected.

If I can reach an agreement on price and accessories I see it as a very good starter 9mm, especially also considering it´s buying of one of the local IPSC shooters and can rest assured on sparring, guidance and a helping hand to start with from the previous owner, which gives me great comfort.

Edited by o27

Slide to frame play isn’t a huge concern; if the barrel is fitted tightly into the slide it’ll be an accurate shooter. The sights move with the slide.

Tanfoglio is highly erratic when it comes to things like fitting slides. One gun will be super tight, the following serial number will have as much play as a high-mileage Glock.

Barrel to slide fit, or a sear cage beginning to loosen in the frame, would be more likely issues with a high mileage gun. Take a look at the locking lugs in front of the ejection port in the barrel and slide, and see how much you can wiggle the sear cage around when the hammer is back.

That said, I’d already have bought the gun. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic