Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the Brazos high performance edge worth it?

fieryotaku

I got the money to make a STI 9mm edge purchase and was wondering if the brazos edge is worth the extra 500 and the wait time when I have a local store with one in stock.  I was thinking I could use that 500 on magazines or ammo.  Is the brazos that much better?

I got the money to make a STI 9mm edge purchase and was wondering if the brazos edge is worth the extra 500 and the wait time when I have a local store with one in stock.  I was thinking I could use that 500 on magazines or ammo.  Is the brazos that much better?
An Edge is an Edge. they tune it to run more reliably but if you find yours is having issues you could always send it to them or somewhere like Atlas gunworks and they'll tune it if needed. Your plan sounds better. Get the gun now with ammo and get to work lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

well depends on how handy you are,  Plus if you have a few special tools. 
Basically you are getting
a trigger job,
a looksy to save a trip to STI for an issue.
Fiber optic front installed.
2 useable magazines,, VS 1 totally worth less one that ships with the gun (probably the biggest value),
Over size mag release.
Gee wiz wonder coat finish,, although I prefer blued as I can touch it up myself if I change something.

56 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

well depends on how handy you are,  Plus if you have a few special tools. 
Basically you are getting
a trigger job,
a looksy to save a trip to STI for an issue.
Fiber optic front installed.
2 useable magazines,, VS 1 totally worth less one that ships with the gun (probably the biggest value),
Over size mag release.
Gee wiz wonder coat finish,, although I prefer blued as I can touch it up myself if I change something.

I thought the new edges all came with a fiber optic front sight from the factory?  Also I heard the gen 2 mags they ship with now are much better.  Plus I could spend that 500 extra and get 3-4 tuned mags anyway.  Unless there is something I don't know about the factory mags.  Also is it possible to send it to brazos after the fact to get the work done on it?

Im just looking at the item description on Brazos webpage, you are looking at the actual gun in a local store, so what kinda sight is on it ?
The Brazos build says they install a fiberoptic, so I would assume it doesnt come that way. Its pictured with a steel blade.
Also the Brazos build says it comes with 2 140 mags.
The stock says it comes with a single 126 mag, maybe it will work with the funnel,, I know my STI Eagle came with the one magaazine that was pretty useless as it was too short with the funnel. Maybe an after market pad will work with these types though. 
Just a matter of deciding what the Trigger job is worth to you. I wouldnt ( and didnt ) pay for the tuned model.. But I have the skill and tools to do a trigger job and install sights.

12 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Im just looking at the item description on Brazos webpage, you are looking at the actual gun in a local store, so what kinda sight is on it ?
The Brazos build says they install a fiberoptic, so I would assume it doesnt come that way. Its pictured with a steel blade.
The stock says it comes with a single 126 mag, maybe it will work with the funnel,, I know my STI Eagle came with the one magaazine that was pretty useless as it was too short with the funnel. Maybe an after market pad will work with these types though. 
Just a matter of deciding what the Trigger job is worth to you. I wouldnt ( and didnt ) pay for the tuned model.. But I have the skill and tools to do a trigger job and install sights.

When I was in the market for a new limited gun I looked at the edge and was told all new ones come with 2 140s. 

It seems like there’s a significant chance of the gun needing some work if you buy a new STI. What the % is, idk. It may be 10% or 60%. There’s nothing worse then buying a new gun, a very pricey one at that and it not working and having to be sent back and being without for 2-3 months. It’s pretty much what turned me off from the edge, and I went with the SPS Pantera. And it ran perfect right out of the box and though the 4000+ rounds since. 

So buying from Dawson or braxos the gun will run no doubt. And i think bob does a trigger job, which the stock edge might need. And if it doesn’t come with a front fiber optic it’ll need that too. If you buy a factory edge and it needs those two things  it’s 140 for a drop in Brazos trigger, and man are they great, and the front fiber optic is pretty cheap. So you’d still be ahead by 300 bucks. Or who knows maybe the stock trigger is fine. The big question is will the gun run, and are you patient if not. I have no patience for expensive guns not working and immediately having to go back to the manufacture. But I still might take the gamble with the factory STI hoping I get a good one to save 500 and buy a new belt rig and some mags. It’s a tough decision man. 

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

so according to STI's website and the one I am looking at it has a fiber optic front and comes with 2 140mm gen 2 magazines.  Thing is I have a local smith that does a lot of 2011 work for the local competitors and I could probably bring it to him if I have any issues.

The fiber optic sight from brazos is the manny dot. It's is Bob's design and is $40 new. It is very narrow, .070 wide notch and it flares down to .090. I run one and personally love it. I'd say the extra $500 is definitely worth it if you are keen on all the upgrades. The biggest upgrade being chrome plating or DLC and Bob doing the trigger work, his kits are great as "drop in" form the guns I've handled so I'm sure it is a great trigger job after he touches it up. If it was between $2000 for a bone stock factory new edge or the brazos I'd go brazos all day long. Now if you can find an edge for $1700-1800 that's different. That is normally the going price anyway for a new or gently used edge. Heck there is a guy on the classifieds selling one for $1500 right now.

I got my edge in stock config for $1800 out the door with 3 140mm and 2 126mm mags. Then I just started the process of changing each part I wanted.

13 hours ago, ezra650 said:

The fiber optic sight from brazos is the manny dot. It's is Bob's design and is $40 new. It is very narrow, .070 wide notch and it flares down to .090. I run one and personally love it. I'd say the extra $500 is definitely worth it if you are keen on all the upgrades. The biggest upgrade being chrome plating or DLC and Bob doing the trigger work, his kits are great as "drop in" form the guns I've handled so I'm sure it is a great trigger job after he touches it up. If it was between $2000 for a bone stock factory new edge or the brazos I'd go brazos all day long. Now if you can find an edge for $1700-1800 that's different. That is normally the going price anyway for a new or gently used edge. Heck there is a guy on the classifieds selling one for $1500 right now.

I got my edge in stock config for $1800 out the door with 3 140mm and 2 126mm mags. Then I just started the process of changing each part I wanted.

I forgot the Brazos is also hard chromed. That costs a quite a bit of money. The blues edges don’t hold up very well over time. But chromed guns do. So 2000 for stock edge compared to 2500 for a Brazos seems like a deal. I’d get the Brazos. 

i have a bunch of sti's and love them all.  that said, having a real gunsmith go over the gun, and especially, do a trigger job, is worth it just to proactively deal with any possible issues up front (every company has a lemon here and there).  also get a 4 pak of their 'tuned' mags and if your gun is like my brazos edge, it will be 100% perfect in reliability.  not saying an untouched sti won't, but you remove any chance.

and btw, in speaking with dawson's recently, seems like they're doing their supertune pkg again (different animal from their CRP which is just some bolt on parts).  basically same thing as brazos hp.  i have a dawson supertuned eagle and also perfect (other than one or two ftf's over many years and many matches, that were mag-related).

Brazos Edge, no brainer. I'll be buying one once I get enough money together.

The chrome or DLC finish alone is worth 300-350 all by itself. Plus, it will already have everything done to it that you know you are going to spend the extra money on anyway. I'd rather pay the extra money up front and have something that rips right out of the box.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've purchased 3 guns from Brazos. They all run like a charm. Years ago I did have an issue with my Limited Gun 3 weeks before nationals. Contacted Bob about the issue. He paid for the freight both ways being shipped and had it back to me within 5 days. To me, service like that is worth the extra money. I wouldn't hesitate getting a few more from them.