Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of swapping out stock SP-01 sights for FO

matir

Though the SP-01 has tritium sights (cool), I'm thinking of swapping out for a fiber sight, at least for the front sight.  I'd like a slightly narrower front blade and I find FO sights easier to pick up quickly.  (I have a FO on my Buckmark 22).  As I understand it, this is legal for Production (Appendix D4, 21.6: Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, pins, extractors, magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties, triggers, hammers, bushings, and ejectors MAY be replaced with OFM or aftermarket parts.)

Has anyone else done this?  Is there a favored FO sight?  Seems like Dawson is the conventional wisdom here.  Should I go for 3 fibers, or is a single one easier to pick out?  (Yes, I know, some of this comes down to personal preference, but replacing the sights looks like quite an ordeal, at least for the rear sights.)

The Cz Custom 5.5 mm front sight will also work.  It does require being drilled for the retaining pin.  They sell the correct drill bit needed for $2 or so on their website.  Very easy to install.  I am using it with the fixed rear sight.  It did not change the POI when compared to the tritium front sight

4 hours ago, DesertTortoise said:

https://cajungunworks.com/product/ezd-9-40-for-9mm-and-40-sw/

Or they have an adjustable rear sight also

You will have to do some fitting (sanding the bottom face of the sights) untill they go into the dovetail. Or you can get a gunsmith to do it for you

+1 on this sight set.  I've been happy with them.  

5 hours ago, DesertTortoise said:

https://cajungunworks.com/product/ezd-9-40-for-9mm-and-40-sw/

Or they have an adjustable rear sight also

You will have to do some fitting (sanding the bottom face of the sights) untill they go into the dovetail. Or you can get a gunsmith to do it for you

That looks like exactly what I had in mind.  I don't mind fitting it, but zeroing in the new sights is not something I've done before...

I just installed a set of Dawson's on my new SP01.  They both required a small amount of fitting and despite having the groove under the front I still had to drill it as it was slightly out of alignment.  

The nice thing about Dawson's is they come with punches and their perfect impact policy so if they don't zero your covered.  I have found their competition kits with FO front and blacked out rear to be about the perfect sight picture but that's a personal preference thing so you would have to figure that out for yourself.  

4 hours ago, matir said:

That looks like exactly what I had in mind.  I don't mind fitting it, but zeroing in the new sights is not something I've done before...

Zeroing windage is pretty easy. Bring an aluminum or brass punch with you to the range and tap the rear sight left or right as needed. Then drop some blue loktite in the set screw hole and install the set screw.

zeroing elevation requires a taller or shorter front sight. Dawson has a calculator. (Or buy an adjustable rear sight). Keep in mind that different pistol loads (bullet weight) will shoot higher or lower by a few inches at that distance.

shoot at the longest range you can accurately group (20-25yards). 

I like to throw fiber optics on all my guns,  usually Dawsons. Maybe it's just what I'm used to but I feel like a can be more precise with competition FOs. I have a compact that still had factory sights and I'm going to get the one that deserttortoise recommended.