Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Telemarketing

benos

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

75% of my phone calls for the last two days have been from telemarketers!!!! It's getting so irritating. I mean it's ridiculous - I hardly ever get them, and if I do it's from a toll-free number (identifiable) or it's after 5:00 pm or so. But the last two days have been out of control. Every time I pick up the phone it's a bank or a mortage company. (And no I didn't just buy a house; I've lived in the same place for three years.)

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Hello? Is this .....

Yea, this is Benos

Sir, I have a golden opportunity for you if you will just..

Interuption from BE

Huhhhh Huuuhhhh Huhhhhh (sound of Heavy breathing)

Are you wearing any undies - Huhhhhhh Huhhhh Huhh (sound of Heavy breathing) then.... Can I have your home phone number?? Huhhhhhh Huhhhh Huhhhh (sound of Heavy breathing)

That oughta take care of em.

I know it's a pain, but don't just hang up, make sure you ask "Take me off your call list". Otheriwse they'll keep coming.

If it's a reputable company, they will do it, or get fined. it still takes 24-48 hours (who knows why), but it helps.

The new gambit is to use an automated dialer with the message:

"This is Mr. X.  I am calling for the adult of the house.  I have to make an important decision about you and you need to call me back at 800-XXX-XXXX immediately or I woun't be able to decide in  your favor."

I'm on the national do not call joke list, so by leaving a message, I give them automatic permission to call and call and call, not that my not calling has slowed the automatic dialer down.

All I want is five minutes with Mr. X and my Louisville slugger. We'll just see how good ya are about deciding which hospital is closest, a_-hole.

Brian, are you on the FTC's Do Not Call List? It really worked for me - I used to get about 5 or so telemarketing calls a day, now I don't get any. And I don't know how it is in AZ, if they have their own "Do Not Call List" like other states do.

I have to agree with jhgtyre as they might be getting your phone number from whois - I think that internic or maybe it's a local domain register offers a "stealth" registery that blocks personal info from the whois page.

C'mon guys we are shooters here.

Next time one calls...say "hang on a sec" then run a bill drill right next to the phone.

Good to go. ;)

That is very fun to do. :)

I forward business calls to my cell phone so when I've been on the range when I got telemarketers. I'll say, "hold on a sec", rip five or six off then say, "Yep he's dead".

Very fun responses.

Ted

Thanks for the private registration tip. I've always wondered how much difference that woud really make, especially since you have to pay for it. I'd pay for it in a heartbeat if thought it would be beneficial. (I'm with GoDaddy.) Sitting here thinking about it I realized probably the main reason I didn't opt for the private registration is that it reminded me of the phone companies tactics - you have to pay to not have your number in the phonebook. That's always irritated me.

be

Try the "Cactus" approach next time.  :lol:

http://www.phonelosers.org/tech_support.html

Holy crap - why was that so funny! I can't stop laughing just thinking about it. Now I'm listening to the "nooner," Mrs. Anus. :lol:

It's been years since I first heard the "cactus" clips. Still cracks me up and it's hard to get it out of your head once it's there!

Cactus! :lol:

Your store now closes 4pm! Don't pick it up.! Bad boy!

getting so irritating. I mean it's ridiculous - I hardly ever get them, and if I do it's from a toll-free number (identifiable) or it's after 5:00 pm or so. But the last two days have