Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 gen 5 hand load

Bobforshak

I recently bought a glock 34 gen 5 and the bullets are jamming in the chamber.  I am running 1.140 lenght 147 grain RN plated extream bullets.  I plan to lenghten the bullets to 1.150 and see how they feed.  Just wondering if someone had a prefered seating lenght also what loads and powder do u prefer.  i will be using titegroupe starting load 2.8 grains and chrono from there.  looking to be at around 125 power factor avererage 860 fps.

If your rounds are "jamming" in the chamber, it's more likely you need to reduce OAL, not increase it.

The Gen5 guns are said to have a shorter throat than previous generations as part of the "Marksman barrel" changes.

You need to do a plunk test, instead of picking arbitrary lengths.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, wtturn said:

If your rounds are "jamming" in the chamber, it's more likely you need to reduce OAL, not increase it.

The Gen5 guns are said to have a shorter throat than previous generations as part of the "Marksman barrel" changes.

You need to do a plunk test, instead of picking arbitrary lengths.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

This. Also, chasing a strict 125 power factor is not a good idea. Give yourself a bit of buffer...130-135 feels no different than 125. 

If the bullets are “jamming” in the chamber I don’t think increasing OALis going to help your cause. Usually stock Glock barrels have sloppy throats and long leads (increased realizability).

In the words of Dr. Evil, there have been literally “One Million” posts on finding your barrels OAL so not gonna rehash that.

If your not happy with the OAL, only options are a different barrel( but most after market barrels are tight) or ream your factory barrel. Or get an after market barrel and ream that.

That being said I know they’ve changed things in some of the newer Gen 5’s. My 19X has the newer style barrel and the throat and lead are much shorter than my other Glocks.

I have a Gen 3 G34 with an aftermarket barrel, and I shoot 124gr JHP so I can’t speak to your situation exactly.

I did shoot a few Xtreme PRN at 1.135” with 4.1grs TG. 1128 FPS with a 12.5 SD. Good load.

Same load with with Xtreme PHP at 1.100” gave me 1058FPS and 12 SD.

4.2grs HP-38 with PD JHP at 1.100” gives me 1038 FPS and 8 SD.

3.6grs TG with PD JHP at 1.100” gives me 1047 FPS and 5.7 SD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your shooting 125 power or lighter handloads in that Gen 5  with the factory RSA, it will not run.  That dual recoil spring assembly would not run my gamer loads at all.  I had to put an Jager rod and IMSI spring in.

I load N320 to 860ish at 1.145 (147 gr PD)  with no problems in 2 gen 5 34's, plus our other Glocks.

Will the gun run factory ammo?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys aircooled6racer was right the load was too weak. I finally chrono'd the ammo and it was around 790fps way under powered. I bumped the powder up to 3.1 gn and its between 850-870 fps just in pf.  My Cartradge length is 1.140.  I was shooting a Walther q5 previously and that's was my old charge, funny that a shorter barrel was actually faster than the longer 34, must be a tighter barrel.  

I was was looking at the cool fire trainer for dry fire anybody out there ever used it? Is it worth $400!!! 

Thanks guys