Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Everyday-Knive"

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DT & JG...,

Obviously I didn't stick it out long enough.  My eventual solution was to make a "stealth" model by epoxying a clip off a ball point pen into the lanyard hole.  Then I had a folder that looked like a Bic Roller...  

:)

Eventually that broke too and gave the whole damn thing up.  

I guess I have to dig out that yellow Rescue knife out of my backpack and trade it in one of these days.  Thanks for the tips!

E

SL-

Spyderco uses metal clips now, on most models you can move them for tip up/ tip down carry.

My recommendation for BM and Spyderco is based primarily on cost vs. quality of materials - both companies do a great job of providing exceptional value in blade steel, come with a razor sharp factory edge (not always the case with production knives) and generally exhibit tight quality control in the locking mechanisms and blade pivot, two areas that are critical to safe, reliable performance over time.

Nothing wrong with Kershaw, CRKT, or Camillus, but IMO they are not, price being equal, competitive with BM or Spyderco folders.

Let us know what you decide!

• 1 year later...

I keep finding new 'old' threads. :D

My everyday workhorse knife for about 20 years is a battered old Buck folding hunter. It does everything a knife needs to do. I have other's, folding and sheath, from a benchmade auto to a katana, but I am most likely to have the Buck in my pocket.

I can't keep a knife long enough(I loose them) to put any real money into it. I currently carry a Buck folder. Really out of the ordinary looking knife for buck. It is an Oddyssey 1- HCS. Metal pocket clip, locking blade, assisted one hand open. Holds an edge well and has a really sharp point. I use my knife several times every day at work and home. When I forget it in the morning I feel naked all day. :unsure: This knife ran me $35. Can't beat it for the money. Most expensive isn't always better. TXAG

For a few weeks I misplaced my Spyderco pre-Calypso. Sure, I substituted another knife for daily carry, but I felt crippled. Definitely one of my favorite tools. Finally found it down in the cushions of my armchair - while looking for something else, of course.

I've gotten ANOTHER Kershaw - Grrl's in love :wub:

Plus, a very nice, wonderfully awesome gentleman from these here forums is a knife dealer and gave it to me at his cost - holy crap is there a HUGE mark up on knvies!

In addition to my benchmade, I have been carrying one of those folding utility knives, the ones that have interchangable blades. After a month or more, I hardly reach for my benchmade, but due to its light weight, I will carry it a little longer. There are 2 different models of the utility folders, one is about 10 bucks, one is about 20 bucks. The "expensive" one opens a little easier, the cheap one has a quicker, tool less blade change (less than 5 seconds). You really should give them a try.

Mike

At the 03 Summer Blast I won a Kershaw Ken Onion Rainbow Chive in the charity raffle. I was awed by it's quality, beauty and sharpness --- but it was clearly too small for me to use safely --- so Carol wound up with it. Just before Christmas, I discovered the Rainbow Leek --- the Chive's big brother --- and immediately ordered one just for its looks. It's replaced a Benchmade and a Spyderco as my everyday work knife, a Spyderco Endura still rides in my left pocket as a food knife....

I carry several knives (redundancy is good!), but the one I enjoy carrying the most is my Cold Steel X-Large Voyager. It's fun when people ask for a knife and expect a Swiss Army Knife, but I hand a folding machete to them :lol:

Shooter Grrl...glad you like it! Yep, figure around 50% markup on most knives. EBay has some fairly good deals from time to time, or if you catch me when I'm making a big order I may be able to help save a few bucks :)

I carry (in uniform) a Benchmade D2 Axis-lock AFCK. I liked the liner-lock AFCK, and adore the Axis-lock version (and the D2 steel is pretty nice, too). That and a EOD SuperLeatherman (blasting cap crimper in the plier jaws. While I'm old and out of the "blowing things up" business, it is still nice to have a multitool).

In civvies, I carry just a Spyderco Calypso. When I dress like an adult, then a Kershaw Rainbow Leek like Shooter Grrl's (and Liota's, and Bill Powe's, and Fred Hindman's, and Cary Baker's...I ordered a dozen and a half of those knives when my distributor first got them...mine is the prettiest, though...heh heh...)

Alex

I gave my daughter's boyfriend a Rainbow Scallion for his birthday (yeah, I'll probably be a really cool father-in-law...if he doesn't cross me) and now he carries it all the time. Those are very nicely made and beautiful knives. The assisted opening feature is really the sh*t. I may need to get one for myself sometime, but as Wakal points out EVERYONE around here has one so there isn't much distinctiveness value. They do seem to have a high CDI (chicks dig it) factor, but I'm old and married so that doesn't do me much good.

What I actually carry is an old Browning two blade folder (I think the model is the "Fin and Feather"). One long blade that locks and one short blade. I actually like a knife I can drop into my pocket and I very rarely need to open my knife instantly with one hand. I like having two blades so I can keep one really sharp and keep one for stripping wires, cutting cans, etc. The knife I carry now is actually my second of the same model. It's only about 9 years old. The first one I carried for about 15 years. The blades were still in good shape but I had nearly worn the wood scales off of the handles.

Cheers,

Kelly McCoy

My everyday workhorse knife for about 20 years is a battered old Buck folding hunter.

Yeah for me too. But for the last 8 or 10 it's been a plain vanilla Leatherman and lately a Leatherman Wave. Absolutely indispensable!

Ed

Every day, a Benchmade/Emerson that is, like me, old, tired and scarred.

Got a SOG multi-tool thingie I've hauled up big mountains, used as a dive knife, cut drywall with and used to fix a couple of different crummy cars and good bicycles...just keeps on ticking. I loose it every couple of years, but it always comes home.

Trained with an Endura for a while, but it never really settled in. I have one of the Mike Janich designed Spyderco neck knives and I like it a lot.

Michael B

Until I finally lost it, my "tactical" knife was a Coleman (yes, Coleman) folding clipit that I bought at the hardware store for $11. Actually had good steel too....

My new clipit is a $29.99 Gerber special. (I just won't spend $80-100+ for a pocketknife anymore.)

I dream of someday owning a Chris Reeve Sebenza.

The problem is, it costs about 80% of what a decent factory 1911 costs. I can't get myself to spend that kind of money on a knife when Benchmade, Spyderco, Cold Steel, and dozens of other makers make excellent tools at very reasonable prices.

One of the best bargains on the market right now is the little folder Bob Dozier designed for Ka-Bar. It's less than $20 several places online, and it's easily as nice as most knives that cost 4-5 times as much.

kab4062.jpg

http://www.knifeoutlet.com/catalog/Kabar_Knives/KAB4062.htm