Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to Learn the 2011

saibot

Experts-

I am fairly new to the 2011/1911 platform and I really have no idea how to do much other than disassemble/reassemble it. I'd like to get a deeper understanding of how they work so I can troubleshoot them, fix them, fit new parts, etc. Any ideas on books/videos/courses/etc. to get more proficient with them?

Thanks again!

1 minute ago, saibot said:

Experts-

I am fairly new to the 2011/1911 platform and I really have no idea how to do much other than disassemble/reassemble it. I'd like to get a deeper understanding of how they work so I can troubleshoot them, fix them, fit new parts, etc. Any ideas on books/videos/courses/etc. to get more proficient with them?

Thanks again!

for the most part any book on 1911's will cover 99% of the 2011. I also know some gunsmiths will host groups of shooters if you ask them. They will charge a fee typically but it seems a great way to get a lot of gun/builder trivia. 

The YouTube videos helped me a ton and I quickly learned how easy it was to take them down completely and then put back together. That simple ability sure helps with trouble shooting and issue diagnosis 

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I did watch most of the Atlas videos already, good suggestion! Also found some good videos on the basics. I guess I would like to get more "gunsmithing" savvy and know how to work on things at a deeper level. I see AGI has some videos for sale, but not sure if those would be going overboard. I just bought a gunsmithing book on amazon that looks good. It had good reviews and the Kindle version was under $5. 
https://amzn.to/2PuvsEd 

Thanks again everyone for the posts. Keep 'em coming.

2 minutes ago, saibot said:

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I did watch most of the Atlas videos already, good suggestion! Also found some good videos on the basics. I guess I would like to get more "gunsmithing" savvy and know how to work on things at a deeper level. I see AGI has some videos for sale, but not sure if those would be going overboard. I just bought a gunsmithing book on amazon that looks good. It had good reviews and the Kindle version was under $5. 
https://amzn.to/2PuvsEd 

Thanks again everyone for the posts. Keep 'em coming.

The AGI video with Gene Shuey is a lot of information but great to learn 1911/2011 platform. Saved me a lot of money by not having to go to gunsmith ,well worth it. 

I just started with these guns myself about 2 months ago. I was really worried before that I wouldn’t be able to trouble shoot them or do any work myself, and i don’t have any good 1911 smiths near me. First thing I learned was how to take apart the slide, firing pin stop, the firing pin and extractor. That’s pretty simple. Then how to tune the extractors. There’s good videos on YouTube about this and how much tension they should have. I feel like I can handle this if the issue arises. 

Then for the .trigger group. Just take your gun apart, all the way down to the frame, or leave the grip on and everything else. Man first time I did this I thought I’d have to bring the box of parts to a gun smith. Getting the pin that holds the disconnector and sear is a pain in the ass. But I got it, then the thumb safety was another pain in the ass. But after doing all this it gave me a good understanding of how all the parts work and work together. I felt much better about this platform after I did this. There’s a really good video on YouTube on how to disassemble and reassembly a 2011 specifically. 

This should be all you need. Getting into fitting slides and barrels looks like a whole different animal that I’m not gonna touch. Maybe one day when I have the tools and more experience with these guns in general. That kinda stuff you’ll have to bring it to a competent gun smith. But all the other stuff is totally doable. 

Id like to pickup some good books or videos on a more in depth look into it now.