Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.5" 625 Enhanced Revolver

Randy Lee

Gary, you're absolutely right--in order for Sammy to become truly successful at this wheelgun game, he's gotta work to develop that special muscle just above the beltline that helps tip the moonclip holders out for fast access.

If you carefully inspect this photo depicting a group of fairly accomplished revolver shooters, you'll see what I mean:

Yup, somma dem boys been gittin their fair share of the taters.... :P

Waltermitty,

Being from Idaho and weighing 280 lbs. I can tell you a few things about taters! And my buddy Duck who goes about 325 lbs. knows even more. Carmoney will get to see Duck at Area 5 this weekend, my other Idaho buddys will also be there.

Good luck to all, oh ya, we also like pork chops! Dick

Edited by SIX SHOT

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is probably still hopping.  (He was probably the only one who tried it)

This past week while at the Steel Challenge I had the opportunity to check out and dryfire some of Randy's revolvers. I must say I was impressed - I almost left my revolver with him - but was able to contain myself ;)

I'd love to be able to try and see how these perform in live fire.

PMD

My guess is that Smith will offer some other variant.

Ken Jorgensen of Ruger is in the same boat. Until the powers that be can see and hold the end product, they won't budge. I will be working with Ken to make a couple of competition GP100s. Then down the road perhaps a MUCH lighter version of the Super Redhawk in .45acp and 8 shot .38.

Michael is pushing for the project in the circles, and I feel very fortunate that he is.

Television can have powerful sway in the decision making process.

I'm also pushing with Taurus, who seems to have had an epiphany on product quality lately.The cowboy guns coming out of Brazil these days are truly excellent, and the proto 1911 I handled has the earmarks of a real hit. Taurus has both the stainless steel frames and the ti cylinders presently in production, so it's not a long putt for them.

Fingers cross!

mb

PS: Full impression of Randy's gun is now up on my blog...

It's official, the 625-E 6.5" is dead. Too many units for too much money; too many other P/C exclusives that are not selling at other wholesale outlets. The problem I see is this, the development of special run guns on a whim with no real market testing or consumer based research. This whole thread has been a great excercise in focus group research. Now if only someone up the chain will realize it's value.

I must apologize to Randy Lee and all of you out there that were really fired up about the 625-E, we were not able to deliver. However, I persued the concept to the end as much as I could from my position. This whole thread has generated much discussion and a great flow of information. Personally, I have gleaned a great deal of useful information about revolvers in particular and shooting in general from this discussion.

Bummer. :-(

That's alright, if Smith won't follow up on the project, perhaps Taurus will. It just might be time for the competition to sneak past the PC in sales.

If, as Michael Bane has suggested, that Taurus is interested in upping the quality of their products, perhaps we will see a 6.5" Ti cylinder race revolver for around the same price as a standard 625.

As for me, I will still make the 625-E to my specs as it's too good of a project to let die. I'll report on the accuracy after I complete the barrel assembly. I just gotta build a sub 2" @50yd. revolver. Besides, I have to submit a revo for inspection by the APG. Labor of love...

Now that it's official, how can we jury rig our own Franken-gun version? Smith already makes the barrel profile we were looking for. Either get a vintage 25-2 blue barrel and use that, or get a 6" stainless barrel from a 629 and re-bore it to .451.

The Ti cylinder is the next problem. Randy, how difficult/expensive is it to get a spare Ti cylinder in the white from Smith. Are they willing to part with them? And at what price?

What do you think the projected cost for this would be? How much to buy a 6" 629 tube and ream it out? Would it be cheaper to use a .451 stainless Shilen blank and cut it the way you'd like?

I guess I'm not certain on whether a Ti cylinder would be USPSA legal. I would interpret Special condition #17, a revolver assembled from components, in US APPENDIX D10 to mean that you could because S&W produced a cylinder that would fit.

Is that a correct interpretation?

It seems to me that since the parts all come from S&W, and since we're allowed to change barrels, a 625E would simply be a 325 with a 6.5" barrel. Or a 625 with a Ti cylinder. Does USPSA care if I plug a 25-2 barrel into a 625 frame? A 25-2 cylinder in a 625? No. This would be no different. Getting parts, now that might be hard.

A better way to get the barrel we want would be a shroud and a .451" barrel blank. Boring and re-rifling barrels is pricey.

Following up on an email from Brother Sweeney, and in keeping with the current topic flying around on my blog, we made a simple mistake here...we should insisted on a Realtree camo metal finish, sling swivels and an accessory backpack for toting haunches of elk, pointing out that the Enhanced 625 was intended to be a HUNTING gun, not a COMPETITION gun.

Then the entire industry would have fallen over their own feet to get us samples ASAP, along with cammo moon clips, PLUS comp'ed me and Sweeney on some outrageously expensive trip to Umgahwahstan to whack the last surviving Pontiac's Great Big Humongous Goat!

I only thank heaven that I haven't become cynical!

Michael B